Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    TeeDee, the double-sided velcro is available in rolls, so you can cut whatever length suits you...pretty cheap that way.
    Thanks - I have seen it at Lowes, but they seem to have dropped it and no longer stock it for some reason. The only stuff they carry anymore, is a thin, all plastic version that doesn't last very long when done and undone a lot.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Thanks Shug - that's it. With the tarp reefed like that it is much easier to handle and manipulate.
    Yeah TeeDee, thankee ... did it quick and sloppy but just wanted to get a visual.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Sewing to the fabric ridge means I have to sew to both the 11' and the 10' fabric ridge. Or pivot back to the one with the Velcro/cords on take down. On the JRB 11'x10', that would put a line of Velcro/cords down the middle of the 10' fabric ridge which doesn't have a seam. I don't like that.
    You could sew cords to the ridgeline that has the seam and seam seal. And if you make the cords extra long and sew them to ridgeline in the middle of cord that is less sewing. The configuration that doesn't have the seam, you could sew those cords to the edges of the tarp, so you don't have to change tarp around to reef.

I think the cords that you sew to the seamed ridgeline will be quicker and less awkward to reef. (This is just a guess. Don't know yet.) But the cords on the edges are a good compromise since you don't want to sew on a ridgeline that doesn't have a seam.

And you can sew the edge ties first on setup without ridgeline seam. If those work well for you, do edges on other configuration and forget about sewing cords to ridgeline so no seam sealing is necessary.

I think I'm still going to try the grosgrain ribbon for ties. I think they will hold well enough to get tarp into stuff sack. I like idea about putting loop at end of one tie and using half hitch to hold so I'm gonna try that as well. Good idea, OldGringo. Thanks!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I do something similar, but I use the guylines which are already attached. I will see if I can get a photo.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    What about a SnakeSkin for your tarp?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    What about a SnakeSkin for your tarp?
    Used to use them. Didn't like the bubble in the middle. Made a constant diameter tube and no more bubble.

Liked the snake skins/tube because it kept that huge sail under control.

Didn't like the snake skins/tube because the ridge line cord had to be kept inside the skins/tube.

Like reefing better.

I did some experiments and decided against the Velcro wraps.

For the cords, I tie a bowline loop on one end. Put a micro-cord lock on the cord and tie 2 over hand knots on the other end, separated by about 1/2". The overhand knots keep the micro-cordlock on the cord and gives me something to grasp.

Sewed the cord to the edge of the tarp right at the bowline.

To reef the tarp:

1. bunch the tarp,
    2. wrap the cord with the micro-cordlock around the tarp,
    3. through the bowline,
    4. pull tight, and
    5. move the micro-cordlock tight against the bowline loop

Almost as quick and easy as the Velcro and I don't have the problem with the Velcro getting clogged with ground debris. Also, the reefing cords, even with the micro-cordlocks are less bulk than the Velcro.

HappyCamper - I sewed the reefing cords to 2 edges, an 11' edge and a 10' edge. 7 cords per edge.

I figure I can always put an edge with the reefing cords upwind and use them to tie the edges together to close off that end of the tarp if needed.

I plan on making Grizz Beaks, but if the end needs to be closed and I don't have the beak, I can use the cords.

So now the reefing cords serve a dual purpose. Thanks for suggesting sewing the cords.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you considered using ball bungees for the reefing? Pros: extremely fast and easy, Cons: heavier and more bulky than cord. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Have you considered using ball bungees for the reefing? Pros: extremely fast and easy, Cons: heavier and more bulky than cord. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.
    I thought about those...use em all the time, but they are really tough to keep track of, and as you said, they carry a weight/bulk penalty.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could just larks-head to the ridge line to keep track of them, but that doesn't make them smaller or lighter.

Or...this is just coming to me...what about making something similar with shock cord and toggles? Short sections of aluminum arrow shaft with a hole drilled to accept the loop of shock cord might be just the trick...very light and extremely easy and quick to use.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    But...isn't the ball already a toggle?

You don't want anything in the stuff sack that will wear/punch holes.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast