Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I've been using my UQP because it is pretty hot (currently summer here) and it seems to work well with no UQ. In winter I'll use an UQ and UQP.
    The UQP is very light and packs very small, no reason not to take one when you go camping.
    I'm using the Argon 90 in camo, cost $42 which I didn't mind.
    I'm curious... At what point temperature would you say you start to feel like you'd want an UQ as opposed to just the UQP?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I'm curious... At what point temperature would you say you start to feel like you'd want an UQ as opposed to just the UQP?
    I have no idea, if I'm feeling cold then I'd want to increase the insulation but I don't bother checking what the temperature is.
    Currently I'm using just the UQP under me and either nothing or a thin cotton sheet over top of me - it's been a warm summer here.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I have no idea, if I'm feeling cold then I'd want to increase the insulation but I don't bother checking what the temperature is.
    Currently I'm using just the UQP under me and either nothing or a thin cotton sheet over top of me - it's been a warm summer here.
    Good timing then. It seems to be a low of 16˚C (60˚F) there tonight. So I have my answer. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have one from a cottage vendor and I honestly don't think it does much. It's breathable and I can breath on it and feel the warmth coming through to my hand on the other side. This is without my mouth or hand touching the fabric, but an inch or so away.

I can also feel the difference when the wind blows. Just a few nights ago, it was only about 45*-50* and a light occasional breeze. I was using my UQP around my Incubator 20. Mind you I wasn't cold, but I could feel the temperature drop underneath me whenever I felt a breeze.

I've also tried the difference in using it and not using it on other nights and have not noticed a difference. I think I would like one that is less breathable and more wind resistant. I'm questioning whether it's worth carrying it any more unless I expect rain, which I have not had an opportunity to really test.

Can anyone recommend a fabric that is less breathable than the breathable stuff 2QZQ uses? I still like the idea of breathable, just not so breathable.

Or maybe there's a treatment I could do to this one that would make it less breathable?
    Last edited by SpitballJedi; 02-22-2016 at 08:13.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitballJedi View Post
    I have one from a cottage vendor and I honestly don't think it does much. It's breathable and I can breath on it and feel the warmth coming through to my hand on the other side. This is without my mouth or hand touching the fabric, but an inch or so away.
    You have wrong expectations. An UQP will not reflect warmth, it will just block the wind and prevent a quick exchange of air. It won't prevent heat exchange. Your underquilt should do this. If there would be a fabric that does what you expect from your UQP, it would be used in underquilts.

I can also feel the difference when the wind blows. Just a few nights ago, it was only about 45*-50* and a light occasional breeze. I was using my UQP around my Incubator 20. Mind you I wasn't cold, but I could feel the temperature drop underneath me whenever I felt a breeze.
    Have you set up your UQP correctly? If there are gaps on the ends or sides, it will be easier for the air to circulate.

Can anyone recommend a fabric that is less breathable than the breathable stuff 2QZQ uses? I still like the idea of breathable, just not so breathable.
    Which fabric did you pick? The 1.1oz ripstop or the Argon 90? I can't say anything about the 1.1oz ripstop, but the Argon 90 is pretty windproof. I'm not able to blow through the fabric when I seal my mouth with the fabric. I don't think you'll find a fabric that is discernibly more windproof.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I'm pretty sure it's the ripstop. It weighs 7oz and is the least expensive. I can hold it up in front of me and can feel the air from the AC vent coming through from 10 feet away.

I know that it's not intended as insulation, I can just tell it's not blocking wind as well as I would like for the extra weight. I will eventually make my own, the Argon90 sounds promising.

Since this one doesn't meet my needs, I may experiment with it to see if I can make it less breathable. I was thinking of a light coat of waterproofing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm pretty sure it's the ripstop. It weighs 7oz and is the least expensive. I can hold it up in front of me and can feel the air from the AC vent coming through from 10 feet away.

I know that it's not intended as insulation, I can just tell it's not blocking wind as well as I would like for the extra weight. I will eventually make my own, the Argon90 sounds promising.

Since this one doesn't meet my needs, I may experiment with it to see if I can make it less breathable. I was thinking of a light coat of waterproofing.
    I don't know if I'd make an UQP less breathable - doesn't sound prudent. 2QZQ makes a silnylon UQP, if you're into that sort of vapor barrier.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't know if I'd make an UQP less breathable - doesn't sound prudent. 2QZQ makes a silnylon UQP, if you're into that sort of vapor barrier.
    I don't think I want something that heavy duty because I still appreciate some breath-ability. But, if I put my mouth on mine, I can blow out a big candle from 6" away. I know that's not real world and I'm blowing harder than the wind (no jokes please..lol). I'm just saying it's too breathable for the extra weight IMHO for me personally.

When I first ever asked about getting a UQP, one from JRB made of DriDucks material was suggested. I have a set of those cheap FroggToggs rain gear and they are very light, somewhat breathable, and "waterproof". I was thinking of making an UQP out of that material if I can find it in sheets or maybe just use a poncho. It would be more fragile, but just as an UQP, I don't think that would be an issue.

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    In hot weather, a UQP as an UQ is a very lightweight option.

I use mine often enough that it stays attached to my hammock when packed.
    OK, now I HAVE to get one.
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    But, if I put my mouth on mine, I can blow out a big candle from 6" away. I know that's not real world and I'm blowing harder than the wind (no jokes please..lol). I'm just saying it's too breathable for the extra weight IMHO for me personally.
    I'm surprised to hear that. I have bought a couple of calendared ripstops for DIY, and I cannot blow through any of them. Where did you buy it? I would definitely contact the vendor and make sure they used calendared fabric. To me it sounds like you got uncalendared ripstop.

I don't think you can treat the fabric to make it windproof other than adding a coating which would decrease breathability. If you DIY, order some calendared ripstop (I can recommend Argon 90) and sew up a new UQP. The result should be much better than trying to "enhance" your existing UQP.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast