Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

11' hammock help

Hello all, after lurking for a while and scavenging info from other posts I have reached the point where I need some help with some stuff. I converted to the hammock in October and have had a few trips and several nights in the yard and have come to the realization that I may need to get an 11' hammock. Which wont be a problem as my wife wants the Darien. The problem is I am having some calf ridge, knee issues no matter which adjustments I make and I would like to be able to sleep without cramming stuff under my legs as I tend to squirm around at night due to RLS. I need help in picking out the next one. I really like the light weight simplicity of my Darien so I am thinking of keeping it simple and just getting the longer version of the one I have now or the other thing I am considering is the XLC especially with the sale that ends today but at almost 30oz It is quite a bit heavier than I would like to haul unless it going to be more comfortable for whatever reason. I can't figure out if the "footbox" in the xlc really adds anything comfort wise. I think when I watched Shugs review he said it was just a piece of fabric. Seems like with each video I watch I either decide I like one more than the other then swap back on the next one. If anyone has used both the Darien and the XLC or can shed light on the "footbox" I would really appreciate the advice so I can hopefully make up my mind today. Also I need to make sure all my current gear will work with the 11' hammocks.... Thanks...... Chris

Current setup:

10' DH Darien SL1.6
    HG 20 Incubator regular
    11' WL Tadpole

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'm only 5'5" tall, but a slightly wider 11 foot hammock works best for me. I had an 11 foot Hammeck Netty, and now have an 11 foot Hammeck Breezy, both in their Acu camo fabric which is 64 wide. I never could get comfy in a hammock that was narrower. I have no experience with the XLC. I had a WBBB years ago and didn't care for it. I believe DH has the wider fabric available, or Hammeck can make one with it if you want.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I won't help much by saying that my 11' BIAS WW, made right there in TN, is my most comfortable hammock. It's wide enough to use Knotty Mods to gather the loose material at the head, and form a very comfortable footbox at the other. I sleep comfortably in a 10' DH Freebird, every night. The difference for me is a combination of Length, width, and "Knottybox".

I'm a netless fan, so YMMV. Integrated systems affect the diagonal slightly as well. For some it puts calf ridge right where it is felt the most. A bit more sag and more diagonal of a lay effectively moves whatever ridge is left higher, usually behind the knees, where a little bump is much more welcome, or even further up falling under the thighs, which are wider/heavier, less prone to hyper extension.

At least that's my two cents.......for now
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    The foot box makes it feel wider than it really is so its more comfortable than a hammock of equal width that doesn't have a footbox. Both the Darien and the XLC are nice hammocks. The XLC does have some options such as a cover but what Brandon really offers is the amazing shelf. It's a tough call though because it is heavier.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I'm only 5'5" tall, but a slightly wider 11 foot hammock works best for me. I had an 11 foot Hammeck Netty, and now have an 11 foot Hammeck Breezy, both in their Acu camo fabric which is 64 wide. I never could get comfy in a hammock that was narrower. I have no experience with the XLC. I had a WBBB years ago and didn't care for it. I believe DH has the wider fabric available, or Hammeck can make one with it if you want.
    Wow.. now I am really liking that Hammeck Netty! I had never seen those before so now my decision is a bit tougher. I am 5' 10" and 170 lbs. so I have no idea if I will be ok will the standard width. Never been much of a camo fan. Hopefully just the added lenght may help. I think the XLC is a bit wider but it just really is more weight than I wanted and I dont know if I would like having all of those tieouts.

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    The foot box makes it feel wider than it really is so its more comfortable than a hammock of equal width that doesn't have a footbox. Both the Darien and the XLC are nice hammocks. The XLC does have some options such as a cover but what Brandon really offers is the amazing shelf. It's a tough call though because it is heavier.

Does the footbox on the standard blackbird make much difference compared to a standard width 10' hammock? I would love to be able to stay with a 10'

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Killer deal on an 11' Darien in For Sale right now. It's length that appears to make the biggest difference, so 11 ft was my top priority. FWIW, XLC is 63" wide. Cheers.

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Yeah its tempting, Im just not sure about the whoopies as on my last trip tree spacing was an issue even with my 10 footer and cinch buckles. Just worried after that one although that problem may not happen too often. Guess you never know.

Hammock
    Chameleon Soon!
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Incubator-Ghst Pep
    Suspension
    Web / Mule Tape
    I was in same situation, regarding 11'. I ended up ordering a few things from Dutch on his sale and pulled the trigger on a 11' Dutchware with Knotty Mod. I had planned to make a DIY one, but for $10 more could get one someone else made. Take a look at the knotty mod, makes alot of sense to me hopefully will be worth it. I was looking really hard at the XLC, but just seems that the extra pullouts, and weight might not be worth it for me, plus the price breakout point. I have some no-se-um netting that I am planning to do a DIY Bugnet with to keep my cost down. Will be putting Structural Ridgeline for bugnet and controlled hang once I get it. Have DIY suspension from other hammock that I will switch over. I had a bad run with zippers this last season and I am in the process of replacing and upgrading gear away from zippers.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I am having a similar problem. Got out this year 3 times in my GT Skeeter Beater and I'm wondering if maybe it isn't too short for me? I'm 6'2" 140lb.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast