WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    I have a quick question.... how much do you all typically cinch up the ends to avoid drafts? The first time I tried mine I cinched it up as much as I could which was most likely not necessary. Does anyone have pictures of what the cinched ends should look like before weight is put in the hammock?
    I did the exact same thing the first time I tried it and it didn't work. Now I cinch it up roughly half way, give or take, and it's perfect.

Also, take the PL strings on the 4 corners and tie a taut line hitch to your shock cord suspension. That will allow you to get the PLUQ to stretch all the way out underneath you and not bunch up in the center. THIS step helped me the most.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    I just got a poncho liner off Ebay for this project. I've never come in contact with a poncho liner before now, and I notice that the material is rather thin. Is this normal? Or will the folded over pluq provide enough insulation?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamph View Post
    I just got a poncho liner off Ebay for this project. I've never come in contact with a poncho liner before now, and I notice that the material is rather thin. Is this normal? Or will the folded over pluq provide enough insulation?
    That's a PL for you... doubled they're ok... for me, good down to the mid-40's, or very useful to extend my other UQ...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    That's a PL for you... doubled they're ok... for me, good down to the mid-40's, or very useful to extend my other UQ...
    Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't receive a worn out product. Can't wait to get to work on it.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I've got a double layer, and without aNY additional insulation its WAY too hot for me to use indoors, even when its cool just sitting in here, and without any top cover.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tested mine out the other day in warmer temps. It was about 60 degrees in the shade with a brisk breeze. First I tried the bare hammock but the lightest breeze, even at 60 degrees, would give me the chills. The PLUQ fixed that totally. Whenever a good gust of wind would come through I could feel it a little, even with the PLUQ, but it was totally comfortable.

I've used the PLUQ in as low as 10 degrees with a sun shield reflector mat stuck in between the folded layers, and a Thermarest trail scout inflatable air mattress (only inflated 1/4 or 1/2 way) in the hammock with me. I had a 15 degree bag and and a couple layers of clothing on and was warm enough. Not cozy, but comfortable enough to be able to sleep.

They're a pretty versatile addition. I'd feel comfortable recommending these into the mid-upper 40s all by itself, assuming the wind is mild. And probably upper 30s if you pair it with some other insulator like a ccf pad or sun shield .

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Has anyone tried to make a long PLUQ by taking 2 PLs, cutting one in half or a third and attaching it to a full PL to make it a full size?? I ask because I'm 6'5" and I rock a WBBB XLC and I'm trying to insulate from the footbox to my shoulders. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Hey Derek

I am not certain how it will work with a WBBB XLC, but I am attempting a two layer version of this full length PL mod over on BushCraft.

My idea is to snap two full size layers together and creating a space between the two layers to create a dead zone.

I have yet to put the snaps in, but I clipped it all together with binder clips and was quite comfortable for an hour on a breezy and damp 39 degree day in the shade. I was only wearing cargo pants and a light sweater with no TQ so I would have been quite warm if I had dressed and covered up.

As a test, I removed one layer and used it as a TQ with only one layer beneath me and I could feel a huge difference. I could feel almost every breeze from below and while not cold, I was a bit chilled.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Scott,

That looks pretty awesome!! What is the weight when you have 2 PLs snapped together??

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast