Hammock Top Quilt vs Ground Quilt

Is there a difference?

I've heard some quilts are better for the ground and some better for the hammock.

I've heard sewn in better for hammock and snap for the ground so you can use it as a blanket.

I suppose sleeping pad straps would obv be better for the ground..

I'm looking for a multi purpose 20 degree quilt for ground and hammock, anything I should stay away from? Looking at HG burrow and EE revelation right now. I own a 40 burrow, but have never used it on the ground.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    It's basically size. My hammock quilt is also my ground quilt so it's just a case of having a quilt that's too long and wide in the hammock (no big deal) and perfect on the ground.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    I second that - it's about size. Just like Scotty mine is perfect in the ground and in the hammock there's lots of quilt to snuggle into

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    It's definitely nice to have a wide quilt on the ground, but that width isn't really needed in the hammock.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I use my standard size HG Burrow for hammock, ground, and on my couch in the winter for TV watching. I don't think I've ever unsnapped it for any use in the many years I've had it. For ground use, just make sure it's big enough for good shoulder coverage and that it has a snap & drawcord at the neck to cinch it down. If I had it to do over, I'd get a sewn footbox.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Thanks for the responses. I don't consider myself a "wide" person, but I might order the wide version from HG, to kind help tuck under me. That the idea?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    While I agree that more width is needed on the ground than in the hammock; you don't want to wide because you have to heat that extra space to stay warm. To decide on width for my needs ...What I did was lay on my side and have my wife take a tape measurer and measure up - over shoulders - and down to get the width that would work on the ground. This mimics sleeping on your side. As far as "tucking" you want slight tuck to "seal" in air but the ground pad/insulation is just as important on the ground as it is in the hammock. You are actually laying on that insulation and not on the top quilt. I was really shocked that $5 Pad straps (you mention) make all the difference in the world when going to the ground. It makes the sleep system work together just like UQ/Hammock/TQ work when hanging.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarps
    Insulation
    EE Top and UQ
    As above, the width will be the main difference.

Another method to figuring out what size to go with: I've known a few folks recommend measuring out the width on a bed sheet that matches the quilts you're looking at. Use a some clothes pins to mark the sides, and then you have a good visual for how it'll actually fit you. Works to estimate the size of the footbox as well (just by pinning the sheet to itself at the same width as the footbox).

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer817 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I don't consider myself a "wide" person, but I might order the wide version from HG, to kind help tuck under me. That the idea?
    Also longer, especially if you sleep on your front on the ground (as you're feet will make you longer). Its also worth noting that the width can be reduced a bit if combined with a snug/fitted bivy.

I'm only a wide person when I curl up in a ball in the night to let the midges chew on my exposed bum in the night

• + New Posts