Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's why I love group hangs - to see the anal-retentive things people do with their tarp guylines!
    Who's going to implement a lightweight, durable, retractable guyline system? Something like those little ID badge cords.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    That's why I love group hangs - to see the anal-retentive things people do with their tarp guylines!

I'll continue to roll my guylines up in the tarp and keep the stakes separate - I just can't see adding velcro or shock cord to my cuben fiber tarp.
    Tired of untangling for twenty minutes. Its about efficiency The Velcro bits are almost weightless. If your happy with what ya got keep it up.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

I'll continue to roll my guylines up in the tarp and keep the stakes separate - I just can't see adding velcro or shock cord to my cuben fiber tarp.
    Not nice, It's not anal retentive to want to keep your gear clean and neat, i enjoy taking care of my gear and i dont enjoy untangling lines when i'm trying to set up.
    Putting your stakes with your tarp is asking for problems imo but hey if someone wants to do that then sooner or later they will learn thier lesson, but there is nothing wrong managing your lines in a neat fashion, for some it's part of the enjoyment, not anal.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin uq
    Suspension
    Strap,rings,'biner
    I like the idea but... I wouldnt keep the stakes attached (unless you enjoy repair work). I use a similar method but simplified. I chose to just use a figure-8 wrap. (Hold your thumb and little finger out "hang loose"-style)... Beginning at the tarp, I wrap the guys in a figure 8 motion around thumb and little finger about 12 times. Then i take the remaining foot or so and wrap it several times around the figure 8. Tuck the end under a wrap and pull snug to finish. Each of my guylines has a nite ize figure9 adjuster and each stake has a loop of 550 on it. To set the tart, I just free the end of the guy and toss the whole thing out. The Figure-8 keeps all lines tangle-free and rapid-set!! To stake, I first look and find a decent distance to stake and drive the stake FIRST, then I run the guy through the stake loop and up to the figure9 and pull tension. Combined with a continuous ridgeline and snake skins, my tarp can go from hanging undeployed to full coverage in less than a minute! Found that out the hard way at 2:00 in the AM about 3 weeks ago!!! My personal thought is: rather than adding hardware that may fail or become clogged, perhaps try researching useful knotwork that can serve the same function without additions? Great idea though!! Gutted 550 cord singed closed at one end can make individual stake "sheaths" that could help you keep your tarp hole-free while still keeping the stakes attached at their respective points. Depending on your stake style of course. Could work for nail-style aluminum stakes but not so much for the "triangle" style ones out there. Happy Hangin!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Who's going to implement a lightweight, durable, retractable guyline system? Something like those little ID badge cords.
    TATO apparently did come up with a retractable guyline system but the cord was very thin.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversideRidgeline View Post
    Combined with a continuous ridgeline and snake skins, my tarp can go from hanging undeployed to full coverage in less than a minute! Found that out the hard way at 2:00 in the AM about 3 weeks ago!!! My personal thought is: rather than adding hardware that may fail or become clogged, perhaps try researching useful knotwork that can serve the same function without additions?
    I have been using the method you described a couple of years. And you're right: the tarp can be deployed fast, and the lines won't tangle in the stuff sack. But it takes a lot of time to pack up. Also, I don't like having the ends of my guy lines and ridgeline hang loose when the tarp is set up. Admittedly my lines are very long - so there often is a lot of line that could trip me up. That means that I have to wrap up my lines twice - once after having set-up my tarp, and once when taking it down. That's a lot of time. I got tired of that. Therefore I added small shock cord loops with cord locks. It's faster to slip the cord over the wrapped up line than to wrap the loose end around the line several times. But maybe I'm just slow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123