11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Catastropic soft shackle failure

I sleep in my hammock every night either indoors or outdoors. Tonight indoors. My indoor suspension consist of cargo tiedowns lag bolted to the wall studs and using soft shackles to connect to my whoopies. On one end I have a regular soft shackle the other end is an improved shackle. When I first got settled in the hammock I felt a pop and felt the hammock jerk. I got up and checked out the suspension and everything looked ok. About an hour later next thing I know I am flat on my back on the floor, man thats a short fast fall. Jarred my head and back so I just layed there for a few minutes trying to figure out if I was broke. Finally got up, no damage to me or the floor but the knot had snapped off of the improved shackle. I think the first pop was one side of the shackle then later the other gave in. 7/64 amsteel shackle. I am not sure if improved shackle is the correct name. I weigh about 140 lbs. and have been using this arangement for several months. Sure glad my dog wasn't under the hammock, he doesn't sleep there but likes to get under it and push me with his head to get my attention. Thought I would share that with y'all.

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Wow what a story, hope you're not too sore tomorrow.. I guess you'll be changing that set up asap.
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Glad you're okay. It doesn't take a tall drop to mess up the back badly -- sometimes for good, if you land just right with body weight on your back. Even on water.

Yes, sailing folks rely upon soft shackles for big tension ropes, but with soft shackles made from big tension ropes. Tarps and poles are one thing but when it's my body at stake, I don't ever take a chance for some grams. I have no connection with the following company, familiar to many here, but suggest considering one of these. Only 22 grams, real metal mountaineering shackle, everything visible, cannot open, 100% reasonable certainty it will handle any human's body weight even on sudden drop yank, and as good a price now as I've seen. I have enough of them by now or I'd order even more. Hope this helps.

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-2...m?productId=39

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well this morning I have had a chance to look at the shackle to see if I could find out what happened. I could not remember how it was made last night, it has been a while since I made it and the only difference to a regular shackle is the loop part and that is ok. I really think the knot failed because it was not tied properly, not sure if it broke or came untied. I really trust these things and will go back with the same setup, because it works so well. I hooked it back up last night with a carabiner and it is noisy when I swing in my hammock. Anyway good hanging to you all.

I never had a soft shackle fail but I did have a strap break, I totally identify with the "short fast fall".
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    Well this morning I have had a chance to look at the shackle to see if I could find out what happened. I could not remember how it was made last night, it has been a while since I made it and the only difference to a regular shackle is the loop part and that is ok. I really think the knot failed because it was not tied properly, not sure if it broke or came untied. I really trust these things and will go back with the same setup, because it works so well. I hooked it back up last night with a carabiner and it is noisy when I swing in my hammock. Anyway good hanging to you all.
    if it was the improved type shackle ,you have to load the knot with a come along or winch of some sort ,other wise the knot can fail just wondering if you did this ? I have a few made and I am hanging from them nightly ,now I am nervous
    always use tree straps please

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I wiegh 400 lbs and sometimes hang from soft shackles and have never had one fail, thank god.
    I make my own but i use 1/8 th amsteel just for the extra feel of security.
    I loop them up in a tree behind the house and hang from them and pull them at the same time to set them, works for me.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    good to know ,I have put a lot of faith in these shackels,but according to the research that I did the guy had tested them to 230% knot strength ( I think that what it was he wrote ) the amsteel broke at the loop end not the knot
    always use tree straps please

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I "love" hearing about the failures ... to learn from, that is.

The risk of falling on one's spine is no small matter. Thanks for sharing! These accidents can happen, thus the need for acknowledgement and good judgment.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I don't use soft shackles. That does not stop me from thinking about replacing a soft shackle in the field (or woods). I would use 1/8 AmSteel and tie a diamond knot to make a continuous loop--leave the tails long and do not trim until the knot has set from at least one overnight hang. Connect both items with the Phantom Shackle and form a larks head with the continuous loop portion of the Phantom Shackle and insert diamond knot into larks head--cinch it up tight. YMMV and good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast