Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    To add to all this, I've noticed that when I go backpacking with SULers they usually spend all the downtime (around the fire, stopped for breaks, etc.) showing me their new gear and explaining to me how it works, where they got it, how much it costs, etc. while I'm trying to enjoy the scenery or relax.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    When I started reading journals over on TJ a few years ago, and got excited about getting back into hiking, I commented on one journal of an experienced hiker that I enjoyed reading. We started emailing, and he offered to join me on my first hike of the approach trail. I was out of shape, and had 25 yo equipment, but had enthusiasm. He had hiked the AT several times. If asked, he would tell me about what gear he used and why. He NEVER told me what I needed to do, in fact mentioning that several pieces of my gear that I was enthusiastically looking at replacements for would work just fine. We had a nice hike, even though we didn't make it up to Springer because I was just too out of shape and carrying too much weight. He seemed to enjoy the hike, and was much less worried about the 'goal' and our 'failure' to get there than I was. He was too busy just enjoying being out in the woods on a nice winter day. I learned a lot that weekend, some of it about gear. A lot more about having a good attitude about it all.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    While I don't want to carry any more weight than I have to (esp now that I'm getting older ), I find I get kinda attached to the gear that seems really realiable. When I have something I come to really know and trust, I find that becomes more important than the weight.

Ultimately, we all have to carry what works for each of us. We and our circumstances (finances, temp tolerance, terrain, preferences, etc.) are each so unique!

Sure, we all like to share about something we found that worked for us, or something that works the same but is lighter, but sheesh!.... in the end, we each have to carry our own loads. If mine is heavier than yours, so what??

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice story, Shadowmoss...
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    That is a great story ShadowMoss. There was another thread about canoe packs, and as I do way more paddling than backpacking, it was easy for me to get caught up in recommending x pack or y pack because of this or that. The goal is simply to be out there. In the woods, on the water, just out there, however, whenever. . .

`Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- --

Wind in the Willows
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Blackbird &amp; Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    While I don't want to carry any more weight than I have to (esp now that I'm getting older ), I find I get kinda attached to the gear that seems really realiable. When I have something I come to really know and trust, I find that becomes more important than the weight.

Ultimately, we all have to carry what works for each of us. We and our circumstances (finances, temp tolerance, terrain, preferences, etc.) are each so unique! .....
    Reflection of my feelings. Enjoy the moment, journey & experiences gained. Focusing too much on the mass or "geekness" of your gear is IMHO an unfocused perspective. PYOP and have FUN!!!
    Noel V.

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    `Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- --

Wind in the Willows
    Man that brings back some memories!

I may have to put that in my sig
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Making my own gear has saved me considerable money when it comes to going light weight. I am not saying it is for everyone but it has worked for me. Some have called me a gram weenie but it is all relative really.

I think many people that go through an evolution when it comes to concern over pack weight. I have known many ULers that start with their old heavy pack, obsess over getting their gear lists to match extreme Ultra light weight lists that others post on a forum somewhere, achieve that goal or get pretty close, then creep back up in weight some.

There are so many thing to consider when it comes to ones perspective on pack weight. How much hiking vs camping are you going to do. How many miles per day. Fitness level. Weather. And so on....

I would say that the thing I have taken away from my experience so far (still pretty limited) is just to be aware of what is in your pack. Being careful not to pack those insecurites at the last min is almost always a big consideration. Everyone is guilty of throwing those last few things in at the last min.

The philosophy that everything in your pack must get used daily or have at least 2 uses is a big one for me too.

I try not to lecture people on their pack size weight but I admit to being guilty of it on occasion. It mostly happens when I see that someone is miserable under the load and when I see them pulling out items that even I know they are not going to use/need. Many times I will just offer cheap diy alternatives or talk to them about certain pack items and their importance.

My pack is constantly changing too. What fun would it be to have arrived at the perfect pack configuration!! The horror!

Hike your own Hike! Maybe keep an open mind so you do miss something that might actually work for you though.

Long winded,
    Stormcrow
    his advice saved me 12 lbs the second time out, i welcome sc advice, he a good ginger i say!!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456