Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    If anyone want the policy to change then an hammock advocate needs to get on the board.
    All I got to say. Shug
    It is a lot more fun to critique the board's stupidity than it is to sit through their boring board meetings.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    28,000 people in 3 months is the issue.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    28,000 people in 3 months is the issue.
    That is truly the Philmont issue.

My dad was a ranger out there when part of his job was to show scouts how to sharpen their axe so they could chop wood for the cooking fire.

I don't think that any part of that is ever gonna happen again.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunndog View Post
    Arent bear bags mouse proof then?
    I'm thinking those kevlar things here
    Unfortunately not the one I used in the BWCA this past September. The outfitter gave us what was basically an insulated Duluth pack that apparently had a special sign on it that only mice could read "MICE WELCOME HERE...GOOD EATS." The bag was so infested the third night that my dad and I went the remainder of the trip on one Pemmican bar each. Felt like Frodo and Sam with their Elven bread.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    a hammock just means they dont have to bend over as far
    in a tent means they just bend over to the ground like they are used to

ANYONE who thinks a hammock or a tent is different is silly ! and I would say watch a bear get into a car and how quick they can rip a door off a car and think some nylon on the ground or hanging is going to make ONE bit of difference

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    We've had numerous occasions up here in Northeast PA where bears have hurt people in tents. It seems there was usually food involved. One was a scout who had taken a candy bar in the tent for a midnight snack and got sliced up for it. I've had one encounter where a bear walked past my hammock and around nearby tents, but didn't bother any of us. Eating area was well away from where we slept.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    tents are nothing more than bear fortune cookies
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I can't figure out how to edit a post after it's been a few days, so i'm just replying.

Any way, I got a reply, and it was just directing me towards their "Guidebook To Aventure" where it says (I underlined the most important part) this regarding tents:

Due to the terrain, wildlife, and sudden change in weather conditions, tents are a required shelter for a Philmont trek and therefore all crew members are required to sleep in a tent. Bivy sacks are not acceptable. Every member of your crew should be able to set up, take down, and fold the tent. Philmont uses two-person, free standing backpacking tents (foot print - 5’6” x 7’6”, approximate weight =5lbs. 13 oz.) called a “Thunder Ridge”. These tents have been designed in cooperation with Cascade Design and MSR. The tent requires 6-8 stakes and is available for your use at no charge. Philmont introduced a program in 2015 to wash each tent after each trek. Crews are asked to help with this process as they return the equipment they have checked out. If you choose to provide your own tent it must be a two person tent and free of all food smells. If you think your tent may have been compromised by food smells, please use a Philmont tent. Philmont will allow a single person tent in the event of an odd numbered crew, gender numbers and for youth protection compliance. Space for tents in most campsites is limited. Use of two-person tents minimizes the footprint and avoids encroaching on the “Bearmuda” Triangle (page 31). Two one-person tents take up nearly twice as much space as one 2-person tent. A 6’ x 8’ waterproof ground cloth must be used under each tent. These are not provided with the Philmont tents.
    "I have taken all knowledge to be my province"
    Sir Francis Bacon

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

seriously? I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Zorban View Post
    ...I was looking up if hammocks were allowed at the Philmont scout reservation in New Mexico, and I saw that one of the reasons (#2) why you can't bring a hammock is because the bears may mistake it for a bear bag. I've never heard of that happening before and was wondering if any of you have ever had confrontation with a bear while in a hammock.

Here is the list of reasons: http://www.planphilmont.com/gear/per...gear/hammocks/
    OMG, that has to be a hoax. So clearly false its beyond the realm of stupid.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorban View Post
    I can't figure out how to edit a post after it's been a few days, so i'm just replying.

Any way, I got a reply, and it was just directing me towards their "Guidebook To Aventure" where it says (I underlined the most important part) this regarding tents:

Due to the terrain, wildlife, and sudden change in weather conditions, tents are a required shelter for a Philmont trek and therefore all crew members are required to sleep in a tent. Bivy sacks are not acceptable. Every member of your crew should be able to set up, take down, and fold the tent. Philmont uses two-person, free standing backpacking tents (foot print - 5’6” x 7’6”, approximate weight =5lbs. 13 oz.) called a “Thunder Ridge”. These tents have been designed in cooperation with Cascade Design and MSR. The tent requires 6-8 stakes and is available for your use at no charge. Philmont introduced a program in 2015 to wash each tent after each trek. Crews are asked to help with this process as they return the equipment they have checked out. If you choose to provide your own tent it must be a two person tent and free of all food smells. If you think your tent may have been compromised by food smells, please use a Philmont tent. Philmont will allow a single person tent in the event of an odd numbered crew, gender numbers and for youth protection compliance. Space for tents in most campsites is limited. Use of two-person tents minimizes the footprint and avoids encroaching on the “Bearmuda” Triangle (page 31). Two one-person tents take up nearly twice as much space as one 2-person tent. A 6’ x 8’ waterproof ground cloth must be used under each tent. These are not provided with the Philmont tents.
    It's been a while since I was a scout, but IIRC it was pretty standard procedure for scouts to "buddy up" when camping. Sounds like Philmont basically requires this, although they don't specifically say so.

If it's only for erosion protection it sounds like it would be very easy to draft a set of hammock requirements that would leave even less trace than a 2-man tent. Something like: must have a fully enclose tarp (winter tarp) to address weather concerns (although I don't really agree with that, I think it would be easier to gain agreement from Philmont). Must use 2" wide tree straps for both tarp and hammock (or maybe 1" or 1/2" wide for tarp, 2" wide for hammock based on the forces involved). Hammock must be pitched with suspension roughly 30* off horizontal (prevent guitar string tight hangs, which I see often, and educate on proper hanging technique).

Based on the response they gave you, if you really want to make and effort and advocate for it, I think you could have a chance if you go about ti the right way. Will probably require meetings in person.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast