BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NWNomad View Post
    Did you order a mark 2? That pad should do pretty well for it. I don't know if your keeping a blog or something for your trip, but I'd be curious to know how the mark 2 (or any hammock really) treats you on this trip, especially when you go to ground with it.

I bought a BA bag and pad just today from someone on this forum. Looking forward to trying it out in my Clark in a couple of months when I return home.

No, have not ordered, but a possibility. First course of action is to see if the BMBH can work. Still think it has one of the simplest and most flat lay of most hammocks out there.

I watched the videos of the 90 horizontal hammock and it looks interesting.

And if I do the blog, I will let you know. It will be on crazyguyonabike.com. I am looking to ride the Beaches to Bluegrass Trail between Virginia Beach and Cumberland Gap, Va. About a two week, 650 mile trip. Hope to hang as much as possible, but will be trying fire department and church yards a couple of nights. Thanks for the insight on your system.

I'm another bike tourer and I have run into some of the same issues. Depending on how much you are willing to carry you can bring some reinforced pvc poles and hang using those. I usually bring some old rip stop bags to use as anchors when there isn't a way to tie off to a rock or anything else. I've thought about making some of those large screws used to hold down dogs out of titanium as they could double as tarp stakes.

There are some backpacking hammock stands but I haven't tried those.

If you are interested in working together to solve this and find a really light way of bringing our own poles then I'm totally game.

(From experience a couple of 2x4s from Home Depot can work in a pinch too.)

Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    What has prompted this is that I am looking at doing some bicycle touring next year. Folks that tour often will set up at a local fire department or church property in order to gain access to low (no) cost camping / water source. You would be amazed at how many fire departments do not have trees next to their facility. So, I have my BMBH hammock with built in bug screen and I might have to set up on the ground. This is the good start to place under a tarp...on the ground. I have seen the Jacks picture on their website, but do not think it will work in a windy situation in an open field. Even on a bike, you are trying to minimize weight, so I am looking for the lightest set up I can find and still have the option to be in my hammock as much as possible. Just need to be prepared when going to ground.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicflux View Post
    I'm another bike tourer and I have run into some of the same issues. Depending on how much you are willing to carry you can bring some reinforced pvc poles and hang using those. I usually bring some old rip stop bags to use as anchors when there isn't a way to tie off to a rock or anything else. I've thought about making some of those large screws used to hold down dogs out of titanium as they could double as tarp stakes.

There are some backpacking hammock stands but I haven't tried those.

If you are interested in working together to solve this and find a really light way of bringing our own poles then I'm totally game.

(From experience a couple of 2x4s from Home Depot can work in a pinch too.)
    I don' expect to bring anything whatsoever in the lines of a hammock stand. Just too much bulk and weight. Since I am already starting with a Surly LHT that is made of steel and my normal backpacking gear stored in panniers, I am already at a tipping point on weight....so no stands. I am struggling with lashing my trekking poles to the bike set up as it is.

This route starts out pretty flat in eastern VA, but rapidly gains altitude once past Martinsville. I will be climbing mountains enough that weight will be a factor on my 55 year old lungs. So in essence, I am taking an ultra light approach to cycle touring..., but trying to keep my BMBH as part of the gear (due to comfort). When I look at my sleep set up, the down bag and the NeoAir are a definite staple to gear selection, so this does not factor into my base weight adjust ability. The hammock, tarp & bug screen, tarp tent, trekking poles, etc... are up for consideration based upon weight. When cycle touring, you do not have the direct impact of weight on your knees and ankles as the bike supports this mass. Instead, you have the cardio impact as you are moving this mass up hill and over long distances.

So trying to justify the BMBH or another style hammock (for comfort preference) vs. just a tarp pitched with a Sea to Summit style bug net and my normal sleep system. From a weight standpoint, the latter is the better choice..., but I am on the ground and subject to wet conditions packing up in the morning should a rain storm visited me during the night time. When cycle touring, you always have the options of a B&B or hotel. But what is the fun of sleeping indoors, when you are trying to get back to basics (not to mention the costs).

So, the search will continue. Maybe a new $350 investment will outweigh the costs of hotels or the inconvenience of sleeping on the ground in wet conditions.

I have a long haul trucker myself with ortlieb rollers on front and rear. I do have a rack pack to use when I need more room but that is getting up there in weight.

I'm moving to using a Tyvek ground cloth for when I can't properly hang...

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Just a quick note on some of the bike specific items: First, I have found that pitching a tarp using a bike can be very stable. Similar to using your trekking poles, it will be wobly at first, but with tension, it is solid. This set up has worked well for me, even in pretty windy conditions (Rocky Mountains above tree line):
    IMAG2199.jpg
    I have also had good results with this set up using the Surly Krampus. Better actually since the 29+ wheels make for more space under the tarp.

If you are committed to lightening your load, you could look at dropping the racks and use bikepacking style bags instead. A frame bag and seat pack would do nicely and hopefully let you cut out at least your rear panniers. And if you are MYOG minded at all, a frame bag is relatively straightforward to make.

