Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

Extra down needed in Enlightened Equipment Enigma?

My search for a TQ is closing in on the EE Enigma. I like the size options, price, and the lengthwise down chambers make sense to me from a 'down stabilization' standpoint.
    On the EE website no option is offered for adding extra down but a recent post mentioned that they would do it if asked. I am not concerned about extra down as a temperature issue, I can just get a different temp rating if needed, but I wonder if extra down would be beneficial/needed to limit down shifting. I have had quilts from other makers, some with extra down and some without, and those without seemed a little thin in places to me.
    So - I am wondering what you folks may think of adding extra down to a top quilt.
    I will probably discuss this with EE as well but wanted to see what the thoughts here were first.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    MY Enigma is the 1st quilt I've owned (I've had quilts from several makers) that doesn't need extra down to eliminate shift. The baffle design works better than any I've seen.

I can't say enough good about it.

I had EE make mine without the zipper but with the foot drawstring to allow venting. I never have opened a quilt up anyway, so the zipper is not needed.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    They do not offer overstuff anymore. I called 2 weeks ago and was told no. I was told their down does not shift so there is no reason for it which is bs. It may not be most important option. However, it would be nice to have the option! It made my decision to buy elsewhere very easy.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer0419 View Post
    They do not offer overstuff anymore. I called 2 weeks ago and was told no. I was told their down does not shift so there is no reason for it which is bs. It may not be most important option. However, it would be nice to have the option! It made my decision to buy elsewhere very easy.
    EE offers their quilts in 10 degree increment temperature rating. So if you wanted some over stuff, you'd likely be at the next lower temperature rating quilt. So I can see this as another reason as to why overstuffing is not needed along with the horseshoe baffle shape.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    They all offer 10* increments. When ratings change so does baffle size. So overstuff and moving to a different model are not exactly the same. Like I stated above. Is it critical...absolutely not. But when buying an expensive pie e of equipment its nice to have the option. Too much overstuff is not good. But that 1 or 2 oz can really help against shift and empty spots.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm pretty sure if you wanted a 10* with 20* baffles we would do that. We just don't do overstuff as our baffles require complicated down fill calculations. But I'm sure we'd be willing to use baffles from one temp and the fill from another if you really wanted

-Tim

• + New Posts