Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips

Switchback arrives

Hey Guys,

My new Switchback Hammock was delivered today and I went out to set it up straight off.
    Below is a few pictures hopefully showing what I think are the special features of this wonderful hammock.
    I can easily echo the sentiments expressed by others with regard build quality.
    This is by far the best built Hammock I own, Period.
    I have not slept in it yet but sometimes you can just tell by looking at something that it is going to be very fine.

Here is a shot of my preliminary hang:

Here is a shot of the screen being opened fully with the spreader bars:

I borrowed these spreader bars from my Mac Pack. I added the little vinyl end caps to protect the hammock spar pockets.

Here is the channel ends.

The supplied rings and webbing:

And the zipper draw strings.

As I sat inside I was immediately impressed with the lack of that typical closed in feeling I so disliked when in some of the other hammocks I have been in. I am not claustrophobic but I often feel cramped in a hammock.
    I have more than amble room when I am flat on my back but I don't want to be forced into that position to feel comfortable .

The Switchback is not fussy. The zippers work effortlessly from inside or out, never snag and do not need to be given much consideration.
    To get out you just need to make a small separation and lift..... they unzip themselves in one smooth motion. Nice ! Exits are fast, fast fast!

I get in and zip it up, Done. The zipper "ritual" needed in some other hammocks is completely avoided with this design. Get in get out... Get in one side, exit the other... Easy Peasy.

The little attention to detail is very fine and reflective of designers that really knows Hammocks.
    Kudos Dale and John. I am very impressed and cannot thank you both enough.

I am sure I have left out much but this is a good start for now.
    More soon.....

Thanks,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Bone Stock
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Thanks. Weight, when you get a chance, please.
    sul

Lord, I'm foolish to be here in the first place...
    Sonny Boy Williamson

Hammock
    Switchback & WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by sulman View Post
    Thanks. Weight, when you get a chance, please.
    Hey Sulman,
    You're very welcome.
    Mine is the single layer 1.9 and as received it came in at exactly 32 Oz on my digital postal scale. It doesn't read out in grams but this should be close enough.

This is with the supplied suspension which includeds 2 x 12 foot long, double ended 1" tree straps and 4 large rings/rope.

I am seriously considering the Whoopie sling and would then cut one of the tree traps in half to form two single ended, 6 footers.

By getting rid of one 12' tree straps and the rings/rope I think you would be then looking at ~ 24 Oz give or take.

Darrel

Hammock
    Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Bone Stock
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Not too shabby. Yeah...whoopie down, bro. Thanks Darrel.
    sul

Lord, I'm foolish to be here in the first place...
    Sonny Boy Williamson

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Told ya you'd like it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Told ya you'd like it.
    Yes you did, and yes I do.

I am kind of fussy about how something works as well as how it is made.
    I have had nice trucks for example that just didn't work intuitively or were fiddley to use.
    Ditto for camping trekking gear. I like gear that is easy to use and doesn't require a lot of fussing or consideration during setup, use or transport.
    I also love flexibility. (See Molly Mac Pac)

The 500 pound Gorilla in the room will now be how these Switchbacks compare to the other popular Hammock brands out there.
    For me it is this ease of use, durability and most of all that spacious feeling while inside the Switchback that made the choice to upgrade very easy.
    360 degree panaramic views are so very cool in this rig.

I will personalize mine to work exactly as I need it to and will likely not be spending any more time on the upgrade Merry-Go-Round .
    I now have my favorite Pac, favorite Hammock and the rest will come and go as needed.
    They say third times the charm and so far with regard Hammocks this has been true for me.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Only three???????
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Only three???????
    Yep, Could have been many more

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Ok, Spent the first night in the Switchback last night and had a nice surprise.

I didn't get a chance to set everything up untill well after dark and this was only the second time setting this particular Tarp and Hammock up .
    I was wearing a headlamp and using the red LED's to help preserve night vision.
    After everything was up I open the hammock and was greeted with 100's of little red/yellow reflections coming from the braided line used for the ridge line ( non-structural) and these Zipper pulls:

Cool! Like little tiny party lights hanging up inside my screening.
    Makes finding the zipper pulls much easier.

It was cold her in Michigan last night. Likely down to 30-31

I partially closed the ends on the tarp to help with the wind and that worked pretty good while still providing enough air flow to keep condensation from forming. Everything stayed nice and dry, except yours truly.

I got a little damp from the CCF pad and woke up to a bit of a chill around 5:00
    I also had a cold nose / face as I didn't have anything covering it and didn't want to breath into the bag all night.
    Tonight I will bring a Buff for my face and maybe an additional wicking layer under my back. I am doing this testing at home so it is no big deal to carry out an extra layer to try.
    I am certain that a good UQ is in our future.

The Switchback was super comfortable and it interestingly enough felt like I had slept in it many times before? Everything went up fine on the first try and this was surprising considering I did it in the dark and had never slept in one prior. Cool .
    The interior pockets are very nice, well out of the way yet easy to reach.
    The screening way up there is so very nice. Almost like sleeping in a tent but without all the pain and discomfort that comes along with the spaciousness .

Nit pick... The spreader bar pockets are very hard to open / use. I think they are made from too thin a material and therefore are hard to open . Forget about doing it with gloves on. I think they could be improved with thicker webbing and possibly a slightly different orientation to the pocket itself.
    Something that securely hold the poles yet allows for easy entry/ removal.

Look at how awning spreader bar pockets are configured on some of the better 4 season tent for design suggestions... You can usually insert these even with big bulky mittens on. Their shape and design sort of helps guide the poles into place.

The suspension is first rate but I would like to try a Whoopie sling just for fun.
    I tied a slipped 1/2 hitch behind the big rings but they likely would have held pretty good without it. I didn't sag more than an inch or so during this first hang. I figured some stretch should be accounted for and once done it should stay exactly where you put it.

Oh, I tried hanging the screen support cord from the tarp "under ridge" line using Mini biners with a short length of cord with Prussic. Works very well!

I will just leave the extra set hanging from the ridgeline so that they are in place whenever I use this tarp. As it worked out I only need to use the elastic section of the screen tie outs. This left the remaining cord hanging free to serve as a drip line.
    I positioned them such that they would drip well outside the doors on the ends of the tarp.

That's about everything that comes to mind about this first ( Of many) hang with my new Switchback.

Kudos Dale and John, **** fine product.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    switchback
    Nice report and certainly seems to be a great product--
    Which tarp did you hang with it and how did the two fit with each other?
    Pictures would be great if you can add them...
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast