Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Looking back at your post I see you said you got a 90" wide hammock. I don't have any expirience with that.

For a normal 60" wide hammock, that this was designed for, 45" is plenty wide. You may have to adjust based on how your hammock lays. 90" is very wide and not typical.

That said, the uq moves with you somewhat. It doesnt need to be as wide as the hammock to cover you. But at the same time because they are suspended from the center line they can limit an extreame diagonal lay.
    Thanks Boston! That helps explain it a bit more. I may not stick with 90" but I would rather start too big than too small. I feel like I want to be able to have extreme diagonals available, so that is where I am thinking.

Can anyone expand more on this moves with you thing?

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ, CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How big do you guys typically make your pleats on the sewn version? I have two PLers I'm experimenting with.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thmsbeckham View Post
    How big do you guys typically make your pleats on the sewn version? I have two PLers I'm experimenting with.
    The pleats are an attempt to gather the ends to eliminate bunching. However, I no longer do this. If you use some grosgrain or ribbon to edge the ends, you can gather the ends easily. Pleats are optional.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge

HH bottom entry?

There are too many pages to read through every one, but can you use this UQ with a bottom entry HH?

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    This is what I did today. I have previously made a folded no sew pluq but I really am not a cold weather person and wanted something warmer. So I have a few pl and made a full length PLUQ. I ran grosgrain down both long sides with a loop on each end. Then ran shock cord through the short end. Then I can tie another pl on the inside and/or put a sleeping pad inside. I left the shock cords long in case I wanted to use it as a blanket. It is pretty toasty inside. I have a Scouting event with my Son in April so I will be able to test it then.

20140316_151039.jpg
    20140316_151217.jpg

Hammock
    Thunderbird 60 from Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    23 oz (652 g), which includes shock cord and six (6) cord locks.

I tested it last night on a S24O, but the temperatures were too cold (28°F/-2°C). I used a small torso-sized CCF pad under me too, but after about an hour, I was feeling cold spots. I took my down bag and wrapped it around my hammock instead and used the poncho liner inside as extra top insulation. I was toasty after that change.

I'll have to wait until the weather warms up to test this poncho UQ by itself. I am hopeful it will be good for 50-60°F weather.
    You should try adding an Klymit Insulated Static V Inflatable Sleeping Pad, that may work. i know I've used it to add additional warmth on a trip i went on that was -3F. Keep in mind I also have a 0F UQ.

Hammock
    MH Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    MH -Jungle Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/TR Zlite
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Cinch
    Thanks Dejoha for your DIY PLUQ illustrations! Also thanks to everyone else who's provided guidance, and info on modifying these things over the yrs. I've seen these PLUQ instructions here, and there around the internet, and got my supplies. But still wanted to read this thread, before I go ahead and take a shot at building one myself (FYI my eyes are now burning after 21 pages of comments!). Definitely feel like I got a good idea, what to do, and how to trouble shoot now.
    Thanks again..

Hammock
    MH Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    MH -Jungle Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/TR Zlite
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Cinch
    1st attempt@ no sew PLUQ:

Quickly found that I forgot/needed to tie in the poncho ends into the rigid cords. Quick fix, seems nice.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Looks pretty good JTD! Thanks for posting up some photos of it "in action".

u.w.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JtD View Post
    Thanks Dejoha for your DIY PLUQ illustrations! Also thanks to everyone else who's provided guidance, and info on modifying these things over the yrs. I've seen these PLUQ instructions here, and there around the internet, and got my supplies. But still wanted to read this thread, before I go ahead and take a shot at building one myself (FYI my eyes are now burning after 21 pages of comments!). Definitely feel like I got a good idea, what to do, and how to trouble shoot now.
    Thanks again..
    The cool thing about these is that you can modify the original design just to experiment.. The first one I made, I used the 7/8" grosgrain ribbon and found it a PITA to get shock cord to feed through, so the next one was made with 1 1/2" ribbon.. This gave me all kinds of room to get bigger cord through for the ends, and they bunch up nicely, sealing off the ends.

One other mod I did was I sewed in a layer of microfiber bedsheet between the layers. It's light, wind resistant, and a nice insulator. And if wet, it dries fast, too. I just sewed it in between the layers and what's cool is that the scrap I had left over made great stuff sacks!!

Anyway, my first attempt took 4 hours.. I hadn't sewn in almost 3 decades and it showed.. It worked great, and I gave it to my nephew who loves it, and my sister even gave me a compliment on my sewing.. The second one took only two hours, and is what I'm currently using. With just a lightweight sleeping bag on top of me I was very comfortable sleeping in 50 degree temps.. I'll be using it again this upcoming weekend and look forward to taking a few more detailed photos of it and how it mounts, as well as a couple occupied pics..

No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast