DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Earbud tip drip stopper

So inspired by southernexposure's sugru drip thingy, I thought I'd try something easier/cheaper, as I am both lazy and cheap

Quick and dirty test! This was so successful, I didn't wholeheartedly test any of the other options. I will eventually... I'm not quite sure how confident I am in how long wearing the earbud tip is.

Anyway, this is easy to remove, should be reusable/replaceable (though not easily in the field) and basically free!

So I got home tonight and rooted through some drawers till I found a broken pair of earbuds and some worn out whoopies. I pulled off one earbud tip and threaded it into the whoopie (open side towards tree) without much trouble.

After a drip test, I found the opening of the earbud tip was just a little too big; at anything past a light flow, water would start dripping down through the hole.

So I dug out some silnet, and dabbed a bead onto the convex side of the earbud tip, rotating it around the whoopie sling as I did so to ensure a seal. After a few minutes' drying time, I wasn't able to get water to drip past the earbud tip at all, unless the angle started approaching 75 degrees or so.

The plastic funnel I actually did test; i don't have a tiny one, like those used for perfume, so i knew this one was already going to be too big. On its own it is too rigid and the opening too large to be useful, but combined with the earbud tip (thread the tip on first, then jam the funnel onto the whoopie until the earbud tip seals off the funnel neck) it is essentially waterproof, up to and including 90 degrees vertical.

I imagine the best all around solution, but not one I want to cut up our only bulb syringe for, is to simply cut the bulb of the syringe in half and use my splicing tool to pull the whoopie sling through the neck, trimming off the neck until it is the perfect sized opening.

uploadfromtaptalk1445576183451.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445576201175.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445576341137.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's pretty creative. I've got a bunch of old earbuds in a drawer. I'll have to give this a try.
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Genius. I have to try this

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Interesting idea! I will test it.

I use thin plastic sheets to make "umbrellas". The advantage is: thin plastic sheets are available almost everywhere, the are free when made out of garbage and you can store them in your wallet.

Cut out a circle. In the centre should be a hole (1) with a diameter a little less the diameter of your rope. Then cut out a sector (2). The smaller the angle the flatter the umbrella will be.
    Now you can pull the centre hole over your rope and bend the sheet to a cone. Fix the cone with some duct tape and you are done.
    If you don't like to use duct tape you can make a cut to form a tongue (3) and at the opposite site cut out a little slit (4). When bending the sheet let the tongue hook into the slit. The umbrella will be more stable if thetongue end is outside and the slit end is inside the umbrella.
    To improve the stability you may add some more locks (shown in red).
    They work fine for me but your raindrops may vary.

Umbrella.jpg

And now I'm going to explore my drawers for earbuds.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I put the earbud tips on a set of Whoopies this morning. Added a touch of silicone and set them out to dry. Will give them the sink test this evening.

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Looking forward to some more tests! Like I said, I just did mine quick and dirty. I was surprised at how well the earbud tips worked for how small they were, so I was a little doubtful of my methodology. Would be great to know how it goes for y'all

The plastic cone is a great idea! Everyone has some old fruit containers from the grocery store laying around too.

I think the bulb syringe idea would be the only one of mine that would be really reusable. I've seen some where the bulb actually comes apart, so might actually be usable without destroying the original functionality.

Not that I've ever needed a bulb syringe out in the woods, but....

Hammock
    Yukon outfitters V2
    Tarp
    Y. O. Walkabout
    Insulation
    pending
    Suspension
    pending
    Another idea might be to use instamorph which is a thermoplastic. I buy mine at Amazon . It's supplied as small beads that when soaked in hot water turn soft, and can then be molded into any shape you want. When it cools off, it's about as hard as solid nylon . You can put it in hot water again and remold it to anything you want.

Once it's cooled off, you can drill it or paint it or treat it just like you would a piece of solid plastic. It's tough, and might even let you make toggles, etc. .

There are a number of YouTube videos about it , though many of them are about using it for artsy-craftsy purposes.

It's pretty cool.

• + New Posts