It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    If you want just one tarp, and don't mind the itty bitty extra bit of weight, a SWT sized tarp could be just the ticket for all year use. The ends can be pulled back out of the way for warmer and nicer weather (just use a bit of bungie or cord and tie each side's end tie-outs together on the inside of the tarp (hope that makes sense). This way it only needs 4 stakes to deploy, instead of 8. The tarp resembles a hex tarp done up this way.

It obviously won't cut any weight, but with a tarp this size you've got a full coverage tarp ready to deploy in the event of some nasty weather. It's nice having something large enough to do your camp chores and congregate under when it's raining cats and dogs.

I would obviously encourage you to check out Backwoods Daydreamer Gear tarps, but the SWT is advertised at 16oz. That's incredible for a tarp this size. I don't know how Ed does it. My Four Season, which is fairly similar in size weighs 19-20oz (stuff sack included) - his sil must be lighter, because there's no way I've got 3+ ounces of hardware over the SWT, even with D rings and longer webbing loops.

Personally - I like a bigger tarp even in the summer. I like being dry and am no fan of being cooped up under a tiny tarp in a good rainstorm.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The OES Winter Fly and the WB Super Fly look the same in dimensions. The difference I see is that the OES Winter Fly has sorta half doors that just fold over infront of the opening of the Tarp where as the Supre fly has removable doors that fully cover the opening of the openended tarp....would people agree....otherwise the look exactly the same to me...(mind you I have no field experience with either tarps and am also in the procecss of deciding my sleeping system. Ive decided on a larger tarp for all seasons just bc I hate the rain and ill carry the xtra weight to stay just a little bit more drier
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I made a tarp very similar to the Speer Winter tarp… If your ever in a blowing rain storm, which sooner or later you will be, the doors are very very nice to have… something to consider. Worth the extra oz’s to keep dry IMO…

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    If your ever in a blowing rain storm, which sooner or later you will be, the doors are very very nice to have… something to consider. Worth the extra oz’s to keep dry IMO…
    that's my train of thought on the subject. are there any other makes of tarp out there that i should consider that hasn't already been discussed in this thread?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1 View Post
    any other disadvantages other than more time to setup and a bit more gear to carry?
    Nope. I think that's it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles
    i got a four seasons tarp for scott and used it on the weekend and am extremely happy with it. i am not a big gram weenie but at the same time i dont like carrying a ton(my base weight is 22 pounds) my four seasons tarp weighs 24 ounces total with everything(guylines, stakes, figure 9s, tarp tensioners). i put about four foot of light shockcord with pretied loops roughly every sixteen inches. i can stake them out individually for a really large space or tie the ends together and close up the "doors" for more of a seal. i will definetly be using this tarp all year.( by the way when i hung this weekend on the deleware i ended up with my three friends sitting under my "porch" while it rained)

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    You will end up with several Tarp sizes... sooner or later... its going to happen...

this one.

I have:

Hennesy 5x8
    DIY 5x11
    Equinox 8x10
    JRB 10x11

I am sure others have way more than I.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I have two tarps, a JRB 10X11 and a SpinnTex OES 8X10. I've used the OES extensively and like it a lot. If you only have one tarp, it's the size I'd recommend. I like the JRB 10X11 for cooler weather, you can close it off and have something very near a tent if needed. Wish I could get one in SpinnTex.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Throwing in my opinion late, but I have the WB big mambajamba and using it in all 4 seasons here in AR and in one of the worst storms the buffalo river has seen in 60 years (including sideways rain and golf ball sized hail), and I've yet to "need" the doors. The tarp is so big and well constructed that it kept me and my down equipment dry in all those conditions. I always thought I would buy the doors later, but Brandon did such a good job on the tarp I'm not sure I need them.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I also like to have different tarp for different situations. If you have to pick one for now I would suggest the SWT or the JRB 10x11 b/c you will need the wind protection in BC. But unless it is going to be serious rain or very cold I take my OES every time. The p[ack size of teh OES vs the SWTplus double the amount of stakes really makes me appreciate the OES. I concidered getting a JRB 8x8 and that would be better yet for summer with only 2 tie outs. An OES spinn tarp is in my future along with a DIY Cuben.

However I may have a problem with gear addiction.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast