Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
    Could elaborate on your reasoning for having the fixed lines running along the long sides? Why not just attach the shockcord to the tied off ribbons at the corners?
    At that time, I had a chance to use a down-filled under quilt that had channels instead of end tie-outs. I really liked that design because I could adjust the fit of the under quilt while laying in my hammock. I didn't need a second person to help adjust tie-outs, or have to get in and out to make adjustments.

There is nothing wrong with end tie-outs, in fact, many under quilts are switching back to this method, especially larger, heavier quilts.

This seems like the ticket for me. I have a USGI MSS for my TQ and I'm going to need a little bottom insulation for deep winter and don't want to spend a lot of money and I can do this for under 20 bucks. With the MSS going to -30 this PLUQ should keep just enough heat in to keep me comfortable. I will find out in winter. I don't believe I will need it till then.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I've made one of these and it is - as far as I can tell - exactly like dejoha's but I am having a problem with getting it snugged up enough. The ends fit against the hammock okay but there is too much space (several inches) between the UQ and the bottom of the hammock.

Some possibly pertinent information: My hammock is a Switchback and its hung fairly tightly - maybe 20 degrees. Perhaps this tightness will prevent it from dropping into the UQ as much as it would if it was hung more loosely with a larger angle. Also, the Switchback has no ridgeline and so there is not a way to use triangle thingies or similar to pull it up from above.

The only way I can figure to get the UQ closer is to tighten it from the ends but a lot of tightening results in only a little upward movement. I have tightened it to the point where the suspension shockcord slips out of the cord lock. Tightening in this way also seems to pull the sides of the UQ together with the result that the upper edges of the UQ are lower down on the hammock - in other words the depth of the UQ is reduced but this is achieved by the top getting lower rather than the (desired) bottom getting higher). Is it normal to have the suspension very tight?

I can't help but thinking I am missing something obvious or perhaps there is a steep learning curve for UQ's. I have never used one before and I have never seen any other one in the flesh.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I have just recently made a Pluq and I had a similar experience at first. I had the ends cinched too tight and the sides couldn't pull up high enough because of it. Not sure if you have the same situation or not but it sounds like what I had going on. My other suggestions would require a ridge line so try loosening the end a bit first. Do you have someone available to lay in the hammock while you do the adjusting? I found this to be a HUGE time saver.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    My goodness that was a dammfast reply! Thanks for your input - I will try making the ends a little slacker. I can get my wife to lay in it while I try things but it is difficult to get our schedules to match so most of the time I put the cushions from the sofa in there. They really just give bulk though and are not really heavy enough.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    So I have been using my PLUQ for hanging indoors. Last night I thought it was going to be warm enough to give it a try outdoors. Not an epic failure but 50 degree and my 30 degree sleeping bag were not enough. I have a peice of closed cell foam that you might find a new TV wrapped in, between the two layers. I have used the PLUQ many times indoors down to 55 but no wind. Those that use it regularly what is you configuration? And how low can you go? Looking to use it as my bottom insulation this summer but now having second thoughts. Those that are going down to 40s what are you wearing and what is your top quilt.

I have been looking for a simple under quilt solution for my hammock, with your drawings, by the way which are excellent and easy to follow, it should be a piece of cake.
    Will try and pick a poncho liner up on eBay
    Thanks for posting this great article
    Shiver

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    So I have been using my PLUQ for hanging indoors. Last night I thought it was going to be warm enough to give it a try outdoors. Not an epic failure but 50 degree and my 30 degree sleeping bag were not enough. I have a peice of closed cell foam that you might find a new TV wrapped in, between the two layers. I have used the PLUQ many times indoors down to 55 but no wind. Those that use it regularly what is you configuration? And how low can you go? Looking to use it as my bottom insulation this summer but now having second thoughts. Those that are going down to 40s what are you wearing and what is your top quilt.
    I've successfully used the no-sew down into the low forties with a cotton t-shirt, cotton boxers, cotton cargo shorts, a poly/cotton baseball cap, and a poncho liner used as a top quilt.

With the sewn-up version, I've gone down to 25 comfortably without supplemental bottom insulation. I sewed a layer of Insul-Fleece into the PLUQ. I wore a Thinsulate watch cap, two sets of socks, nylon sweatpants, a midweight fleece longsleeve, and compression shorts. For my top insulation, I had my poncho liner top quilt, a 40" x 60" $3 WallyWorld fleece throw (100 wt), and a midweight hoodie used as a torso booster/draft collar. I also used an hot water bottle.

Once it got below 25, I added a torso-sized piece of blue CCF under my upper body. I was warm and comfy.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    eno dblnest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/usmss
    Suspension
    tree staps/whoopie
    tyvm easy to follow directions. i used shock cord all the way around and seems to be holding in place nicely, even tried laying in different positions (eno dblnest). i like the idea that if needed you could add extra insulation in between.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    still searching
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks. This will help a lot. I'm making one with a poncho liner in the next couple of weeks.
    You must first be happy with yourself before anyone else can contribute to that happiness.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast