GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend

Diamond Configuration and Cold

At what temperature, or wind chill, is it generally advisable to forgo the ease of hanging a tarp in diamond configuration and instead going with an A-frame, perhaps even with doors?

I have a Noah 9 and a 12; the 12 can do A-frame (and doors), but is skimpy on the end coverage in that mode. I'm looking at a trip in which the group campsite will likely be in a valley near a creek, mid-November. Normal lows for the nearby town might be around 39F, but that does not necessarily apply to the natural area - valley and creek.

Thanks

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I used a Noah's 12 for years and always in A-frame and porch mode. The ends can be closed off but I like more room. I used a Grizzbeak on one end to seal out the wind and rain and that worked pretty well. It can be closed all the way and not gaped open like in the picture.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

As long as you set up the tarp in a way that you stop the wind, it doesn't matter which configuration you set up your tarp.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    duckyy, are you implying that if there's little to no wind (and no rain), there's no warmth benefit from changing diamond config to A-frame, staking to near ground and shutting end doors? I ask b/c I know that in a tent (2P), I generally found it to be nearly 10 degrees warmer F inside the tent than outside. I thought there might be some benefit to "boat mode" for the Noah's Tarp 12, but it seems you're saying there is not. Just want to understand you right.

[as an aside, I would like to hang in diamond mode whenever practicable, just because the Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 is far more reinforced on the corners than in the middle of the side you'd use for A-frame hanging]

2ply, you had quite a nice little house there ... for someone who likes more room, I'm almost surprised you didn't move on to the Noah's 16! (which is probably only 14 across in A-frame mode ... since the 12 is 10]

• + New Posts