Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images

30* Angle Hang Not The Temp

So is the 30* angle for your hammock with or without my big butt inside the hammock? I bought a cheap angle gauge and what to test out my angle of accent so I can build a new ridgeline. Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Without the hammock loaded.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    I have always tried to set my hammock at 30* without me in it.

Loose hang from the tree until my fat *** tightens things up! Also a ridgeline will help you get that angle immediately every time after you get it set up right.

I made an adjustable ridgeline that will help you get the angle just right. I did the math for my hammock to find the right ridgeline length (83% if I remember correctly) I then took a length pod amsteel which was more than what I needed. I fixed a climbing caribeener to one end. Then I measured the length I needed and marked out with a sharpie and fixed another climbing caribeener with a simple lark's head knot at the mark. I took the tail of the line and tied a prussik knot onto the main part of the ridgeline. If I feel like the 32 degree sag is too much or not enough with my weight, I can simply undo the lark's head, shorten or lengthen the ridgeline and reattach the caribeener. It has never slipped on me and I'm nearly 250 lbs.

This is also good if you use different hammocks that are different lengths.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The cheapest, and lightest, angle gauge of all... Your hand. Make an L with your hand, turn it to the side so your thumb is pointed straight up. Put the tip of your thumb on your strap or whoopie and the tip of your pointer on the strap too. When your angle is aprox 30* your pointer finger will be level.
    I found I like a little more sag, so more angle, for the most comfort. Just lay in the hammock and adjust as necessary till your the most comfortable. Have someone else grab a tape measure and measure from your would be attachment point to the other and you have your length.
    It is nice to have a detachable ridgeline for sitting up and hanging out... I just put a continuous loop on one side and my ridgeline from the other and I attach with one of Dutch's Ti caribiners. I have a WBBB XLC so the ridgeline goes through a loop on each end of the netting so that's the reason for the continuous loop on the one end.... Also, only disconnect the ridgeline when the netting is unzipped and unclipped and rolled back to avoid ripping it...

Hammock
    SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    Skip all that angle stuff. Measure your hammock length and make the ridgeline 83% of that measurement or better yet, make or buy an adjustable version. While the 30 degree is a good thing to shoot for to insure you are not overtaxing your suspension components, it is no longer critical to your comfort once you have an RL. All mine seem to end up at 82-84% of the hammock body length when I am all dialed in. EZ-PZ....happy hanging!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock & Warbonnet
    Tarp
    UGQ & Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing W/ Buckle
    I have had good luck just following the lines of my hammock straight up to the tree with my strap. When the angle is set properly the tree strap and hammock material all follow the same line and the ridge line has just the right amount of tension on it when i am laying in the hammock. I just adjust the length of the straps and the height of the anchor point on the tree until it is perfect.

Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Images
    I just watched a video of a guy hanging his hammock and he used his "L" shaped fingers to get his 30* hang and it made me think.....(ouch). If I hang my feet higher to get a more comfortable hang...will I still get a 30* hang at my head an feet? Does it matter? Should I only worry about the head end? Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast