Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Why I got rid of my Cuban Fiber Tarp

Im sure this topic has already been addressed in this forum. I was one who got caught up in the Cuban Tarp craze and it hurt my budget to buy one.
    It was a well made tarp by a cottage industry vendor we all may know. I was very impressed how light weight it was and I enjoyed showing it off to my hiking cronies.
    But like many on this forum, I just had to try something new in the hammock world. Strapped for money, I searched for ways to generate a few more bucks for that "gotta have" item.
    Then my wife spoke..
    "Why dont you lose about 15 lbs of belly and sell that 5 ounce cuban tarp, buy a 14 ounce silynylon tarp and use the left over money to get something else you want."

Arggg... she was right. So I sold my cuban. Bought a silnylon. And Ive already lost 2 pounds. Feeling better and healthier. And Ive just bought the best top quilt Ive ever owned. Guys, listen to your bride.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Congrats on losing the weight and gaining a new tarp. I learned long ago that my wife is probably right (don't tell her that though). Try as I might, I can't seem to get too caught in the Cuben craze. I'll admit that it's great stuff, but it's too cost prohibitive for the weight loss. I can get lightweight just fine without it.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hex's
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco TQ/UQ + sock
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I am one of those fighting for every single "easy" ounce and gram. Easy meaning relative affordability. I just can't hump 40-50 pound packs any longer. It's beyond miserable.

That said, I was hades-bent on a CF. BUT........... I need to upgrade/add so much stuff for an AT hike that I just couldn't justify it.

And I made the right choice with a Superfly, especially after I spent a ton last night just to get it set up.

I lost fifty pounds over 2 years. Exercise and eating better. Make wise food choices (no dieting), play in the woods more, and the weight will go away.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    You won't regret it. I'm down over 28 pounds, so with a fully loaded backpack I'm still down a few pounds. I and just made a new winter tarp from Dutch's Xenon fabric. Stay tuned for the details, but I am amazed at how small it packs. The best part is that I feel better every day, not just when I'm carrying a backpack.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, not what I want to hear!

The best way to lighten my load is to lose some weight. Of course you're right, but I'm American, and this is America, isn't there something I can just buy that will make it all better?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I never got into cuben. I just don't like it. Even if the pricing was the same as other materials I would pass.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Then my wife spoke..
    "Why dont you lose about 15 lbs of belly and sell that 5 ounce cuban tarp, buy a 14 ounce silynylon tarp and use the left over money to get something else you want."

Arggg... she was right. So I sold my cuban. Bought a silnylon. And Ive already lost 2 pounds. Feeling better and healthier. And Ive just bought the best top quilt Ive ever owned. Guys, listen to your bride.
    As Crawldaddy has found out in the quest for going light weight to ultra light weight backpacking that the cost per ounce saved really starts to sky rocket when you are already in the light weight category (base weight of 15 or so pounds)

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Cuben fiber is awesome as a tarp. It's the best tarp material I've ever used, and I'm in awe of the weight. However, I understand why people gag at the price.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Cuben fiber is awesome as a tarp. It's the best tarp material I've ever used, and I'm in awe of the weight. However, I understand why people gag at the price.
    I completely agree with this. And losing body weight isn't an option for me. I'm in a constant effort not to lose body weight.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I completely agree with this. And losing body weight isn't an option for me. I'm in a constant effort not to lose body weight.
    Yeah, losing weight isn't really an option for me either. A couple of years ago I got down to 145 lbs., and realized it would force me to buy an entire new wardrobe. I'm since back up to 165 lbs., which is more in keeping with someone who is 5'11" tall.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-17-2015 at 15:52.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast