Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

return of the tarp beak

My first version of the tarp beak emulated a known working solution---a poncho drapped over the end of the tarp.

As was evident from the pictures, that beak used a lot of fabric over the tarp that wasn't needed for rain cover or wind break. Clearly what was wanted was a version that overlapped some with the edge of the tarp, but only minimally. Would be nice to have a design that was easily adaptable to different hex tarps as well.

This brings us to Beak version 2, a.k.a. Son of Beak (SoB).

In addition to a much sharper cut than Beak v1 on the side, SoB skips the velcro tabs on the doors in favor of the overlapping doors seen on a number of other rigs on HF. It gets the power to seal up gaps between beak and tarp along the edge by the use of an additional pair of stakes, to secure the beak corners independently of the tarp. In fact, the key to the seal is to bring those stakes a little inside the tarp, to create pull up against the tarp edge. It does not need or use the shock-cord that pulled the back-end of Beak v1 to the other end of the tarp.

SoB is a lot wider at the base than Beak v1. I decided to try using the whole width of a roll of silnylon---64". My main reason was to cut down on the time required to build this thing, but had the added benefit that this width made it possible to pull the corners as far back as they do, and still have a bit of a vestibule. If the edge of your sil roll is square, you can cut SoB with two cuts : one that is 52" down from the edge, and goes all the way across the roll, and a diagonal cut, as shown below.

It is then a matter of hemming all the edges. In the beak shown in the photos I then also doubled the hem back on all threes sides of a piece other than the diagonal, to create channels through which cord can go. I'm going to be toying with this to see if there is some 2nd use for it, and cord channels just seemed to offer some opportunities for that. We'll see.

As with Beak v1, the two pieces are joined at the narrow edge. Here is where a minor bit of mathomagic is a bit helpful. We ideally want the edges to come together and lay flat on the top of the tarp. But we have already chosen an angle for the beak edge that lies along the edge of the tarp when we cut it----that is, we choose that angle if we insist now on adjoining the narrow edges straight along their cuts. Natch. Suffice to say that by measuring the tarp you can determine what angle the edge of the hex cut has relative to the ridgeline, and then can adjoin the two pieces at the narrow edge so that the edge of the diagonal is the desired angle with respect to the line formed where we adjorn the two pieces. They'll lay flat. I frankly don't know how much of an issue this part is, but since I could see my way clear to doing so as to make the angles work out, naturally I did.

OK so that last paragraph sounds like the math gobblygook I occasionally spout. For the practical among us, it means for the MacCat Deluxe the top pieces ought to be joined along a line that forms a 10 degree angle, as shown below.

I sewed in velco to make the join, having some hope of finding a use for one of those pieces, or the pair of them joined somehow.

Tabs at the four bottom corners, one tab at the top to afix the beak to the tarp, see below. (You can also see how the join between the two pieces is angled)

4.75 oz. Probably get it closer to 4 if no velcro was involved, lighter still if small bits of cord were used for pull-outs rather than grosgrain.

I've given the go-ahead to 2Q and ZQ to market a beak based on my designs. Given that ZQ is a pro, and the design is simple, I'd expect they could crank these out quickly and hence at a reasonable price. That's for them to say, of course.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 11-08-2009 at 08:09.

Great work and project name here Grizz.Will be following this closely.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great project Grizz. The SoB name cracked me up. Nice work!

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Grizz, is that a HH Hex? I was able to get my pentagonal ground pitch setup hashed out this past weekend. I like your beak setup and gives me some ideas on how I can close mine up.

How tight is the overlap on the roof? Would strong winds be able to make their way in through the overlap?
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
    Hey Grizz, is that a HH Hex? I was able to get my pentagonal ground pitch setup hashed out this past weekend. I like your beak setup and gives me some ideas on how I can close mine up.

How tight is the overlap on the roof? Would strong winds be able to make their way in through the overlap?
    That's a MacCat Deluxe. I have a HH hex somewhere, I think, although I might have loaned that out.

Strong wind from behind might get up between the beak and tarp. In an earlier set of experiments with this I was fastening the beak and tarp together with a couple of grip-clips and that would defeat it.

Using grip clips and a ridge line under the tarp one could also pitch the beak inside the tarp and button up the edge. Not something to be done in the field as the wind is rising though, but still one could add/remove a beak at home before hitting the trail.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Warm up the machine !
    I think this is a great thing.
    I think i settle for this, instead of the doors project.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've given the go-ahead to 2Q and ZQ to market a beak based on my designs. Given that ZQ is a pro, and the design is simple, I'd expect they could crank these out quickly and hence at a reasonable price. That's for them to say, of course.
    Grizz
    But this is tempting as well

We see soon what option wins in the end, thanks for the idea
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Doors and Beaks

ZQ and I will be constructing a prototype for Grizz to bless with the goal of having them available early next year.

We will also be working on patterns for offering sewn-on doors with overlapping flaps for OES MacCat Deluxe's and Ultra's. Lot's to do but we're excited about the projects. Stay tuned.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    in defense of the GrizBeak and wind.....a lot of wind will be blocked by the tree on either end of course depending on the size of the tree. You can and should always when hammocking (said for the newbie) use the lay of the land to your advantage. I'm always stealthing/getting off the trail to find my hangspot and wind is only second to security/decreased visibility from passersby.
    I like doors...and no body has commented on my plee for help with my Speer Winter Tarp. I got a taught set up until I staked down the doors then I lost the taught pitch...any clues please and I tried various set ups. BUT when I set up the tarp and then added the beak there was no deflection in the tarp at all.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As always, excellent idea, Grizz. Can't wait to see what you and 2Q come up with as this evolves.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Doors and Beaks

ZQ and I will be constructing a prototype for Grizz to bless with the goal of having them available early next year.

We will also be working on patterns for offering sewn-on doors with overlapping flaps for OES MacCat Deluxe's and Ultra's. Lot's to do but we're excited about the projects. Stay tuned.
    I think that I may save myself a bunch of time and heartache, and wait for your designs to hit the streets! Thanks to Grizz and 2Q for working together on this project!

This place is awesome, I have learned so much and my heart has been made happy (Thanks Shug!) by all of the great advice and tips that I have found here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast