Simple ways to improve ENO Onelink system?

Having just picked up the Eno Onelink package from REI as a first hammock, I figured it would be a good start but could use some finer tuning eventually. I have not even hung it up yet, I'm currently riding out an Illinois winter and this hammock is my hoping to eventually get a stand for my yard or try it for car camping and backpacking in warm weather. I am looking to improve whatever I can without spending much money, while keeping my lower-usage goals relevant, and keeping things as simple and low maintenance as possible. I will not be taking this thing on any month long expeditions or living on it full-time, this is just a side-project for when it's warm enough to hang.

My kit contains the following:
    Doublenest hammock.
    ENO carabiners.
    Guardian bug net.
    Profly tarp.
    Atlas Slings.
    Stakes.

I have been told about the issues with ENO nylon straps, thus am glad I got the Atlas models included which don't stretch as much. I see most people using knots, I personally prefer the simplicity of clipping to pre-made loops versus trusting my poor knot skills to hold my bodyweight after a long day of hiking. Whatever modifications or upgrades are suggested, I would like to keep using the Atlas by default.

Hammock wise: I saw threads detailing re-lashing the bulky ropes with a cord known as 'amsteel' which appears to cut down packing bulk considerably. I also wouldn't mind looking into alternative carabiners, keeping in mind they need to snap around the Atlas webbing.

Overall, while I keep things light, I'm more concerned about packing things smaller and without tearing risks than counting every single ounce. Simple mods like the rope and carabiner swapping seem ideal, but is there anything else I can do to cheaply improve what I have before the season starts?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    13' CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Incubator/Ignitor
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    While I understand your aversion to using knots (I would tend to agree, It takes me a long time to learn a knot and I still can't wrap my head around many of the more complex ones), I would rethink being set on the Atlas straps. There are many systems that are far lighter and more compact than the atlas straps and require no knots. I personally use Dutch's whoopie hook system and I can fit both whoopie slings, a set of 4 foot straps, and a set of 6 foot straps into one of the atlas strap stuff sacks. Using that system and a couple of amsteel continuous loops, I've eliminated the carabiners, the heavy rope through the ends, and all the extra webbing from the atlas straps. Not to mention, this system is way more adjustable than the atlas straps.

The other modification I made to my ENO is a structural ridgeline. It made a world of difference. You can use 1.75mm Dyneema (zing it) or 7/64th Amsteel. This I would consider a must. The Doublenest was no where near as comfortable without it.

Also, fair warning, the longer you use your ENO, the more you may wish you had a longer hammock. I'm about 6' tall and am going to order an 11' dutchware hammock soon as the 9' 6" Doublenest is just not as comfortable anymore.

YMMV.
    Last edited by MPhelps81; 12-04-2015 at 17:26.

Thankfully, I'm rather small at 5'6 and the Doublenest should be spacious. Will look into options for adding a ridgeline.

Any options for the lightest or smallest possible carabiners that will still support hammock weight? I see Dutch has titanium models, but which would fit webbing rather than knots?

Weigh your ENO carabiners. The ones that came with my ENO DN were 18g each, hardly worth changing unless you want to mess with Amsteel soft shackles. MPhelps81 is dead on with replacing the straps as a major weight savings, as well as on adding a 1.75mm structural ridgeline to improve comfort. At 5'6" you'll be fine in the ENO. Replacing the stock ropes with an Amsteel continuous loop on each end will save a bit of weight and bulk, but probably not a lot.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I am not in anyway even in the realm of looking at ultra light backpacking but here are a few ways I made my DN the best that it can be (in order of complexity)
    1. Replaced bulky rope with a nice amsteel continuous loop. For me it cut down on the bulk and made things just look cleaner.
    2. A ridgeline is a must. I'd go the route of making an adjustable ridgeline. Reasoning being you can really dial in what you like and you have the ability to change if needed.
    3. Knotty mod. I did this just to keep the sides nice and taught, but it can also help in keeping a top quilt I am the hammock.
    4. Sew a footbox into the foot end of the hammock, which will give you a flatter lay.

Since this is a project for you, there are plenty of great vids on DIY, which I encourage you to watch. Doing things yourself can save you a nice chuck of change, plus it's a great feeling making your own gear. Continuous loops are super easy to make. If bulk saving is a big deal for you I have to say look at getting a more compact suspension system. My suggestion (which is no knot system) is whoopie slings with a Dutch buckle. Whoopies are also easy to DYI and straps are cheap.
    I used the One Link system before I upgraded and it was a nice way to get into hammock camping, except for the bug net which is just not for me and a pain. Pick up some zing it or lash it for your tarp ridgeline and guy lines. I will say my ENO doesn't come with me camping any longer but it is permanently set up in my living room, makes a super great lounging hammock.

Happy hanging

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    I would consider the Helios suspension, also by ENO. It's going to function similarly to the Atlas Straps, but you cut the suspension weight in half, and you cut down on a little bit of bulk as a looped bit of amsteel is smaller than the double length of strapping that the Atlas Strap is made of. I think both systems have their pros and cons, but it's worth thinking about at any rate.

• + New Posts