$25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers

Experienced Zero-G in my hammock...need advice

Been using some cheap Equip brand hammocks (Walmart) for couple of years. No issues, until now. One was my main camp hammock and a spare I keep on the porch for lounging. Was on the spare last week, enjoying the Fall breeze, surfing on my laptop, when it suddenly committed suicide out fromunderme. Zero G was achieved a split second before hitting the porch deck. Only thing that kept me from hitting really hard was the left hem held and used it and my left arm as a brake at the end. Autopsy revealed that my young girl puppy had been biting on the bottom of the Equip. (she chews everything) Rip started where she'd bitten it up.

Totally have no confidence in the Equips now. Dutch's gathered end rigs have caught my eye. The 11' GE and the new Half Wit with the net. This leads me to fabrics. I always hear the term "ripstop". Does that mean that if a hammock experiences a small puncture (or sixteen) that it can help avoid a total failure like I had in the Equip? I am fairly large. (6' and 230lbs) Which of the fabrics would be best to order? I like light weight stuff, but I'd splurge on carrying a little extra rip insurance to remain at 1 G.

p.s. BTW, I will inspect any hammock I plant myself in before planting, from now on.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    I believe rip stop does work the way you think but to a certain degree of course. Other folks on here can give you a much better explanation on that than i'm capable of. I personally would use Dutch's new http://www.dutchwaregear.com/new-nylond-1.6.html . Suppose to be very strong and comfortable, the half wit comes in the 1.6 hexon too.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Evaed View Post
    I believe rip stop does work the way you think but to a certain degree of course. Other folks on here can give you a much better explanation on that than i'm capable of. I personally would use Dutch's new http://www.dutchwaregear.com/new-nylond-1.6.html . Suppose to be very strong and comfortable, the half wit comes in the 1.6 hexon too.
    I keep hearing about the hexon your mentioned. Not real experienced with any fabrics, so mebbe some others will chime in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    Here's a good thread with folks curious about Hexon with Dutch helping explain about it. Hope this helps you out Fly. I'm sure others will chime in on this as well, this is a deep subject lol. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...3093-Hexon-1-6
    Last edited by Evaed; 10-24-2015 at 01:51.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The ripstop won't prevent failures like the one you experienced. Unloaded, the ripstop pattern will prevent the rip becoming larger, but loaded any fabric will fail. Of course some fabrics can be damaged more easily than others. I'd say that it's easier to rip a 1.0oz or 1.1oz fabric than a 1.6oz, and a 1.6oz fabric rips easier than a 1.9oz and so on. Best thing to do is not to let your dog anywhere near your hammock. But of course you could try making a hammock from Dyneema X or the likes But knowing how pointy young dogs' teeth are, I dare say even this fabric wouldn't hold up...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Dutch Hexon 1.6 hammocks are right goodies. Just used one on a 8 night trip and slept in comfort nightly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The ripstop won't prevent failures like the one you experienced. Unloaded, the ripstop pattern will prevent the rip becoming larger, but loaded any fabric will fail.
    Ripstop was developed for clothing, sleeping bags and other minimum stress applications. It works as described for briar pricks and such but under hammock loads it is virtually meaningless. I can tear ripstop by hand and have done so numerous times so don't count on it holding a full body load.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    Whatever I end up with...the spare porch one will be out of the domain and reach of "Fang the Perforator". Thanks for the feedback.

• + New Posts