Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Cloudburst external pole mod?

Has anyone messed around with using an external pole mod on a cloudburst?...Seems like both the poles and connections from pole tips to tarp might need to be longer due to the lowered pullouts.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    EE RevX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I did it and have attached a picture of the tarp during a nearby tornado. Ordered and made the same configuration as recommended for the Superfly in other threads which I believe is a 45 degree center connector and 2 poles on either side. Use a short cord with a loop to connect it to the pullouts. I like it, but think I will change how I attach it to the pullouts, perhaps with a short strap and a grommet. thumb_IMG_3821_1024.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaTrekker View Post
    I did it and have attached a picture of the tarp during a nearby tornado. Ordered and made the same configuration as recommended for the Superfly in other threads which I believe is a 45 degree center connector and 2 poles on either side. Use a short cord with a loop to connect it to the pullouts. I like it, but think I will change how I attach it to the pullouts, perhaps with a short strap and a grommet. thumb_IMG_3821_1024.jpg
    Hey thanks for the feedback. It is nice to see pics. I was hoping I could get by without the 45° connector, but maybe I will have to do it like that. Do you think it would be feasible to run a straight pole over top and use longer lengths of cord from pole tip to tarp (either shock cord or dogbones of appropriate length)? I may just try pegging out some cord from the pullouts to a stake in ground. I don't have my cloudburst yet, but from pics I've looked at, it seems the lower location of the pullouts on the cloudburst tarp would enable a tieout brought directly to the ground to pull the tarp out better compared to the more traditional pullout location (simply because you could get the angle of the tieout cord to the ground flatter).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I rigged up a pole mod like you describe once or twice with my CB. I didn't purpose make dogbones or other lines but just used the existing lines on the pullouts to connect to the poles. I think I just put a clove hitch about 18" from the tieout and connected this to the pole. To prevent them from slipping off the ends I connected the free end of each tieout together over the ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I rigged up a pole mod like you describe once or twice with my CB. I didn't purpose make dogbones or other lines but just used the existing lines on the pullouts to connect to the poles. I think I just put a clove hitch about 18" from the tieout and connected this to the pole. To prevent them from slipping off the ends I connected the free end of each tieout together over the ridgeline.
    What was your opinion of the setup? Did you feel like you would prefer longer poles due to the opposing pullouts being further away on the cloudburst?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    That's hard to tell. Some folks are doing the same kind of setup using hiking poles. I used 3 sections of old tent poles that came out to just over 4'. Those seemed to be fine for this external pole mod. I think there's kind of a sweet spot between pulling "up" verses "out". If you're using a ridgerunner and trying to clear the spreader poles I think you need more pulling out.

Hammock
    WBRR Dbl layer
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have straight poles nanolights and 6" dog bones. It works well. I'm considering running my poles all the way to the ground tie outs (threw the pullouts) as to make porch mode easily done. Sorry no pictures readily available. I like how tight it stays without the 45 at the ridgeline.

I used straight poles and dogbones and couldn't be happier. SOOOOO much more room inside the tarp with the pole mod.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhunter View Post
    I used straight poles and dogbones and couldn't be happier. SOOOOO much more room inside the tarp with the pole mod.

Setup looks great! So what length are those poles? Are they the "typical" 54 inches, or did you make them longer?

• + New Posts