Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip
    Suspension
    whoopies w/ hooks

PCT - OR Section

Well better late than never as they say. Back in August I spent 11 days on the PCT, hiking from Crater Lake to Mackenzie Pass (Sisters, OR). This was the 1st long distance hike I had done. A buddy joined me for the first 3 days, but then had to bail out at Crescent Lake. All in all it went really well. Weather was good and my timing was such that i didn't encounter any wildfires. Luckily we had departed CL just before the wildfire there caused road & trail closures.
    My set up worked really well. I have a HH Ultralite Backpacker hammock. I converted it to whoppies w/ Dutch clips and that made set up super quick. I did a lot of prep to drop my base weight and was able to get it down to 18.5lbs, with food, H2O, & fuel I ended up between 30-35 lbs depending on how much food & water I had.
    Trees were never a problem, it is Oregon after all

Some of the things I learned;
    - most thru-hikers were only carrying 2 liters of H2O max. I had a 3 liter bladder & two 0.5 liter bottles. that extra 4+lbs was noticeable and for the most part water sources, even as dry as this year was, were available to support only carrying 2 liters.
    - Wearing 2 socks or socks & liners are a must. I ended up with blisters simply because I couldn't keep the interior of my boots dry during the day. Even drying them out during lunch breaks wasn't enough.
    - I used a sawyer squeeze filter and my buddy had a pump style filter. both had their pros & cons. We used the pump quite a bit at the start because most of the water sources were still lakes that were very low. Bit it did take 2 of us to use it efficiently. The sawyer was trickier to use in still lakes but still worked well. I saw a fair number of thru hikers that simply screwed the sawyer filter on the top of a 1 liter plastic water bottle. They would simply drop the bottle into teh lake and fill it up, then screw the filter back on and they were done.
    - I use a sleeping pad, the static V, and it worked very well. But there were still a couple of cold nights (low 40s & high 30s) and when any part of my body came off the pad it was only a matter of minutes before the cold woke me. I may need to consider an under quilt in the future.
    - trying to maintain 4K calories/day is tough. Carrying enough food to do this is one issue, simply from a weight stand point. But also I found I just wasn't hungry enough to eat that much food. I ended up with extra food, much of which ended up in the hiker boxes of various resupply points. The flip side is i ended up dropping on average 1lbs a day.
    - Cliff bars suck / Larabars are awesome
    - People were very cool. Both the hikers & the folks at the campgrounds (staff & campers).

It was a great experience and I plan to more of the PCT next year.

Here are some pics

20150811-11-P8110011.jpg

20150811_165052.jpg

20150813_175318.jpg

20150816_140442.jpg

20150817_143858.jpg

20150816-117-P8160118.jpg

20150820_124219.jpg

20150820_142621.jpg

20150820_163154.jpg

Images
    Trail Magic! got to love it. Thanks for the TR the picts are great.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Nice report! That looked enjoyable. I always get excited to get back out when you have a trip that makes you wiser for the next one. Part of all this fun is the continuous learning Of course the views like that help bring you back too!!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good set of lessons learned. When I hiked part of the PCT in August I had the same observation about water carrying. The thru-hikers I chatted with only carried enough water to get to the next source, and used a rule of thumb of 5 miles/liter. Great hike!
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip! How was it hiking across the lava fields?

Re: your boots, you may want to consider something else. If you are getting that much perspiration, maybe you need something with more ventilation . Anyway, something to consider.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip
    Suspension
    whoopies w/ hooks
    TallPaul,
    The Laval fields were pretty amazing. I got lucky it was a relatively cool day low 70s and a good breeze. Could have been a lot worse. The boots are a tough one. Yes, there are a lot of options. Most thru hikers use trail runners, but they are also carrying ~20lbs. I did look at lighter weight boots before the trip, but didn't want to give up the good ankle support I get from the LOWAs I have.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Archer View Post
    TallPaul,
    The Laval fields were pretty amazing. I got lucky it was a relatively cool day low 70s and a good breeze. Could have been a lot worse. The boots are a tough one. Yes, there are a lot of options. Most thru hikers use trail runners, but they are also carrying ~20lbs. I did look at lighter weight boots before the trip, but didn't want to give up the good ankle support I get from the LOWAs I have.
    I always loved the Sisters area & am jealous of your entire trip. We did a little exploring of the lava fields when we lived out there, just enough to pique my interest.

Shoes are a tough on.. when I started backpacking a couple years ago, I just went with trail runners cause it is what I had and my loads aren't heavy. After a couple years, they wore out & I went to REI for to try other types of shoes. I went thru a number of different types and ended up back in my trail runners, mainly because I wasn't getting the perspiration.
    Anyway, not trying to sell you on them... I loved my big leather boots back in the day & trampling thru puddles with them. Now I do the same, I just have wet feet for a bit

And this is completely off your topic but I used to like x-country skiing up on Mt. Hood. Then come summer, I'd go to some of those same places that were off trail but had great views. Oh man, about time for another Oregon vacation!

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great trip report. I would love to hike in that area some day. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Great hearing about your PCT trip, and gorgeous photos.

• + New Posts