Regarding the gear options: I might suggest simply adding in a lightweight hammock to your ground set up (tarp, S2S net, NeoAir). I have done that a few times with my 10ft NylonD1.0 hammock. With dynaglide whoopies, Kevlar tree straps, and an ASRL, the hammock set up only adds 8oz, packs down to a grapefruit, and is quite comfy. Sleeping on the XLite isn't as comfortable for me as an UQ, but it is still nice. And, I know from experience that you can rig the S2S bug pyramids as a mediocre hammock net.

For a groundcloth, you could get a piece of polycro and cut it to about 3'x7'. This will weigh about 1.5oz and protect everything when you go to ground. If you are hanging, well you then have a nice, big, clean place to sort through gear, lay down your pack, etc.

But, if you are committed to having your BMBH as your primary shelter, then I would say give some time to trying to pitch your tarp with the frame and front wheel. I think you can get it to work, and you won't damage the bike. It does take some time to figure out and dial in though.

Hopefully that helps! Sounds like you are going to have yourself a fun tour here soon.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Just a quick note on some of the bike specific items: First, I have found that pitching a tarp using a bike can be very stable. Similar to using your trekking poles, it will be wobly at first, but with tension, it is solid. This set up has worked well for me, even in pretty windy conditions (Rocky Mountains above tree line):
    IMAG2199.jpg
    I have also had good results with this set up using the Surly Krampus. Better actually since the 29+ wheels make for more space under the tarp.

If you are committed to lightening your load, you could look at dropping the racks and use bikepacking style bags instead. A frame bag and seat pack would do nicely and hopefully let you cut out at least your rear panniers. And if you are MYOG minded at all, a frame bag is relatively straightforward to make.

Regarding the gear options: I might suggest simply adding in a lightweight hammock to your ground set up (tarp, S2S net, NeoAir). I have done that a few times with my 10ft NylonD1.0 hammock. With dynaglide whoopies, Kevlar tree straps, and an ASRL, the hammock set up only adds 8oz, packs down to a grapefruit, and is quite comfy. Sleeping on the XLite isn't as comfortable for me as an UQ, but it is still nice. And, I know from experience that you can rig the S2S bug pyramids as a mediocre hammock net.

For a groundcloth, you could get a piece of polycro and cut it to about 3'x7'. This will weigh about 1.5oz and protect everything when you go to ground. If you are hanging, well you then have a nice, big, clean place to sort through gear, lay down your pack, etc.

But, if you are committed to having your BMBH as your primary shelter, then I would say give some time to trying to pitch your tarp with the frame and front wheel. I think you can get it to work, and you won't damage the bike. It does take some time to figure out and dial in though.

Hopefully that helps! Sounds like you are going to have yourself a fun tour here soon.
    Wow MattK....picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like you jambed the dropouts into the ground a bit and then tied off each side of the handlebars. Then took the front wheel to the back and ran a stake into the ground in the back and a ridge line between the tire and the seat post of the bike. Ingenious. I will have to give this a shot on Saturday.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    MattK.

Did you get your idea from this link? Pretty nifty

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tent/Bikamper

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    fullcount, yeah that is the basic set up. Except I use end only tie outs, not one long line. I have also found that I don't even need to tie off the handlebars. I just run the front line over the top of the seat post and then wrap the handlebars a couple times and then stake it out. All with one line. That alone is usually plenty stable. Though, using your LHT, you might get a little more security and peace of mind if you peg out the bars separately. For the back I run the line around the tire and rim (to keep it from slipping to the side) and then stake it out.

Ha, I have seen that set up before. It doesn't hold much allure to me though, mostly because of weight. It is about 2.5lbs heavier than my current ground set up. The credit for the pitch goes to Google though. I just did an image search for "tarp set up using bike" or something similar, and found a few options. The A-Frame is an old standby, but I usually go for more of a lean-to set up myself. Mostly for the easier in and out.

If you want any info on the actual mechanics of pitching the tarp, let me know. I have spent a silly amount of time pitching tarps in a bunch of different set ups, using different supports (trees, bikes, poles, backpacks, sticks, and combos of all), in my backyard. That means I am finally comfortable in pitching out in the wilds. To confess, I am tarp camper at heart. Outrageous, I know.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    This subject comes up fairly often in one form or another. It is a good subject to consider because you will inevitably run into a situation where hanging is not feasible. I was a tarp camper before I started using a hammock, hated tents. Having knowlegede of using whatever is available to set up a tarp w/o trees is useful. Nearly any hammock with a net can be used as a bivy. Not ideal, but will get you out of a jam. I also carry an ultralight air mattress, Thermarest Neoair, with intentions of never having to use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    This subject comes up fairly often in one form or another. It is a good subject to consider because you will inevitably run into a situation where hanging is not feasible. I was a tarp camper before I started using a hammock, hated tents. Having knowlegede of using whatever is available to set up a tarp w/o trees is useful. Nearly any hammock with a net can be used as a bivy. Not ideal, but will get you out of a jam. I also carry an ultralight air mattress, Thermarest Neoair, with intentions of never having to use it.
    Hey, looks like there's some hammock habitat in the background of that photo .

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast