Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Drip rings question re straps

For those of you who've replaced standard hammock rope with straps a nd tri-glides (like the JRB system for example), what do you do about water running down the strap towards the hammock end? I have a clark and the drop rings on the rope deal with this perfectly, but I wanted a quicker set up so have ordered some straps and tri-glides. Not sure how to deal with water running down though?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    NickJ:
    I had no problem with water running down the JRB tri-glide/webbing when I had it on my Clark. The poly-pro material of the strap is not moisture wicking, which should keep your hammock nice and dry. Never experienced any heavy downpours though, so you may want to try it out in the backyard with a garden hose to make sure.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If the tri-glide is not under the tarp ..... then a shoelace or any string tied to the line or webbing works well in a pinch.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    NickJ:
    I had no problem with water running down the JRB tri-glide/webbing when I had it on my Clark. The poly-pro material of the strap is not moisture wicking, which should keep your hammock nice and dry. Never experienced any heavy downpours though, so you may want to try it out in the backyard with a garden hose to make sure.
    I had no metal involved, but I had water run straight down stock Speer Polypro webbing into my hammock one winter rain storm, when I forgot to hang a drip line. Will a triglide, even under the tarp and on polypro webbing, stop that river? I sort of doubt it, but have never tested it, and it might. The JRB hammock, on which the triglides first appeared, depends on rings separating webbing from webbing and then webbing from hammock, to stop water flow. So the triglides were not designed for that purpose. But they might slow or stop water flow none the less. Some report that twisting the webbing will also work pretty good.

Safest bet, if you don't have an actual metal barrier/separation like rings/cinch buckles, is to use a drip line like Speer sells, or rig one up for yourself. That is cheap, light insurance. And safest of all is to test with a hose, or just leave it hung up in the back yard all night, unoccupied, during an all night rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Would it be possible to use some kind of vegetation for a dripline? For example, tying an overhand knot in the stem of a leaf or maybe several blades of grasses that can be found near camp. I hate having to pack a bunch of little extras that I hang all over my lines so I'd like to have some parts come from my surroundings, much like my stick-toggle for my whoopie sling.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks guys. When my straps arrived I'll post a pic of the set up. a drip line might work, though I'm working on a tarp design that may solve it without drip lines anyway.

• + New Posts