Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain

Second hammock to hold underinsolation?

Was doing a little thinking after watching one of Hennessy's videos about under quilting. They have, what looks like, a cheap hammock that they hang under the main hammock and fill it with insolation. Has anyone thought or tried using one of those inexpensive hammocks and hung it below their main hammock and placed a sleeping bag or something like the Costco quilt for insolation? Seems doable to me and price is right.

Images
    Yes it's been thought and tried many times before. It doesn't work. After you learn how to stay warm with an uq in cold temps, you'll know exactly why it would never work. And yes insulated hammocks have been tried too but in the long run it didn't work either. The tried and true suspended quilt or ground pad is still the way to go for a reason. Hanging is trickier than laying on the ground, learn the basics, it'll all come to you in increments.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    You'll still have to suspend the bag somehow or attach it to either hammock, otherwise it will just all bunch up in the bottom.

I've done something similar - insulation sewed in though.

I used a combo of cheap quilt batting from Joann's and later added a couple pieces of some leftover Climashield.
    I sewed the insulation to the inside of the 'underhammock' asymmetrically under a piece of 1.1 ripstop.
    It worked fairly well.
    Later on I removed the gathered ends that made it a hammock, and created channels with shock cord and suspended it from the corners in a more 'underquilt' fashion.
    This meant that wind could more easily get in, and so now I've added a draft-tube to each end.
    It's a true Franken-quilt. Everything is different colors including the thread, it's got a couple kinds of insulation added at different times, and it's been torn apart and reassembled.

I might go back to a hammock/underquilt hybrid though on my next one. I like the idea of keeping the wind out of the ends completely and without doubt.
    My idea is to sew the insulation onto the outside of the underhammock. Then the underhammock can be pulled up very tight to seal the edges and the insulation will remain uncompressed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Yes it's been thought and tried many times before. It doesn't work. After you learn how to stay warm with an uq in cold temps, you'll know exactly why it would never work. And yes insulated hammocks have been tried too but in the long run it didn't work either. The tried and true suspended quilt or ground pad is still the way to go for a reason. Hanging is trickier than laying on the ground, learn the basics, it'll all come to you in increments.
    Well thanks for the input. This came to me after watching Hennessy do the very same thing, in a way. He put a thin skinned underlayment and inserted an insolation pad and a cheap emergency blanket. Was thinking that an inexpensive hammock would do instead of that underlayment Hennessy used. But... at the time I questioned wheather his would actually work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadinsb View Post
    You'll still have to suspend the bag somehow or attach it to either hammock, otherwise it will just all bunch up in the bottom.

I've done something similar - insulation sewed in though.

I used a combo of cheap quilt batting from Joann's and later added a couple pieces of some leftover Climashield.
    I sewed the insulation to the inside of the 'underhammock' asymmetrically under a piece of 1.1 ripstop.
    It worked fairly well.
    Later on I removed the gathered ends that made it a hammock, and created channels with shock cord and suspended it from the corners in a more 'underquilt' fashion.
    This meant that wind could more easily get in, and so now I've added a draft-tube to each end.
    It's a true Franken-quilt. Everything is different colors including the thread, it's got a couple kinds of insulation added at different times, and it's been torn apart and reassembled.

I might go back to a hammock/underquilt hybrid though on my next one. I like the idea of keeping the wind out of the ends completely and without doubt.
    My idea is to sew the insulation onto the outside of the underhammock. Then the underhammock can be pulled up very tight to seal the edges and the insulation will remain uncompressed.
    This is what I was thinking. I see that you have your hammock with another suspended under it. Like I was thinking. Add the insolation inside the lower hammock and keep it far enough away so as not to crush the insolation loosing the R value while keeping the edges close enough to keep out the cold air. Got any more photos of your set up?

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    This is what it looks like today.

You can see the new end baffles - which help a lot - and how the insulation lays asymmetrically in it.
    It's nearly as wide as my hammock, so in practice it actually comes up above the edges of the hammock and blocks out side-wind very well.

I still think this method is possible, and that draft-tubes out-mass the bit of fabric that used to block out the wind all the way to the gather when this thing was still a hammock. The draft tubes are a bit finicky anyway, and don't always fill the gaps perfectly. These are 'test-tubes' though (ha), and may not be attached in the best place/manner. They have indeed helped a lot, nearly removing all the gaps. It heavily depends on how you're laying in the hammock though - where you are and aren't putting pressure changes the gap size/shape.

As long as it's executed and suspended properly, I still say this idea has merit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Well that looks like it could work. At least in the more milder areas. I am in SoCal and do not plan on any real cold winter trips. For the price of one of those inexpensive hammocks it is certainly worth a try. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    an insulated hammock I get, as well as an UQ. I don't see the advantage to a second hammock and added insulation because it seems like more work and weight than it would be worth. Not to mention, I wouldn't trust it to be snug and very efficient anyway
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    an insulated hammock I get, as well as an UQ. I don't see the advantage to a second hammock and added insulation because it seems like more work and weight than it would be worth. Not to mention, I wouldn't trust it to be snug and very efficient anyway
    What I was looking at was no underquilt and just this on the outside. I based it on what Hennessy is doing. They use a very thin piece of nylon installed just like an underquilt and fill it with the appropriate insolation and say it works. But at over a hundred dollars it was thinking that an inexpensive hammock would do exactly the same once the appropriate fill was inserted. But I could be wrong. (Oh I expect to have to do some modifications to the hammock attached underneath.) That is why the discussion. By the way... weight is not a big issue for me as I am not able to do any long hikes any more. Just short treks.
    Last edited by bobamos; 11-15-2015 at 22:18.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bobamos View Post
    What I was looking at was no underquilt and just this on the outside. I based it on what Hennessy is doing. They use a very thin piece of nylon installed just like an underquilt and fill it with the appropriate insolation and say it works. But at over a hundred dollars it was thinking that an inexpensive hammock would do exactly the same once the appropriate fill was inserted. But I could be wrong. (Oh I expect to have to do some modifications to the hammock attached underneath.) That is why the discussion.
    I understand the concept, and that this would be the system in place of an UQ, I just don't think it will be a better, lighter, or less expensive system in the end. The only thing I can think is if you were using your clothes as insulation. Then, at least you are multi using what you have. Otherwise, I'm not sure the reason for this system. It just doesn't seem like a better mouse trap. An insulated hammock I get because it means no fiddling, no suspension, and your insulation is right on you with no gaps. This seems like all the components and weight of an UQ with less results and more work. I am not trying to be a Debbie downer, I just don't completely understand the reasoning for going this route.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast