Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full length UQ vs Partial UQ Questions

So I'm at a bit of an impasse.. About to purchase my first UQ, and am unsure whether I should get a full or partial length.

I'm considering the JRB Mt. Washington 3 and the JRB Greylock 3. It will primarily be used in 30*-60*f temperatures, but will occasionally be used in 5-20*f. I'm also 6'3, which could also play a factor in my decision.

So here are my concerns..
    -Taking into account my height, will the Greylock be adequate for me in 5-20*f weather/harsher conditions? The foam sit pad I have is 16 inches long. 75in (my height) - 44in (UQ length) = 31in - 16in = 15in of exposure. I guess the length of my head shouldn't be included in this calculation, but still not sure if this is cutting it too close for comfort.

-Similarly, is the weight/space saving worth the extra effort of having to use a sit pad/foam with the partial UQ? The Mt. Washington is ~.5lb heavier (still lighter than my current sleep mat I take), but I'm not really a gram weenie or anything. Is the sit pad a pain to use if you switch positions a decent amount?

-Last one, I promise.. Will the Mt. Washington be too hot in the 50-60* range? I know you can loosen UQ's to create space/air circulation. Will I be able to create enough space to not overheat in 50-60* weather? Would I still have this problem with the Greylock?

Thanks in advance! This forum is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge..

I'm 5'6" and the Greylock is perfect for me probably to 20 degrees. Lower and I'd want the full length of a Mt. Washington.

I have the 52" Greylock 3. They are now longer. I have used it down to 30F and was comfortable. I'm 5'8. At 30F, I only used the Thermarest Lite Seat pad in my topquilt as Shug demonstrates in his underquilt videos. I have never used a full length quilt so I don't have any comparisons. I would think it would be easier/more forgiving in colder weather.

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I'm new. I only have five hangs under my belt and only one of those in the woods. But the other four hangs were when the temps dropped as low as 32 so I could test my gear. I made my own PLUQ and it doesn't go all the way under my feet. My feet froze the first night. I bought some HEAT and 100% wool socks which keep the tootsies warm the next night. I ended up getting a 50x60 down quilt from Goodwill and I fold it in half and clip it under the hammock under my feet. This has helped to keep them toasty warm. I personally would not go with a 3/4 UQ. It could just be my diabetes but having cold feet isn't comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    1) The Greylock 3 is a 3 season quilt, which generally means a 20*f temp rating. I wouldn't trust it alone much lower. YMMV, don't test the extremes of your gear without a backup/bug-out plan!

2) In short: yes. Less weight, and bulk is generally a good thing. On top of that, they synergize well with duel use for your pad (sit pad, frame-less pack support), which is can be additional weight savings. I also feel 3/4 quilts are less finicky, because they don't have to deal with gaps from the shape your legs make. They can also be narrower than FL quilts because they follow your body better. I recommend them for temps down to at least 20*F.

Stick the foot pad in the foot box of your top quilt and it will stay in place all night. If you don't like the feel of the ccf on bare feel, a lightweight pair of sleeping socks will keep you comfy all night.

3) You'll probably be getting to the upper limit of either quilt without venting in the 60's, but other than that you should be more than fine. Top insulation adjustments can adjust for varying temps, just like in bed at home.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBBB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Inferno 2 & mummy
    Suspension
    Straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by waredbear View Post
    I personally would not go with a 3/4 UQ. It could just be my diabetes but having cold feet isn't comfortable.
    Speaking as a fellow diabetic -- that's a very good point. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlot View Post
    Speaking as a fellow diabetic -- that's a very good point. Thanks.
    You need to have something under your feet. Be it quilt material or a pad. If you think a 3/4 quilt will keep parts of you warm it isn't covering then you're kidding yourself. The quilt works in conjunction with another piece of gear, although in warmer temps (maybe 60*F+), you can often get away with out that extra piece of kit.

It sounds like waredbear's problem wasn't a problem with using a 3/4 quilt, it was a problem with not knowing how his equipment worked.

Im 6'3", and have Greylock 3 and 4's, as well as full length UQ's/TQ's, (The Hudson river, Shenandoah and Old rag Mnt)

I'm content with the Greylocks, and use a foam foot pad. I used reflectix last year, but bought a gossimer gear sit pad for this winter.

If your a figity sleeper, and dont mind losing the extra pack space, the Mnt Washingtons would be great. My wife did not like the Greylocks, and she is only 5'6". Shes a side sleeper, and tends to turn alot. The full lengths really help with being more hassle free. I will probably wind up with a Mnt Wash 4 for her next season.

I use the Greylock 3 if temps are 25+, Anything lower, I'd pack the 4. Its a barrel of down!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    I use the Greylock 3 if temps are 25+, Anything lower, I'd pack the 4. Its a barrel of down!
    I always use a full-length, but this is good reasoning that I've seen several other members mention as well.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've had my 3/4 20* quilt down to around 15* now with no problems.... Pad under my feet and I am pretty short but I went from having cold feet sometimes to not at all lately by just adding an UQ protector. I'm kind of finicky about taking care of my gear so the protector was in the cards the whole time and only added 5oz to my kit.
    I was also concerned about the full length UQ being wide enough for me because I do lay the most diagonal I can get... I don't have a full length to compare to but on my 3/4 my shoulder is right at the left corner of my quilt and my knees are at the right corner and my legs continue on past that. I feel like I would have to adjust my lay to make a full length quilt work...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast