Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I'm just getting started so I don't have a UQ or TQ. I did make a PLUQ with a sunscreen between the layers. My first couple hangs I used a fleece bag and fought to get in the thing and get it up around my shoulders properly. The second night I tied the bag at both ends to the hammock to keep it in place. The third night the temp dropped so I used a mummy bag that I bought at a thrift store and had the tag cut off so I don't know its rating. I stayed warm enough but I struggled with the bag for five minutes just to get into it and arranged around my shoulders properly. The next night I used my Kelty Ridgeway 0* mummy bag and this time I stood in it and laid down which helped getting situated faster. My BIG problem with mummies are the limited shoulder room. I can barely get my arms out once I zip it all the way up. I too like the hood for added warmth. I don't think I would like it upside down with the hood slid around my neck like Shug shows it. I haven't tried it so I don't know. I also think that having the bag underneath is some insulation even though it is compressed. Something is better than nothing. I'm new so my 2c is not worth much.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I've been using a 20 degree HG Burrow in my hammock and in a tent for 5-6 years. Works great for me. When it's hot I open up the cinch at the foot, for just throw my feet out to cool off. Below 30 in the tent was borderline for me with the 20 degree TQ, so I would use my 15 degree mummy bag. I hate the zipper and I hate being confined. The TQ has spoiled me for not struggling with a zipper. So I have a WL Zero TQ on its way to me. I should be good to go with TQs now.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-08-2015 at 08:59.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

TQ vs. a mummy bag partially zipped?

Quote Originally Posted by waredbear View Post
    I'm just getting started so I don't have a UQ or TQ. I did make a PLUQ with a sunscreen between the layers. My first couple hangs I used a fleece bag and fought to get in the thing and get it up around my shoulders properly. The second night I tied the bag at both ends to the hammock to keep it in place. The third night the temp dropped so I used a mummy bag that I bought at a thrift store and had the tag cut off so I don't know its rating. I stayed warm enough but I struggled with the bag for five minutes just to get into it and arranged around my shoulders properly. The next night I used my Kelty Ridgeway 0* mummy bag and this time I stood in it and laid down which helped getting situated faster. My BIG problem with mummies are the limited shoulder room. I can barely get my arms out once I zip it all the way up. I too like the hood for added warmth. I don't think I would like it upside down with the hood slid around my neck like Shug shows it. I haven't tried it so I don't know. I also think that having the bag underneath is some insulation even though it is compressed. Something is better than nothing. I'm new so my 2c is not worth much.
    Once you use your bag like a TQ, you will never zip it up in a hammock again. I actually find the hood wrapped around more comfortable and controllable in this fashion, than I do in its intended use to be zipped and cinched. Try it in the backyard and you'll see. No fighting, not confined, quick easy in and out, no cold air pockets when it's tucked around just enough to close the gaps. Also, it's more comfortable not to have it stuck and bunched underneath you
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    How do you control the zipper using the mummy as aTQ?
    Don't you need it zipped alittle to form a deep foot pocket?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by waredbear View Post
    How do you control the zipper using the mummy as aTQ?
    Don't you need it zipped alittle to form a deep foot pocket?
    I just have mine zipped a few feet at most and usually less. I don't understand what you mean when you say control the zipper.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images

TQ vs. a mummy bag partially zipped?

Mine always unzips when I get in. Do you use a pin to hold it in one spot or unzip it all the way?

Just use a safety pin to pin the zipper where you want it

Images
    Back when I used a mummy bag as a top quilt I would start the night with the zipper partly zipped but it would always unzip by itself. I was afraid to use a safety pin for fear my thrashing around would cause the pin to damage the zipper. I discovered that I was perfectly fine with the bag unzipped all the way, to the extent that when I made my top quilt and tried it out I never got around to sewing up the foot box. It is still this way 6 years later.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I still use the 1.0, 1.1 fabric hammocks. Which means I'm very aware of what kinds of zippers, pull tabs, and other pokey, snaggy, types of stuffs I bring into the hammock with me. Even before I purchased my first TQ, I knew those things were bad.

Even using heavier fabrics you need to be careful about what you have in your pockets and such.

I once dropped a knife inside a tent a long time ago. Never had done it before, never after that, and since I don't tent anymore, it will never happen in the future.....but the one time I did, It landed point down, slicing right through the tent floor and sticking into the ground like the winner in mublety-peg.

With that type of luck....I'm jus sayin'
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO DBL NEST
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    So after reading all this... What your saying is it really all depends what you like... And a sleeping bag is a top quilt with a zipper.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast