Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

How much temp regulation with a hot tent stove?

I just ordered a Smokehouse hammock shelter and am trying to decide on a stove. I really like the long burn times that are available with some of the larger stoves, but I'm wondering if the larger/longer burns also mean that it'll be 65*F+ (too warm) in the shelter much of the time.

I know that there a many variables that will affect temperature output and burn time, but in general can maximum burn times be achieved without maximum heat output with these stoves? If so, to what extent? For example, with a stove that is capable of 4+ hour burns, could I keep the temps below 50*F on a 25*F night without constantly fiddling with the stove intake and damper or tent ventilation - in general?
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 11-15-2015 at 11:24.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When you damp down the air flow in a wood stove to get maximum burn time you are creating creosote in your stove pipe. This happens because your fire is at too low a temperature to be burning efficiently. I will say that most who use wood stoves to heat their shelters let the stove burn out over night and sleep cold. The other issue is that the volume of these small hot tent wood stoves doesn't allow for a very lengthy burn time. Even using good dry hardwood.

As to your question, it would be challenging to regulate the internal temperature for that little temperature rise over the ambient. If you have a small wood stove burning efficiently one can easily get a 40F-50F temperature difference from inside to outside of the shelter. If you ever watch any winter camping hot tent videos you'll often see the people stripped down to base layers while inside their hot tent.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    When you damp down the air flow in a wood stove to get maximum burn time you are creating creosote in your stove pipe.
    I didn't realize that is what caused creosote buildup. Thanks.

I will say that most who use wood stoves to heat their shelters let the stove burn out over night and sleep cold.
    This is what I'd plan to do if it's unreasonable to think that I could keep the temperature in the 30*-40*F while sleeping.

If you have a small wood stove burning efficiently one can easily get a 40F-50F temperature difference from inside to outside of the shelter. If you ever watch any winter camping hot tent videos you'll often see the people stripped down to base layers while inside their hot tent.
    Not sure what you mean by small stove, but I'd really like to get by with the Kni-Co Trekker stove which is has a firebox of 9.5 x 8.5 x 17. As long as I can get a good pot of water to boil in a reasonable amount of time, do a little bit of frying, change clothes and get layers on in the morning without hypothermic shivering, and do some socializing in temps close to 50*F, I'd be thrilled. Any warmer than that seems like it would make winter camping more difficult in terms of acclimating in and out of the tent and preventing sweat.

The Trekker stove is recommended for up to an 80 sq ft wall tent - which is only slightly smaller (?) than the Smokehouse, but I'm not sure what the basis of the recommendation is. I know of at least one tough nut who uses it and says it's all he needs, but the majority seem to go for the larger ones for the longer burn times (and hotter burns?). The Trekker would sure be easier to haul around.
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 11-16-2015 at 17:45.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Unless its seriously cold it'll mostly be T'shirt weather in a hot tent even with the flaps open

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Not sure what you mean by small stove, but I'd really like to get by with the Kni-Co Trekker stove which is has a firebox of 9.5 x 8.5 x 17. As long as I can get a good pot of water to boil in a reasonable amount of time, do a little bit of frying, change clothes and get layers on in the morning without hypothermic shivering, and do some socializing in temps close to 50*F, I'd be thrilled. Any warmer than that seems like it would make winter camping more difficult in terms of acclimating in and out of the tent and preventing sweat.

The Trekker stove is recommended for up to an 80 sq ft wall tent - which is only slightly smaller (?) than the Smokehouse, but I'm not sure what the basis of the recommendation is. I know of at least one tough nut who uses it and says it's all he needs, but the majority seem to go for the larger ones for the longer burn times (and hotter burns?). The Trekker would sure be easier to haul around.
    As far as hot tent stoves go they range in sizes that can be man hauled on a toboggan, to those that require a motorized transport due to size and weight. I have what is considered a small stove and it is 10x10x18" in size and I can easily get the 40 - 50F temperature difference between the outside air and the inside of my tent. As for recommendations on stove for size for a shelter that is generally based on how cold the outside temperature will be. The size of the shelter comes into play as a smaller stove is going to have a much harder time heating up a larger enclosed space due to the smaller sized firebox (ie you can only get so much wood in the stove box at one time). So if you are looking for the smallest amount of heat gain for your 80 square foot shelter, then pick the smallest stove you feel will do the job. Also keep in mind that it is easier to keep a small fire inside a slightly larger stove. So if at some point in the future you plan on winter camping with temps below 0F then you will need a bigger stove to heat the shelter to a comfortable level.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts