Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Kyle-
    many good links already... but to solve the problem you're really solving... how to offer a new sew option.
    Why not just bite the bullet and do the sewing and reinforcement all in one?
    Zpacks used to sell (probably still do) premade tie-out patches for folks to add on. Basically just a piece of CF with the tie out sewn and then double sided tape applied so the customer could pick the ideal spots for their personal tarp and stick on where needed.

If you wanted you could pre-make some corners, with the preferred 1/4 circle shape of the BPL folks and sell the corners. Maybe offer a 90* for true corners(1/4 circle), and a 180* (1/2 circle) for the sides of a typical hex tarp. They would be easy to trim down for the exact angles- or any extra could simply be folded over like the tape patch mentioned in this thread.

If the end goal is to make it easier for a customer, don't get much easier than that.

Looking at your 12' hex tarp for example-
    To convert to new sew cuben- you'd need to add (6) half circle tie out patches and (4) side pull patches to make your kit.

A rectangle tarp would get (4) 1/4 circle patches, (2) half circle patches for the sides, and (2-4) side pulls depending on length.

I think there is enough research out there to avoid reinventing the wheel- you just need to sell wheels,
    Good ideas and suggestions Bill thank you. If we did a kit, we could certainly pre-cut and sew the pieces. But that's going to add cost and cuben is expensive enough already. Plus there's something about starting with just the raw materials and making yourself a CF tarp. If it's robust enough, I would prefer to do the entire tarp NO-SEW.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have been making my tarps without any sewing for several years. My experience shows that you can get by without sewing the tarp tie outs but the tabs for the ridge line need minimal sewing reinforcement. I have had 2 failures at the ridge line. Both of them were on friends tarps I made. Both times were in the summer heat. They were able to stick them back on to finish the trip. The cuben did not give up but the 9485 glue did. A few stitches in a Z pattern to keep it from moving was all that was needed. Never had any problems with the perimeter tie outs.

I did have a failure at 0 degrees with a stuff sack several years ago. Pressed it back together and after the temps came up never had a problem again with it.

Also the less layers of cuben for reinforcement means less chance for failure. The only reason for another layer over the tie out is to to keep the edges from starting to peel. You also need to offset the front from the back to keep from having a sharp crease point that will eventually give out.

Just my opinion and wife says it ain't worth much.
    Last edited by hangnout; 11-29-2015 at 21:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12