DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps

Condensation prevention

I just did my first overnighter in freezing temps, and while I stayed warm in my hammock using an underquilt and MSS intermediate bag, I noticed the whole top of my sleeping bag was wet. I figured I would probably need to also purchase the gortex bivy that is included in the set so that moisture sits on that instead of my sleeping bag. Is there some other way that I can prevent this from happening?

I had to use a microfiber towel to soak up all the water, and then dry the towel to prepare my bag for a second night of use. After a few days I bet the bag would be unusable...
    Check out my YouTube channel for camping/bushcraft outings, equipment reviews, and tips/tricks for getting the most out of your outdoor adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/ellingsworthjason1/videos

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2PNoATVbI This is one way to deal with it. Works great!

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps
    Could it really all be from my breath though? I mean everything was covered in frost...top of tarp, tow strap suspension, etc. I can guess that Shug's idea would help, but I don't think it would totally solve the problem.
    Check out my YouTube channel for camping/bushcraft outings, equipment reviews, and tips/tricks for getting the most out of your outdoor adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/ellingsworthjason1/videos

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One cannot prevent condensation from happening. At best we learn how to deal with it and Shug's Frost catching bib hung from a ridgeline is a good one. I do something similar in that I tie my small backpacking micro fibre towel from the ridgeline so that it sits just below my chin.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps
    I'm thinking I might have to bring some kind of thin blanket with a waterproof backing that will dry quickly to put on top of my sleeping bag. As long as my body heat is also heating the top blanket, then the condensation should form on top of it instead of my bag. Another option would be my realtree rain jacket spread across my bag so the moisture beads on top of that instead. Tricky business dealing with condensation...

Frost bib and vapour barriers pretty much eliminate condensation

Not the most comfertable tho

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you hang over grass you will get a whole bunch of condensation from that as well...

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Do Not seal yourself into a Goretex anything.....you'll just seal in all your water vapour.
    Use a fibrous blanket over the ridge line draped over the hammock...it will breathe keeping your quilts dry, holding heat keeping things above dew point, but will soak up the exterior moisture/frost so it does not reach you and your quilts.
    It all comes down to managing moisture as you will never eliminate it. Better to dry the blanket come morning than your quilts.
    Another means is to hang in heavy tree cover as that will prevent Radiant losses which rapidly cool all things nylon like tarps, quilt shells etc
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dream Hammock & Warbonnet
    Tarp
    UGQ & Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing W/ Buckle
    Yes your breath will cause a lot of condensation, however for me it usually only extends down to my waist at the most. My solution is to use a piece of kit i always have with me, a Hill People Gear Mountain Serape. I like to wear it in poncho mode and lay the front of it over the top of my top quilt to catch any condensation and it also adds warmth to my sleep system and gives me a hood if I need it. If it is to warm for both I just use the serape as a top quilt. It has a good DRW finish and the moisture from the condensation does not bother it at all. Another nice thing is if i have to get up at night I have a nice warm serape already on my body.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It may have been the MSS bag. Could be overinsulated? Just a thought. They have synthetic insulation I think. More thn likely if you could cut down on your body moisture inside your bag you may get less on top. Wear less while sleeping. Could take a few tests.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast