Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gailainne View Post

I believe that the machines/patent has been sold to the Chinese, like a lot of other things, but there are equivalents out there.
    According to a BPL article in 2006, Mitsui of Japan bought them out when they went bankrupt. That is the same company that manufactures eVent.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Gailainne, would you recommend a small strip of DWR on an otherwise all-Pertex quilt to help it deflate easier? A few of us have made quilts with sidewalls lately. I'm thinking maybe if everything but the sidewall (same height as the loft) was Pertex, you'd get much of the benefit as well as better packability.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Gailainne, would you recommend a small strip of DWR on an otherwise all-Pertex quilt to help it deflate easier? A few of us have made quilts with sidewalls lately. I'm thinking maybe if everything but the sidewall (same height as the loft) was Pertex, you'd get much of the benefit as well as better packability.
    I'd be curious about which type of Pertex was used. There are about half a dozen types with varying weight/breathability/water resistance. Go Lite and Feathered Friends uses the Endurance and Quantum combined.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I may have slighty exagerated how difficult it is to pack, it does feel like it has a mind of its own sometimes though.

The Rab bag I have is Pertex Quantum Endurance according to the blurb, the Alpkit bag has a fabric called Toray, this is what they replaced Pertex with, which is the one thats quite air tight.

I bought 2 types of pertex, Pertex 4 which was the lightest they had in stock, and for the sock and cover I bought some pertex liner, dont have any details on it, apart from it was cheap, and it has the same properties as pertex.

Cheers

Stephen

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    the problem with pertex (and in fact any breathable material) is that in fine, wet mist, it just cant breathe. it relies on small particles of water being able to either escape or be "wicked" from one side to the other. if you cover the outside in a fine mist, it just stops working.

if you have a goretex jacket for example, you ll notice that the inside gets damp when youre working hard in very fine rain (and heavy rain too). same principle going on.

i would suggest using silnylon for a sock, but making sure that you had adjustable vent holes at each end to ensure a throughput of air to stop any condensation. plus, its light and packs down to almost nothing.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    the problem with pertex (and in fact any breathable material) is that in fine, wet mist, it just cant breathe. it relies on small particles of water being able to either escape or be "wicked" from one side to the other. if you cover the outside in a fine mist, it just stops working.

if you have a goretex jacket for example, you ll notice that the inside gets damp when youre working hard in very fine rain (and heavy rain too). same principle going on.

i would suggest using silnylon for a sock, but making sure that you had adjustable vent holes at each end to ensure a throughput of air to stop any condensation. plus, its light and packs down to almost nothing.
    That is true to an extent with breathable fabrics. However, the wicking/breathing part is also driven by the temperature difference on the inside versus the outside. When the temperature on the inside is warmer, it drives the moisture to the cooler side. This is evident when you sleep with wet socks under your goretex at night. In the morning, the socks will be dry. It is your body heat that drives the vapor through the membrane. Silnylon on the other hand has no such potential to move vapor from a higher temperature gradient to a lower one. The moisture on the inside of the goretex is perspiration not rain. Your perspiration output has exceeded the ability of the membrane to let the moisture vapor escape. Pertex is far less water resistant than goretex, but the volume of moisture it will allow to escape exceeds goretex. That's why pertex is used for a windshirt versus a rain shell.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123