Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

7.5oz Climashield Underquilt Build

"We're going to need a bigger stuff-sack."

I'm going to make two of these - First this green one for research purposes (will be mine), and then her purple one after deciding on any changes.

Hard to measure, but a tad under 2" for the most part.

End channel and draft collar prep. I assembled and pinned them to one layer prior to assembling both layers and insulation.
    Next time the channel will be on the outside of the draft collar in order to keep it in place better when deployed.

Layers assembled, laying out and pinning the twelve loops - four for main suspension, four on each side as secondary.

This was a lot to ask of my Singer Talent - especially at the ends where there's six layers of nylon and the insulation. I did two rows just to make it even more fun.

Sasha is in charge of quality control. No CBS here! She LOVES hammocking by the way.
    The crazy chalk mark is the part not to sew - the opening where the whole thing will be turned right-side out. It's on the side because I didn't want to deal with the end channels and draft collars when sealing it up from the outside.

Turned right-side out, view of end channels, draft collars and side loops. The draft collars are on the inside when hung.
    I stuffed the draft collars with excess Climashield - but maybe too much. They're perhaps a bit too stiff. Just barely, but still. Also I think I'd sew them not just to the hem, but also sew a line further in to hold the collar on the inside of the cinched-up end channel. This would need to take place prior to everything basically. Or simply keeping the channel outside of the draft collar rather than inside of it may do the trick. I'll do this with the next one.
    All of the loops got some minor bartacking on both stitch lines. I think the side loops are fine with 3/8" grosgrain, but the end loops should probably be a little beefier, and all of them should get a bit more bartacking as I can already see some slight expansion of the stitches in one or two places - although I do have the tension fairly low on the machine.

I added webbing loops to the triangles on the hammock that I made for my girl in order to bring the angle up on the underquilt suspension.
    At first this was fiddly and pulled the triangle towards the gather - which would pull on the net if it were closed. I wound up attaching one end of the secondary suspension directly to the webbing loops and this seemed to mostly negate the effect - sort of evened out the pull. My Hennessy doesn't have any means to change the underquilt suspension angle yet, and I'm not too worried about it as I plan on making my own hammock anyway - probably similar to this one I made for my son-

Asking how much this underquilt weighs is kind of like asking, "how much for the Tiffany lamp?" - if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Actually, I haven't even bothered to weigh it.
    The material is a gridless 1.1oz nylon from RSBTR, but feels and appears heavier than the 1.1 ripstop I purchased from DIY gear supply recently.
    It's around 70"x46" and packs to about the size of a cheap, mild-weather walmart sleeping bag.

I used the thickest Climashield available to hopefully get my girl into hammock camping. She's a cold sleeper. 'Down-comforter-in-the-summer-time' cold sleeper.
    They say the 7.5oz should be able to get you down to 10°F, but there is no frigging way that's going to happen with her. Maybe 25-30°, but I bet that's about it. I'll be able to go lower I'm sure. I did low/mid thirties with a 3.6oz.

A huge thanks to this forum and members. I didn't know how to do any of this before you came along.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    That looks great! I love the draft collars and I really like your idea of the suspension tabs built into the hammock hoods. Can't say I've ever seen that idea before and I think this would even work better than upper end side tabs. I'll be "stealing" your idea the next time I have a zippered net/overcover diy hammock to build. Not only functional but I think it looks really good as well. Brilliant.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    That looks great! I love the draft collars and I really like your idea of the suspension tabs built into the hammock hoods. Can't say I've ever seen that idea before and I think this would even work better than upper end side tabs. I'll be "stealing" your idea the next time I have a zippered net/overcover diy hammock to build. Not only functional but I think it looks really good as well. Brilliant.
    Thank you!

I'm on to the next one.

Both of the draft collars are bigger, with the foot being bigger than the head, and the channel running outside of them.
    I stuffed them with less Climashield this time, so they're bigger yet softer and more conforming.

It's actually done right now and on the hammock. Pics to come of course.

It's for this hammock I made for my girlfriend.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ok, here it is-

The draft collars are working much better, conforming very well.

This seems to be working decently for the suspension lines-

The green shock cord is the primary suspension, is adjustable at the underquilt attachment, and is connected to the hammock suspension.
    The black shock cord is the secondary suspension attached by a cord lock to the primary suspension on the outside of the little bow-tie webbing thing.

Basically I was having trouble with the lines pulling the webbing loops and pink triangles towards the hammock ends.
    Setting it up the way it is in the photo seems to mostly cure it.

I don't know just how 'brilliant' these webbing loops are, but there's too much fiddle-factor at the moment.
    Deployment/takedown needs to be faster and easier.

So I weighed it..

2 pounds, 8 ounces in this sack-

This should give you an idea of scale as well.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Really nice high quality work there, the draft collars are really tidy looking.
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Looks interesting, but I'm not seeing any photos.

• + New Posts