ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas/Whoopies
    Images

Higher end 30 degree UQ that can double as TQ for tent camping/general blankie...

So does anyone have any experience where they use their down under quilt for hammock camping, but then use it as a top quilt as well for when you're in a tent? I want to get a nice 30 degree under quilt for my hammock setup but it would be a better sale to the wife if I could say that it does double duty as a top quilt, etc.

I've seen the Sierra Sniveller and the multipurpose options look awesome, I don't quite understand if I can use that for an under quilt or just as a top quilt? I also like some of the Enlightened Equipment quilts, that look rectangular and suitable as a top quilt and/or could hang as bottom quilt.

I guess my question is what makes a bottom quilt unusable, or not as good, as a dedicated top quilt? Is it the taper, the directional baffle? a lack of a footbox? no hanging points? and/or on the flip-side is there a top quilt out there that does good as a bottom quilt? I'm really looking for specific quilt suggestions that work well as both, which brand/size, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I have one. You can use the JRB SS series, as either TQ or UQ, as the site claims. You'd probably want to go with a quilt hook suspension, instead of shock cord, so you could actually just unhook it from the hammock body, and stick the footbox back together to be used for TQ. Both ends of the Snivellers have cords to cinch up as an UQ, or snug down around the shoulders, for even going to that other place that shall not be mentioned.....down there!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas/Whoopies
    Images
    Do you think there's any advantage, considering I'd be using the SS as a bottom quilt sometimes, to get the long version? I'm 5'9" and the regular is my size, but would there be any advantage when using it as a bottom quilt to having the longer length?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If you are going to be hiking around with it, the regular would get my call. It would reduce both weight and pack volume slightly vs the long. The advantage of the long would be in TQ mode, if you are one of those that likes room to pull it over your head. I'm 5'6" and I can do this with the regular.

Generally using a partial UQ, I set the head end where it runs across the top of my shoulders. Setting the regular SS up the same way would give me more than enough length to cover my feet and then some.

I'd really only worry about having enough length to cover head to foot on under insulation, if running a Zero degree insulation kit for deep winter camping or I was an extremely cold sleeper. Certainly not at 30 degrees and above.

Hope that helps
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas/Whoopies
    Images
    So I'm still into the ss, but I asked them via email if it could be used as a bottom quilt and they replied that it was designed for top quilt use...didn't say I couldn't use it, and if I did it would be good to 30...I also can't see where the ss specifically is mentioned for use as a bottom quilt on website, am I missing a link somewhere? Thanks for all your help, just have funds to do this once...
    Last edited by aug_aug; 12-08-2015 at 19:42.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a JRB Old Rag that I use as an UQ on my hammock and when I am family camping in a tent or our camper it pulls TQ duty. Could not be happier with it in either location
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelly Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas/Whoopies
    Images
    Is the old rag super warm? I'm in the Pacific northwest so I thought I'd shoot for a 20-30 degree bag...hmmm, looks nice though and its on sale...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware

your gonna want to look at the multi function quilts. The Hudson river will do both top & under quilt. 30°-25°. Shug has a video on YouTube showing it as a under quilt.
    Benji.
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    https://youtu.be/D9N3KkV5Zf4
    I'm on my phone, see if this works. In this vid the under quilt is the Hudson river. All of his other videos its his go to top quilt. I've got the old rag mtn (0°) & have used it both ways.
    Benji.
    Edit: yeah, it worked!
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use the orm, hr, and the Shenandoah to pull double duty with my family. My wife and two children have Hennessy's I have a ridgerunner. When we go out as a family I check the temps. If it is going to be in the 30's at night, my three orm's pull duty as an underquilt for the three Hennessy's and my wife and I use the Hudson rivers as tq's while the two kids use their 15degree sleeping bags. If it is just my wife and son and the temp only gets to the 30's then both get orm's for uq and my son uses the hr as a top quilt and wife uses third orm. It gives you so much flexibility to use multiple quilts in multiple ways. This is why jrb always gets my $. I own three orm's, 2 hr's, 2 Shenandoah's and a grey lock 3. Can't go wrong with jrb!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast