WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Thanks gos. My winter palace has a 10' ridgeline, that makes it 4" shorter than turning it the other way. I guess I have to order the hammock now just to see if it'll work.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Some great cogitating on how to make this 90* work with a better tarp configuration. I pulled the trigger on the hammock and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have been thinking that I'd better give the hammock a lay before I purchase another tarp. I contacted John at bearpawwd and his ruminations for a 8' ridgeline with doors and a 10 foot width out of .74 cuben would be at $400. This is the same as the OEM tarp, but the shape would be more useful because it has a square shape (as viewed from the top), instead of tapering in on the sides. Basically would be very similar to a .74 cuben version of the Warbonnet GT at cuben prices.

My latest thoughts are to go with a HG winter palace with the 11 foot ridgeline. The best part of this choice is it would work for either my WBRR or the 90*. The downside is it would take a minimum of 11 feet hang distance between trees. But it would be light, less water absorbent, non-stretchy, bad weather doors, plenty of width. and again, useful for both WBRR and 90*.

I have plenty of Exped insulated pads (4) of various dimensions. I am thinking that I want to make my Arrowhead ridgecreek UQ work with the 90* also.

So, my question for gos, since he has both the 90* and a HG WP, what say ye???

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    PS: how do you tweak setting so that I know when someone responds to this thread? Thanks.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG 10' Camo Tarp d
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    evoloop
    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Thanks gos. My winter palace has a 10' ridgeline, that makes it 4" shorter than turning it the other way. I guess I have to order the hammock now just to see if it'll work.
    Hi dman and OlTrailDog,
    I think the palace will not fit, or very high.
    When I turn my HG 10' tarp 90 degrees the new ridge, what you need to create with a sewing machine by adding some triangles or D rings, will be 8' 6". With that I have an overlap of 10cm. If it's a 10' the tarp comes extremely hight. When I look on the HG site the palace is 10' 4" wide. Thats a difference of 56cm.
    The nice thing of the 90 hammock is that you can set it up between narrow trees.

Hope your not struggling with my english. Otherwise I hope somebody can clear this up.
    Last edited by gos; 12-16-2015 at 16:23.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Your explanation and english are great gos. Thanks for all your input. I'll probably order the hammock and then make my own cuben tarp to fit. Cuben tarps can be done with minimal sewing and I think that would be an easy tarp to make.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    gos, are you content with how the HG 10' tarp you mention works for you and is it the HG Standard with doors? I have also considered getting the HG Standard tarp with doors and turning it sideways so the ridge is 8' 6" ridgeline ( like I thought about doing the Winter Palace). Although I would get the 11' instead of the 10' because it would do double duty as a tarp for my Warbonnet ridgerunner and the 90*.

I also contacted HG and asked about a custom WP with a ridgeline of 8 feet or a custom Standard tarp with doors with a 8 foot ridgeline. The response I got was that I would have to wait until after the first of the year for custom tarps to be made. So that alternative will have to wait a while.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG 10' Camo Tarp d
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    evoloop
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    gos, are you content with how the HG 10' tarp you mention works for you and is it the HG Standard with doors? I have also considered getting the HG Standard tarp with doors and turning it sideways so the ridge is 8' 6" ridgeline ( like I thought about doing the Winter Palace). Although I would get the 11' instead of the 10' because it would do double duty as a tarp for my Warbonnet ridgerunner and the 90*.

I also contacted HG and asked about a custom WP with a ridgeline of 8 feet or a custom Standard tarp with doors with a 8 foot ridgeline. The response I got was that I would have to wait until after the first of the year for custom tarps to be made. So that alternative will have to wait a while.
    Yes, I'm very pleased with the HG (standard 10' in camo with doors) but I doesn't use it for the 90* because I also have the tarp-tent from Luke. I only let you see that it is possible to use another tarp on the 90* by turning and modifying.
    You can also look at the ZPacks tarp with doors. Thats .51oz instead of .67oz.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Talk to Marty at Wilderness Logics. He helped me a ton with a custom sized tarp a few years ago. I'm sure he could help you figure it all out and get it made in a reasonable timeframe.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Your explanation and english are great gos. Thanks for all your input. I'll probably order the hammock and then make my own cuben tarp to fit. Cuben tarps can be done with minimal sewing and I think that would be an easy tarp to make.
    I did some figuring what I thought it would cost to make a DIY cuben fiber hammock with doors and getting the CF from zpacks. I came up with an approximation of 11 linear yards for the 9 foot ridgeline and 10 width of 11 yards (including the doors) for about $300. For my abilities, and I consider myself pretty adept at craftsmenship (at least for carpentry and rebuilding engines) I would lay down the extra $100 for Luke's OEM tarp or the Bearpaw Wilderness Designs custom tarp.

I will take cataraftgals suggestion with WL and talk to HG about a short ridgeline WP again after the first of the year.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    WL has the Bullfrog tarp that's a 10X10 rectangle. Maybe Marty could alter it to work with the 90 degree/Amok style hammocks?
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-19-2015 at 23:48.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast