Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Fast Setup and Teardown Tarp

In getting ready for the Hike Around Lake Monroe here in Southern Indiana, Clint and I had to find a way to shorten our packing time including setting up and tearing down our hammock setups to keep up with the many other hikers that were doing this 22 mile, 3 day hike.
    One of the things we had to overcome was hanging the tarp and centering it on the hammock. Secondly, we had to find a way around those tangled tarp lines, even though we were using No-Tangle line. What we came up with is illustrated in the pictures below.
    Instead of cord, I replaced the ridge-line tie offs with 3/8 inch polyester webbing and plastic ladder locks adjustors. They weigh next to nothing, perhaps 4 ounces total including the S Hooks shown, but they shortened the setup time and teardown time to a fraction of what it used to take.
    To me, it is well worth the few ounces difference over NO TANGLE cord, which, on a Speer Winter Tarp always tangled, to NEVER TANGLING with the 3/8 inch webbing, and the tie outs on the edges of the tarp all have a loop in one end. Stake the LOOP and adjust the length of the webbing and you are done.
    I may add a video later if anyone is interested in setting up FAST, Adjusting FAST and Never being TANGLED. Not shown is me putting the tarp in Snake Skins. When the Snake Skins are pulled back, the webbing just falls out completely untangled!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Mule, my tarp setup is somewhat similar to yours but I'm still using cord. For my tarp I'm using snakeskins and ridgeline cord with SpeyGuy's suggestion of cordlocks at my tarp's ridgeline ends on both sides and then use the smallest minibiners at the tree end of the cord. This is similar to yours in that it also has the adjustibility and is a very quick setup. It's also pretty light and my cords have stop tangling.

I used to take the time to wrap all my guyout lines but with the snakeskins it's totally unnecessary. In fact the lines tangled more when I took the time to wrap them. Now they just get swallowed in the snakeskins.

I find the setup quick and controlled even in windy conditions and repacking is quick too. With the cord locks on both sides of the tarp, it's easy to reposition tarp over hammock if wind direction changes and I want to close off different end of hammock. The ridgeline cords wrap around the folded up snakeskins.

I got my cordlocks from Quest outfitters.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I also switched to the mini cordlocks as per Speyguy from Quest Outfitters. I did have to downsize on the guyline diameter however as what I was using, I think its 2.5 mm glowcord, was a bit to thick to work nicely in the cordlocks. I purchased a roll of braided polypro that is 2mm and it works much better. Very easy to adjust. I am going to try your suggestion HC about not wrapping them up and letting the snakeskins have em. Thanks!!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I purchased a roll of braided polypro that is 2mm and it works much better. Very easy to adjust.
    Got a link for this?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    We have a local hardware store that carries this in various colors. I'm not home at the moment, but the brand I believe is Atwood Rope Co. I'll check it out at lunch time and get back with you to confirm. Maybe I can find on online vendor as well.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    In getting ready for the Hike Around Lake Monroe here in Southern Indiana, Clint and I had to find a way to shorten our packing time including setting up and tearing down our hammock setups to keep up with the many other hikers that were doing this 22 mile, 3 day hike.
    One of the things we had to overcome was hanging the tarp and centering it on the hammock. Secondly, we had to find a way around those tangled tarp lines, even though we were using No-Tangle line. What we came up with is illustrated in the pictures below.
    Instead of cord, I replaced the ridge-line tie offs with 3/8 inch polyester webbing and plastic ladder locks adjustors. They weigh next to nothing, perhaps 4 ounces total including the S Hooks shown, but they shortened the setup time and teardown time to a fraction of what it used to take.
    To me, it is well worth the few ounces difference over NO TANGLE cord, which, on a Speer Winter Tarp always tangled, to NEVER TANGLING with the 3/8 inch webbing, and the tie outs on the edges of the tarp all have a loop in one end. Stake the LOOP and adjust the length of the webbing and you are done.
    I may add a video later if anyone is interested in setting up FAST, Adjusting FAST and Never being TANGLED. Not shown is me putting the tarp in Snake Skins. When the Snake Skins are pulled back, the webbing just falls out completely untangled!
    Cool idea!
    I use a similar setup, without the webbing

Setup:
    1. Kelty Triptease rope

2. Exped Cord Stuffsack

3. 2 Mini-D Carabiner Weight: .1 oz / 2.8 grams

4. And small rings (mini vers of the hammock setup) as adjusters.

This gives me a light, tangle free, super fast setup, that's easily adjustable.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post

I really like this setup. I'd be interested in seeing the video, when you have a chance to make and post.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd also like to see the video. Looks interesting.

Thanks!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Odd. I never have an issue with tangled guylines. I use spyderline, and some of my tie outs are over 10'. Setup and take down are quite fast. I do wrap up the lines starting at the tarp ennd using my pinky and index finger and then criss-crossing the line as i wrap. When I get to the last 3-4inches, i revive the criss-crossed bundle from my fingers and wind the rest aorund, finishing with a clove hitch. This takes very little time and i never have a tangle issue.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Odd. I never have an issue with tangled guylines. I use spyderline, and some of my tie outs are over 10'. Setup and take down are quite fast. I do wrap up the lines starting at the tarp ennd using my pinky and index finger and then criss-crossing the line as i wrap. When I get to the last 3-4inches, i revive the criss-crossed bundle from my fingers and wind the rest aorund, finishing with a clove hitch. This takes very little time and i never have a tangle issue.
    I won't say never, but I will say rarely. Speer No Tangle and Snake Skins. Basically, just unwrap the skins and stake out the lines. Sometimes there will be a small tangle, but never anything major. So far anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast