I finally got around to making some whoppies last night. I had made a few soft shackles, but just hadn't gotten tot he whoppies.
I have to say working with Amsteel is a good time. I was using #5 and #10 crochet needles for the shackles and they were fine for the 7/64. I was just using the Scotch Tape method and that was fine for a short bury. When I got to the 10" bury on the whoppies the tape method just wasn't cutting it. As my daughter would say "the struggle was real". I tried the picture hanger wire method and that was a bust as well. So I went into he garage and found some stainless tig wire and thought about putting a loop in the end like a needle. After some grinding and some heating with a torch I formed a loop and then deburred on a polishing wheel. Added some heat shrink for a handle and it was time to give it a try.
I gotta say this thing slides through the amsteel like it's getting paid for it. A quick tuck through the loop and a pull. All in all it was a 2 beer job.20151028_004912.jpg20151028_004018.jpg20151028_003238.jpg