Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles

My First Project

I've been in research mode for quite awhile now. Over the winter, I think I am going to tackle my first project... making a top quilt.

I'm looking at creating a 72"(ish) wide x 78" long quilt with a karo step baffle (I'm thinking 3"). I'm looking at Ripstop by the Roll and getting 850 fp Hyperdry down. I'm going to have a closed footbox sewn in and thinking 24" being enclosed from the footbox.

I have a few questions....

1) I live in Washington state and camp mostly May - September... mostly it is warm and not humid so I would say overnight temps would not dip really below 40s F. I'm thinking 12oz of down. Would this be enough? Too much? I've done the math from some helpful articles (ThruHiker) and Youtube and think this may be about the right amount. I sleep warm and on my side.

2) I know I need a wide quilt. By-product of being short and stout. I'm looking at some options for my fabric. I could get the extra wide HyperD that comes 72".... or looking at using two pieces (4 if you count outside/inside) of the quilt, but this option would leave seams to deal with around the hip area. (Should I be worried a bit about losing down)... OR is there a third option that I should search out??

3) Is the "water resistant" down worth the extra few bucks $$$

Any comments and help would be awesome! Total beginner on MYOG so looking for input.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    72" wide is insanely wide!

Unless I'm way off on your definition of 'stout', you will end up having way too much extra quilt to actually be of any value to you. Have you made a fabric template the size you're looking at and tried it in a hammock?

For perspective, a queen-sized bed is 60" wide - - - you're talking a quilt 1 ft. wider than that? I doubt you would need anything more than 54 - 55 inches wide maximum.

Just my .02 worth,,, HYOH.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I agree with BackpackerGuy. Around 55” wide would do. Try out for size at home with a blanket. Fold and use safety pins.
    I haven’t made any TQ so I can only speak for what I got (HG TQ)and what I have read.
    You are talking about the wide HyperD. It is 1.6oz and it is NOT downproof. You have to use Calendered fabric for down projects. 1.0 HyperD Calendered is a better option but its not the only option you have. Most fabric is 60-58” wide.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

I agree that is super wide - I made a template by folding up a bed sheet and pinning it to get dimensions for my TQ. I'd say 78" is also pretty long depending on your definition of "short". I'm 5'10" and can "hunker down" in my 72" TQ as necessary.

I also agree on choosing a calendered fabric for down, I went with HyperD 1.0 and am really happy with it.

In terms of the amount of down you need, that will depend on the volume that your TQ dimensions yield and the FP of down you select. This chart is handy: http://www.dream-hammock.com/DownLoftTemp.html. I like some safety margin, so I'd probably shoot for ~1.75" loft for 40F.

On the down, I don't know if WR is worth it or not as I haven't put it to the test, but buying down from downlinens.com by the pound it is only a $5 upcharge, so... Also note that at downlinens.com there is a nonlinear jump in price at the 800->850 point, so I've been working with 800FP to save some scatch.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I was also looking at the extra wide hyperd.

The last tq I made was designed for 58" wide by 80" tall ( I'm 6'2") and wanted 3.5" tall baffles.
    That works out to 58 + (2x3.5) + seam allowance wide fabric so I wanted 68" or so raw fabric width. I needed a specific color that didn't come in wide, so I compromised on finished width and tacked on a 2" extender strip of hyperd on each side to finish close to design spec.

The amount of down depends on the total designed volume. There is an uq calculator floating around here that will tell you what you need, but 12 oz seems a little light unless you're going for not much past freezing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    Thanks for everyone's suggustions ... I was thinking that it was super wide too, but I did the layout with a sheet and that was close. My shoulder girth is about 60". My car camping bag is a Big Agnes Hog Park which is spec'd at 80.5 and I have plenty of room. All these ideas are great and has gotten me thinking. One reason I am looking DIY is to get things dialed in for me and not just off the shelf. Thoughts??

The length of 78" again was off of another blanket that I had. I'm thinking 72" might be better (and easier math!)

I have done the down calculator. So I think I am on the right track there. I will get it dialed in when I get the dimensions set.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    Backpacker guy.... I see your thinking... I took my queen comforter and measured 82"... so I took nearly a foot off of that! I like your thinking of the actual bed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    Ok Fellow DIY'ers ... I've been doing more reading today after hearing from you all this morning...

Just a thought... Is it easier to make an UQ for a first project? Get the hang and learn before tackling the TQ project? Thoughts??

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Pro fly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie's & Straps
    Limited experience here but I started with a UQ and have started my second UQ. I have not yet done my TQ but would guess it would have been the easiest to start with because I have gone a little crazy with my UQ.

Keep in mind that one sheet of a quilt will determine the width and length of the quilt. The other sheet is a differential cut, meaning it is wider and longer to create the space for baffle and desired loft. IE, the underquilt I'm working on now, the top sheet (up against the hammock) is rough cut @ 43X56", the bottom sheet (facing the ground) is rough cut 56X65". Desired finished dimensions will be 42X54". When suspended the top sheet will be virtually smooth while the bottom sheet will show the indentations of the baffles and be swollen with the down loft ...... With a TQ the bottom sheet (closest to the body) will determine the width and length of the quilt and the top sheet (Closest to the tarp) is a differential cut. Unless you're doing a sew through quilt in which case both top and bottom sheet will be the same size.

hope this makes sense and helps...??

Kix
    Last edited by jes4kix; 11-30-2015 at 01:05.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    RevTQ/IncubatorUQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Buckles
    Kix thanks for your thoughts. That is the type of help I'm looking for! Gives me a lot to think about for sure. Luckily... I think I might try to make both this winter! Then will be all ready to go next spring!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast