Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I've always shopped for the best bang for my buck. So a lot of times I will buy from big brands because they can have a good sale. That being said, while shopping and looking for the best bang for my buck I ended up with a blackbird, a superfly, a JARBIDGE, a 0 incubator, and hundreds of DIY stuff from Dutch. So they definitely have the edge because it's not about cheap, but value.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Woodsman x, various Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    depends on mood
    I agree it's all about value. I started off with mass produced gear from a well known supplier over here in the UK. Since ditching the lot and getting hammocks from Warbonnet and Dutch (and still wanting an Envy S ), quilts from UGQ, Tarp from UK Hammocks, I have paid a heap in import duties but would do it again no problem. The camping experience is just so much better with this gear. Thank god that thin synthetic uq has gone
    Last edited by stan794; 12-01-2015 at 14:44.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    there's several closed down to limping cut&sew factories around me.

those cats could be up and running in a minute, and they can turn out some quality stuff.

but to whom would the sell it?

eventually someone is going to push some quilts to a box store. someone will bargain the labor etc with just the kind of factory i'm describing. a run of gear will be made; much pre-sold, until the supplies are spent. that'll be the end of it. that will be the big box entry, and exit.

they'll hire shug for the TV ads

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    Gen 1 Speed Hooks
    The idea of keeping the hammock world small bewilders me. UGQ, AH, DH and the others don't just need educated diserning customers seeking top quality gear... they need new educated, diserning customers. There comes a point where a vendor can't make a living off of the same old customers. A growing market means more people continuing to place orders. I still tell people I camp in a hammock and people look at me funny. There is plenty of room for retail exposure to grow the niche cottage community.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by x PREACHER x View Post
    The idea of keeping the hammock world small bewilders me. UGQ, AH, DH and the others don't just need educated diserning customers seeking top quality gear... they need new educated, diserning customers. There comes a point where a vendor can't make a living off of the same old customers. A growing market means more people continuing to place orders. I still tell people I camp in a hammock and people look at me funny. There is plenty of room for retail exposure to grow the niche cottage community.
    i agree with the principle you assert, but the reality is that it won't happen in that way.

this world is not too far different that the guitar/amp world. there are many parallels. bringing in the masses will bring about an easier, yet lesser quality products. indeed; it happens in such a way that it makes getting quality gear all the more difficult, and it drives up prices. this is because production forces are focused on volume movers. skilled workers are moved into those areas, etc.

cottage vendors become big vendors and quality declines. decades later [should it last so long] the cottages return and the prices a very high indeed.

all things considered the present model isn't far from the best it can ever be.

edit: i reread your post. i over-responded to what you stated; i.e., i overstated your comments by implication. my apologies for that

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456