Load Bearing (First Project)

The wife and I have been fooling with the geometry for a comfortable 2 person hammock.

After a lot of trial and error and nights of starting out sleeping in the back yard only to stumble into the house after being squished together or falling over we finally have a design we like.

However we made the prototypes from cheap, tough heavy canvas.

Now begins the process of making it light. My question is this. Does anyone know the load bearing ability of 1.1 oz ripstop nylon? (Specifically this stuff as we need the extra width: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...ylon-xl-orange) We are small. The two of us togather we weigh under 300 lbs.

If needed was thinking of adding a second layer of support made of 3 inch web nylon fishing net (strong Weighs nothing -- allow me to sandwich in some reflitix when needed --its just a p.i.t.a. to sew in.)

Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.7mtn Wide
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs12
    Insulation
    JrB Nest
    Suspension
    Dutch kevlar strap
    If you are going to go that light, take a look at Dutch's Hexon 1.0. It will be at least as strong and less stretch.
    Interested in seeing your design. Any pics yet?

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I think 1.1 is right out.

Look at the 1.6 oz HyperD XL ripstop nylon from ripstopbytheroll.

I looked the Dutch's Hexon 1.0 but he 60 inch width made the design require a seam. Where the 72 inches by the RTR stuff gives me the extra width I need to do it with out a seam. Seams leak, rip, weigh -- just not an elegant design if they can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I think 1.1 is right out.

Look at the 1.6 oz HyperD XL ripstop nylon from ripstopbytheroll.
    Thanks genet: But I'm kinda looking for data. Like that general said: One measurement is worth 100 expert opinions.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have no experience in this area but IMO 2 layers of 1.6 XL. The odds for broken arms and legs are bigger with two persons in the hammock in case the fabric a seam or whatever fails. Also remember the suspension.
    Falling from a hammock as a single person is not likely to cause injury but if its two persons and an arm or a leg gets in the way its a different story………..

2x 1.6 xl may be overkill but its difficult to find wide 1.0 or 1.1 oz fabric. Not all fabric is comfortable but i dont know this yellow fabric from RSBTR.
    I do know the HyperD

2 layers = 2 chances to avoid injury

Edit
    I missed the part about no seams. Bad idea!! Fabric is far more likely to rip from the edge if it doesn't have a hem.
    Last edited by Snowball; 12-08-2015 at 16:36.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Load Bearing (First Project)

I have made a hammock out of the Orange XL fabric you linked to. I wouldn't trust it to 300 pounds. It may hold, but it would be pretty stretchy regardless.

That specific fabric is relatively new and hasn't been tested very much. Normally a plain weave 1.1 ripstop nylon hammock is given a comfortable weight rating of around 200 pounds.

The 1.6 HyperD XL is about the same width and much stronger.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I don't think you'll find a "measurement" for the load bearing of 1.1oz ripstop.

Each fabric varies in weave (things like weft and warp) and denier of both the primary and grid threads as well as the pattern of the ripstop grid itself.

There are 'recommended' weight or loads based on stretch, comfort and not actually being torn by the load. Dream Hammocks has a nice chart that works as a guideline. http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Not fond of the fishing net idea, though it is light, it will also be noticeable, imho, while lying in the hammock. Double layer 1.1oz is very comfortable and you do have the option of layering 1.1 with something even lighter, sub 1oz/sq yd Argon fabric.

Another thing to consider is the feel of the fabric, some of the 1.1oz stuff feels a little rubbery in heat and humidity while others do not. So perhaps consider the 1.1 as a base fabric and maybe some Argon as the fabric that will be on the inside. There are some threads out there that talk about this approach. Argon isn't the only option, ripstopbytheroll has come a long way in a short period of time and there are options there as well. Give Kyle a call and talk about what you want to do or drop him a line.

Last thought, there are a few commercially available 2 person hammocks, might want to check those out for a few ideas while brainstorming. The Clark Vertex comes to mind but there are other such as the Tentsile that creates a multiple person hammock on the "tent" floor.

Best of luck with the project.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Call or message Kyle at RSBTR. He should be able to help.
    Personally I wouldn't go under the HyperD 1.6. Also I know for a fact regular 1.9 will hold over 300 even with a couple of seams as I've made one like that and my wife and I have lounged in it.

• + New Posts