View Poll Results: What top quilt do you recommend for my WBBB to pair with a HG Incubator 0?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Warbonnet Mamba 20 degree regular size

2 11.76%
  • Hammock Gear Burrow 20 degree wide-standard size

10 58.82%
  • Other - please explain

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Top Quilt Help! Noobie here :)

Hi all, I need some help!

I'm a recent tent-convert to hanging, and decided on a WBBB. While I love my Warbonnet, I'm not quite sold on the top quilt. I purchased the Blackbird as well as a Mamba 20 degree regular sized top quilt. I'm roughly 5'9" and 185 lbs, and my feet are slightly compressing the bottom of the foot box when I lay in it. The top of the quilt comes right up to my chin. I can't really lower the top quilt, because then it won't cover my shoulders when I cinch it up. My feet get cold in the Mamba, and my wiggle room is alright but not really roomy.

I decided that I will order a Hammock Gear 0 degree under quilt because I tried a buddy's yeti quilt, and I don't like the partial thing because my legs/feet tent to get cold always and I don't want to use a pad in my hammock. So, me deciding to order from Hammock Gear made me question whether I should keep the Mamba and get a Burrow 20 degree top quilt instead? What is everyone's thoughts on the Mamba 20 vs the Burrow 20? I honestly like the extra dimensions of the Burrow so I can shift around a bit during the night if I want to and not have my body become suddenly exposed like it did in my Mamba a few times... My Mamba quality and stitching is truly awesome, with flawless seams and laser accuracy. They truly put it together better than anything I've bought in a big-box store! Can anyone speak to the quality of the Hammock Gear quilts; compared to Warbonnet; and make any comparisons/pros/cons between these two quilts? Thanks!!!

The Mamba dimensions are about 65 in. long, and 48 in. wide.
    The Burrow wide-standard dimensions are 75 in. long and 55 in. wide

I see underground quilts and enlighten equipment also are considered good quilts. Anyone have any experience with these to the Mamba or the Burrow?

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    I would definitely throw Loco Libre Gear into your consideration. My Ghost Pepper is a wide/regular(72") with no taper, I'm 5'10/225 and I can pull the quilt completely over my head without my feet compressing the end of the foot box. Length was a major concern and I originally wanted a "long" but George of Loco Libre Gear thought the "regular" would be fine for my height, he was correct and now I don't have to carry the extra weight/bulk of the "long". I love the 55" width as well, I can flip and flop and the sides never pull up creating a draft, I stay completely sealed.

Here's my thread on my Ghost Pepper if you haven't seen it,

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...The-Beast-quot

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really don't think the issue is with the quilt unless it is too large or short for you. First off, always put dry socks on when going to bed in cool weather. There are other reasons that the feet get cold. If you do not have the hammock set up properly your feet end up and out in the air. Make sure the foot end is higher when setting up. If it is not, then the weight of your body will move your torso while sleeping to the middle of the hammock and your feet will be sticking up in the air, out from the under quilt.
    See what it looks like when you wake up. The other thing is when the feet pop out from the under quilt. Make sure the feet are in the under quilt. Sometimes it shifts. No matter what top quilt you buy, the feet will compress the down under your heal. It doesn't matter whether it's a Warbonnet, JRB, UGQ or HG quilt, the results are the same. All of these manufacturers make quality products.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All of the vendors you mentioned make quality gear. So picking any one of them would be a good choice. So your deciding factor will come down to quilt size, colour and fabric choices, how soon you need it, and price etc.

Another thing to consider is ordering a top quilt and underquilt from the same vendor may yield some discounts and savings in shipping costs.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can't recall hearing any negative comments about the Mamba. If this is your first quilt, I suspect you're going to have the same problems with your second quilt, regardless of manufacturer.

Cold feet are an issue for some people regardless of manufacturer. I own an HG 40*, 20* and 0* topquilt, and had issues with cold feet in all of them. Then I figured out that I should stop wearing socks or down booties because they were trapping moisture next to my skin. No more cold feet!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Before you decide do yourself a favor and check out UGQ's website, i think they still have tq's on sale, my wife and i have Zepplins and the quality is second to none.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Keep the Mamba for 30-60* temps.
    Buy a 0* UQ and TQ for anything below freezing and no worries about cold till the bottom really drops out....then double up your quilts.
    I would look at the UGQ Renegade for a TQ and the Zeppelin UQ are awesome but any of the vendors offerings on here will work nicely....choice is yours
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Are you sure you got the dimensions right on the Mamba length? I would normally trust the makers statement of size fitting more than comparing the actual length dimensions as those can vary slightly in terms of actual fit - meaning a 3" shorter as listed quilt may fit about the same as another make. My Loco Libre Serrano is like that. But clearly a 65" quilt isn't going to fit a 69" person! I didn't see a spec for length on the website, but I can't imagine if WB says a reg fits to 5'10" that it would be tight on you. I would check with Brandon at WB, maybe go over some of the specs specifically for your quilt, and he would make it right, I'm sure, if you got a short one.

Otherwise, like you said, you've got a top-notch quilt. Understand about the width, but I found that I loathed the extra down and material around after a while (when I had a wide TQ, which I later sold). Something that tucks just a little under me is perfect - keeps the down on me for max warmth, like a close fitting mummy bag.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahunt01 View Post
    I see underground quilts and enlighten equipment also are considered good quilts. Anyone have any experience with these to the Mamba or the Burrow?
    My wide quilt was a Burrow. I'm 5'10" and the Burrow length was a slightly long for my preference, which I like snug on the shoulders. I've got an EE summer TQ - reg/slim - and a Loco Libre Serrano, Reg/Reg. Both fit me great.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast