WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Alternative to ridgeline quilt hooks

I recently bought and have been using the tato gear ridgeline quilt hooks (Thanks to Dutch for vending these).
    I think they work great and they really make a difference on the way the quilt keeps snug and helps prevent the dreaded shoulder roll off.
    However....
    They are plastic, and sadly while dealing with my gear I accidentally stepped on one and broke it.
    So it got me to thinking if there was a way to achieve the same results using some zing it and the quilt rope was born!

The idea is to have a rope with loops on both ends that can be attached to the quilt suspension and hang over the ridgeline and provide the same effect that the hooks do.

I chose to make the overall rope adjustable so that it could be used for a 3/4 or full length quilt and to give that ease of adjustment.

I used zing-it for the cordage.

At one end of the UCR I put in a standard lock spliced eyelet. At the other end of the UCR is used the Hybrid Soft Halyard set up from L-36
    http://l-36.com/HybridHalyard.php

A prelim test in the back yard gave some promising results as it seemed to hold the quilt suspension up just as well as the hooks.

I attached the eyelet end to the suspension via a larks head making sure to attach over the top of the ridgeline. At the other end I used the soft shackle portion of the halyard.

Hope you guys like it, and let me know what you think.
    ridgeline quilt rope.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Wow! That looks great! I wanted to build some triangle thingies from rope this weekend as replacement for the ridgeline quilt hooks, but I think I may try to include this system. Any idea whether or how it could work over a bug net? Except from not going under the ridgeline it shouldn't be a problem...

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Similar to what I did.

Now that I've attached a bugnet, I'm sort of back to the drawing board. I can still attach the shock cord together over the bugnet, but I worry about this causing damage over time.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    My setup is similar to Shadinsb's except, instead of Prussik knot, I use a Klemheist. The pull is in one direction only (inward), so the Klemheist works for me.

Good thinking and thanks for the pictures!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I designed it to rest over the ridgeline, so the rope set up would work testing on top of the bug net as well. I did think about wear and tear on the bug net, but figured that it would be no worse than the wear I would get from using the plastic quilt hooks.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I have tried it a couple of nights now and it works great! I don't see a lot of pressure on the bug net and I think it would take a couple of years to wear through... (with only hanging a couple of weeks a year that is)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvothe View Post
    I have tried it a couple of nights now and it works great! I don't see a lot of pressure on the bug net and I think it would take a couple of years to wear through... (with only hanging a couple of weeks a year that is)
    I have now used mine for 4 nights and it worked great as well.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I also found the ridgeline quilt hooks to be a good idea in principle, but not so great in practice. Mine tended to slide along my ridgeline, and the quilt suspension cords didn't always stay attached to it.

So I created a similar solution to yours. I think mine is better

I prusik two small continuous loops to my ridgeline, one at the head end and one at the foot end. I attach a micro-biner to each prusik, and then run the underquilt suspension through the micro-biner. Simple.

I run both primary suspension cords through the biner at each end, but I run only the "head-side" secondary suspension at the head end and the "feet-side" secondary suspension at the foot end. This keeps my quilt up high on the head side and foot side - a little diagonal, like my lay. I keep my secondary suspension cords completely untightened as running them up to the ridgeline makes them tight enough.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I also found the ridgeline quilt hooks to be a good idea in principle, but not so great in practice. Mine tended to slide along my ridgeline, and the quilt suspension cords didn't always stay attached to it.

So I created a similar solution to yours. I think mine is better

I prusik two small continuous loops to my ridgeline, one at the head end and one at the foot end. I attach a micro-biner to each prusik, and then run the underquilt suspension through the micro-biner. Simple.

I run both primary suspension cords through the biner at each end, but I run only the "head-side" secondary suspension at the head end and the "feet-side" secondary suspension at the foot end. This keeps my quilt up high on the head side and foot side - a little diagonal, like my lay. I keep my secondary suspension cords completely untightened as running them up to the ridgeline makes them tight enough.
    Do you have a pic of this Baka? This sounds like a very simple solution!

• + New Posts