SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltair View Post
    Thanks for your review. I was actually looking at the Snugpak Underblanket as a cheaper under insulation option. The Eno Ember 2 was also on my list, but the Snugpak was cheaper, so i wanted to see what people thought of it. With this, I'm definitely going to look into it more.
    Thanks! I don't think you could go wrong with the SnugPak. I'm very pleased with it! Attaching it well is probably the most important thing--snug, but just loose enough to prevent any compression of the blanket when you're in the hammock. On my first hang I had some gapping on each end that I plan to avoid next time.

I just looked up the Ember 2 out of curiosity. It lists the temperature rating as just 50 degrees--that surprised me. Based on that, I'm confident the SnugPak provides way better insulation...and for $45 instead of $100! I really do think you'll be happier with the SnugPak!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-07-2015 at 19:38.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    It looks like there is no shock cord to cinch the ends - is that the case?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    Thanks for posting it's good to see some lower end stuff.
    I agree with you! It's exciting to find some really great lower end stuff! It's disheartening when it seems like all the really good stuff costs a chunk all at once--especially if you're on a limited budget and are married to someone that doesn't "get" camping! (He's a great guy, otherwise!!!)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks View Post
    It looks like there is no shock cord to cinch the ends - is that the case?
    Yes, that is the case.

A long length of shock cord runs through a channel down each side and has a place at the center of each channel to cinch the foot half and head half each tighter...but, the two shorter shock cords on either side of center at each end are just attached to one fixed point...not running through a cinch-able channel. Which is unfortunate, as it makes it harder to eliminate gaps at either end. But, the small gaps I had (see earlier photos) did not present any problem at 43 degrees. Still, I wish the ends themselves would cinch up.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    Thanks Dublinlin.

I've been directing friends and family with limited budget towards the DD quilts (I also have a set myself - actually prefer the DD top quilt to my 3S KAQ). The Snukpak stuff interests me in this regard, so I just wanted to clarify differences. Now if Snugpak/DD would just make a rectangular version...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Thanks Dublinlin.

I've been directing friends and family with limited budget towards the DD quilts (I also have a set myself - actually prefer the DD top quilt to my 3S KAQ). The Snukpak stuff interests me in this regard, so I just wanted to clarify differences. Now if Snugpak/DD would just make a rectangular version...
    Does the DD under blanket have a cinching channel at each end? How much does the DD underblanket cost? I would be interested in a side by side comparison.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    The DD does have a cinching channel on each end, the same side-cinching channel as the Snugpak, and two grosgrain loops on each side for ridgeline suspension (and shock cord and microbiners to do so). £49.00 (currently $73.74) and includes two-day shipping and a T-shirt. The Snugpak stuff, as a set, may definitely be shown some interest by some cousins that are getting into hammocking but have to give what little money they have to their respective colleges.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    The DD does have a cinching channel on each end, the same side-cinching channel as the Snugpak, and two grosgrain loops on each side for ridgeline suspension (and shock cord and microbiners to do so). £49.00 (currently $73.74) and includes two-day shipping and a T-shirt. The Snugpak stuff, as a set, may definitely be shown some interest by some cousins that are getting into hammocking but have to give what little money they have to their respective colleges.
    The SnugPak is significantly less expensive, then... I live in Missouri and bought mine for $44.95 plus shipping (from Vermont). I was looking on-line a few minutes ago and found a video with a review of the DD underblanket and the commentator mentioned that the SnugPak is four inches longer and nine and a half inches wider and 3/4 pound heavier. The heavier is not a plus(!), but it might be that there is more lofting material in the SnugPak? I do like that it is longer and wider. I don't like that it doesn't have a cinching channel on each short end...but, it didn't seem to matter when I tested it out the other night. Oh, and the SnugPak doesn't come with any carabiners and has less grosgain attachment points (only one sort of near the middle and two on each end).

Snugpak can cover more of my hammock and costs about half as much...so, I'm fine with no end cinching channel or carabiners or fewer attachment points (which, doubt I'd use the extra attachment points even if I had them).

Hammock
    11' Dutch Xenon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ 4S T/B
    Suspension
    MultiBuckle
    I do like that the Snugpak is longer/wider. My one major complaint with the DD, is that with its shape and 2m length, at 6ft tall, I do have to be very particular with my lay if I want both head and feet to be covered (with a pillow, no real problem). The extra length/width of the Snugpak could help quite a bit (or make a rectangle DD/Snugpak!). Once I started using ridgeline suspension, it's the only way I'll go, now - I use it on the DD, the New River, and the New River Long.

Thanks for helping to hash out some of the differences!
    Last edited by bananachunks; 11-08-2015 at 00:32.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I do know like that the Snugpak is longer/wider. My one major complaint with the DD, is that with its shape and 2m length, at 6ft tall, I do have to be very particular with my lay if I want both head and feet to be covered (with a pillow, no real problem). The extra length/width of the Snugpak could help quite a bit (or make a rectangle DD/Snugpak!). Once I started using ridgeline suspension, it's the only way I'll go, now - I use it on the DD, the New River, and the New River Long.

Thanks for helping to hash out some of the differences!

Glad I was able to contribute some!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast