DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Years ago, there was a cycling magazine … Cyclist, I believe. There was a contributor who submitted the final article one month who had an article called “Half Wheel Hell”. Even though I can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning or dinner last night, I do remember the article as clear as day. He wrote about the fact that there is always one rider that you ride with that always has to be half a wheel ahead of you. It doesn’t matter if you are going 10 MPH or 20 MPH; he always has to be half a wheel ahead of you. Never equal with you or truly ahead, just half a wheel ahead, so it makes it so inconvenient to talk to him, which he wants to do. It must be a subconscious thing that drives that quirk.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Years ago, there was a cycling magazine … Cyclist, I believe. There was a contributor who submitted the final article one month who had an article called “Half Wheel Hell”. Even though I can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning or dinner last night, I do remember the article as clear as day. He wrote about the fact that there is always one rider that you ride with that always has to be half a wheel ahead of you. It doesn’t matter if you are going 10 MPH or 20 MPH; he always has to be half a wheel ahead of you. Never equal with you or truly ahead, just half a wheel ahead, so it makes it so inconvenient to talk to him, which he wants to do. It must be a subconscious thing that drives that quirk.

STinGa
    interesting...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post

STinGa
    Funny how some things stay with you but oh so true, and the thing is just about anyone you can ask will tell you they know someone who is just like that ,,, A half wheel ahead of everyone else.

By the way, i am gonna use that term now to describe these people, it's alot friendlier than how i have been describing them up till now.
    Thanks STINGa

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I found hammocks late. The benefit of being a late-comer is the body of knowledge already exists. Much of the hard work and mistakes have already been made.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I think...I did...I do...look at me...I'm smarter...
    I am in sales and so my job is to persuade, convince, manipulate, lie to, cheat, steal..wait, I got off track. I talk a lot in my job, to a lot of people. Some are great to talk with, some are painful. The difference I find is in the balance of give and take.

In my personal life I am comfortable with who I am, what I have done, how good I am (or not) at (fill in the blank), etc. I like to talk ideas, and learn where I can from whomever I can. I don't really subscribe to the listen twice as much as you talk mentality (I mean, if I am smarter shouldn't I be doing all the talking?), but I am very much a listener. With a HUGE filter. If I can learn, share, and make the other people in the group better off after I leave, I feel it was successful. Doesn't really matter if they think I am cool or not, or they like my idea or not. I don't have the energy to fight the who is cooler battle. That doesn't mean some people don't annoy me.

I am sure if someone like that met me in the woods, I would get a few unasked for lessons. Yellow harbor freight straps. Sleeping bag. Tablecloth. Camo Poly tarp. Old heavy backpack. Some day I will upgrade my gear, nothing wrong with having quality stuff. But just because I'm frugal, does not mean I don't know my stuff.

I have learned a lot here since March when I started lurking. Enjoy reading other's input, perspective, experience, hammock related or not.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    every endeavor is a bit like visiting people that one considers significantly less well off.

it never fails; when you eat a meal that they've prepared you're always blown away by how some portion of it is outstanding, despite it's simplicity and humble origins.

visiting upon another hammocker is like that in a way, with the mother-of-invention dna a subtly at the least.

less subtle is that hammockers do consider themselves the admirals of the backpack-camping navy.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Smiling fondly at this thread....

Note: except for Gunner76 who joined in 2009...all poster are 2012-1015...The odds are you will meet many who "started earlier"... And like most who visit HF who come to enjoy HF and all things hammock, it is likely everyone of us will at some point annoy someone with this favorite subject.

Pan
    Similar sentiments here. As for annoying people with THIS favorite subject, heck I likely do it with many of my favorite subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Yes that's the point. No matter how seasoned, some people just seem to have that "I started before it was popular" phrase canned and ready to go within the first few seconds to talking.

I also don't look at:
    1. Post counts: for example, 80% of mine personally are BS anyway
    2. Some people I've met are on here, but never sign in or signed up years after starting
    A wise person once commented about the comparative value of post count vs nights in the woods count. Wish it were me so I could remember it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dang, I feel old. I think I officially started hammocking in 2010, but didn't join the forum until 2011.

At least I haven't been around as long as peter_pan!
    To be around that long one would be really old. Glad I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    I found hammocks late. The benefit of being a late-comer is the body of knowledge already exists. Much of the hard work and mistakes have already been made.
    True words about the benefit of a body of knowledge existing. I do miss the, "what if we took _____ and did _____ in order to better ______?", conversations. I too have benefited from the hard work of others but I still seem to find new ways to make mistakes.

Fun thread.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    A wise person once commented about the comparative value of post count vs nights in the woods count. Wish it were me so I could remember it correctly.
    Yeah I remember that. But I hate that stupid quote. I have a lot of free time between work projects but that doesn't mean I can drive and hang whenever I want. For some of us, this forum is the next best outlet given our work/family schedule. As I look over, I see I have a lot of posts. And like I said, a lot of them are BS I'm not going to hide it!

Actually hanging > talking about hanging > doing neither. But you can't always have it all unfortunately.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's all just the good old "well my dad....." stuff that we all did when we were kids. It's fun when your trying to one up for giggles but it's annoying when people are all serious about it...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    For some of us, this forum is the next best outlet given our work/family schedule. As I look over, I see I have a lot of posts. And like I said, a lot of them are BS I'm not going to hide it!

Actually hanging > talking about hanging > doing neither. But you can't always have it all unfortunately.
    I'm not reviewing my past posts. :roll eyes:

As far as this being the next best outlet, i agree and it appears I'm in good company.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 12-08-2015 at 16:02. Reason: autocorrect and my thoughts are not the same...
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast