ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

NY > Noobs planning 7-10 days on the Fingerlakes Trail

OK, so now that a bunch of my old High School buddies have hit our 40's we are looking at a hiking trip. The original plan was to do part of the AT however seeing that 3 of the 5 are beginners and none have done more than 3 days on trail before, we decided that the FLT would be a better option logistically. The group almost sounds like a joke, 5 guys hike into the woods....

The Group consists of:
    Dumbass #1 (Me) - Overweight Eagle Scout who is still very active with the Boy Scouts and has above average outdoor skills.
    Dumbass #2 - Granola munching organic farmer who day hikes the Bristol Hills several times a week and looks like the poster child for L.L.Bean.
    Dumbass #3 - Computer Geek with very little outdoor experience, decent shape physically and eager to learn - certified EMT.
    Dumbass #4 - Computer Geek with decent outdoor experience and in decent shape but hasn't done much outdoors other than car camping with the family in 10-15 years.
    Dumbass #5 - Anesthesiologist - Lots of cool gear and in great shape physically but outdoor experience is mainly car camping with the family and skiing.

The trip isn't until September (2016) and we've been practice hiking, researching the trail and collecting gear for several months. I was hoping to find a couple people here that are familiar enough with the trail that I could occasionally ask questions and get some first-hand feedback.

The tenative plan right now is to start somewhere between Hi-Tor in Naples, NY and Hammondport and finish up at Robert H Treman State Park in Ithaca.

I guess my first question is realistically, what are the thoughts on how many miles we can expect to cover on a daily basis?

Thanks,

Pete

I'm sure you are probably already aware, but the FLT goes through quite a bit of private land. Being the timing of your trip is going to be early fall, be aware that many sections of the trail that cross private land close for hunting season. I believe some areas do offer re-routes during hunting season. Please also note that they might close these sections prior to the actual hunting season to prevent spooking animals. I'm not entirely sure. You will have to check the map listings through http://www.fltconference.org/trail/g...ap-fullsystem/ and coincide that with the hunting season. Here is the link to the NYS DEC for the 2015-2016 hunting season, I would assume next years dates will be similar. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html.

As far as miles per day go, that is completely subjective and relative. It all depends on physical conditioning, the weather, how much weight your carrying, the terrain etc etc... But a good standard I have always been told is that 1.5-2 MPH is an average pace.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Thanks GP and welcome to the Group!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    JP when I get home I will send you some more specific info and some suggestions.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Between Hi Tor and Hammondsport is on the Bristol Hills branch. Where the Bristol Hills Branch meets the FLT proper to Robert Tremain Park is about 100 miles. Having done much of the Bristol Hills Branch and the FLT sections in that area, I can say there is some nice hiking there. There is a little road walking, most of which is between Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes National forest. But less road walking that other areas of the FLT. So I would say you picked a good stretch. Some of my favorites places to camp are along that stretch. It is difficult to say how your mileage per day will pan out. It depends on the slowest person in the group and that depends highly on how much weight one carries. Some good resupply locations, most not too far (relatively) off the trail. If you want some more specifics, such as good campsites, etc... send me a pm.

dT
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    DT - I was hoping you would chime in, I remember reading some of your trail log reports but I couldn't for the life of me remember the link or your Screen Name!!!

I will be in touch for sure.

Right now we are thinking 10-12 miles per day with the thought that if we do more we can spend some time lingering and the more scenic spots. Once Spring hits we'll be doing some more serious practice hikes and some overnights testing out equipment. 4/5 of us have hammocks now, but I'm the only one who has ever used it for more than afternoon lounging. At this point my biggest concerns is food. I'm not familiar enough with the trail to know the decent resupply locations or camping sites other than the lean-to marked on the maps. I did pick up the map set for the area and the guide book from the FLTC website but I guess I was expecting a bit more detail.

Thanks,
    Pete

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Pete, stay in touch. I would welcome you and your crew to join me on some of my adventures as practice hikes, and just to "hang out".

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    For a new group, I'd suggest two things for the first big hike.

1) Be conservative with your distance. 1-2 mph is a fine place to start, but add some time for elevation. Try 1 hr per 1000 ft (both up and down) unless it's coming from long, gentle grades.

2) Plan on a rest day or two. It allows you to fix problems and still finish your trip "on time." It's not uncommon to have feet that need resting by the 3rd day or someone not feeling well. The flexibility to just hang out for a day or spend some extra time at a special spot if all is going well is awesome.

If you get overwhelmed on the food stuff, I'm happy to offer some suggestions. Mountain house is happy to help for a steep price as a simple option, but do your own breakfasts at the very least. Breakfast is easy, quick, and cheap to do yourself.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I've hiked the whole FLT and that's a good section. General Posts is right about the private land and hunting - it will impact where you end up camping. A 7-10 day trip is pretty long for a first trip. I'd try to shoehorn a 2-3 day trip in first to shake down gear, food, etc. I would recommend 8-10 miles a day if you're going with people who have never backpacked before. PM me if you want to chat about trip planning.

I have backpacking (but not hammocking) buddies in Macedon and Farmington. I wouldn't mind swinging that way if you wanted to get together to go over things.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Heed DuctTape's advice, and take him up on his offer to do a trip with him. He is an experienced backpacker and can really help you shakedown your gear and give you a lot of really good tips and advice.

Personally, with some inexperienced hikers in your crew, 10ish mile per day is a pretty fair milage assumption for a group like yours.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast