2016 NOBO AT thru hike (newbie)

So far my gear sits like this.. I have a 15 degree western mountaineering bag and a 40 degree one. I just purchased a 20 degree incubator and I also have an Neoair sleeping pad. Will this keep me comfy? I have a tarp my mom would let me use but I am considering springing for the the cubes fiber tarp with doors for the saved weight and extra coverage... I have a sleeping bag liner and I am also thinking about purchasing an uqp. Does anybody have any constructive criticism or is my setup good? Carrying all of this in a ula catalyst ( I'll be switching gear out as needed by mail) also I am typically a cold sleeper

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BongsAway View Post
    So far my gear sits like this.. I have a 15 degree western mountaineering bag and a 40 degree one. I just purchased a 20 degree incubator and I also have an Neoair sleeping pad. Will this keep me comfy? I have a tarp my mom would let me use but I am considering springing for the the cubes fiber tarp with doors for the saved weight and extra coverage... I have a sleeping bag liner and I am also thinking about purchasing an uqp. Does anybody have any constructive criticism or is my setup good? Carrying all of this in a ula catalyst ( I'll be switching gear out as needed by mail) also I am typically a cold sleeper
    Sounds like you have the insulation all covered & there should be plenty of room in that catalyst. I would read up all you can & check out peoples videos of recent trips for added info. On you tube I enjoyed "will wood" & "gator miller" they had a lot of info on there trips even though the tent camp. Can't hold that against them though.☺

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    You've got a year+ to take your current setup out and figure out what you are comfortable with and works well for you. With good site selection and well pitched tarp a UQP isn't necessary. The only place you will likely need the sleeping pad is in GSMNP. You are required to stay in the shelters unless they are full. Hammocks are prohibited inside the shelters. A tarp with doors (does not need to be CF) does not weigh much more than without and definitely can help shield against weather. You should have more than enough room in the Catalyst. Sleeping bag liner can be nice when it's too hot for your TQ but too cold to go without.

Have you purchased clothing yet? Rain gear? Don't forget about a pack liner.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    You've got a year+ to take your current setup out and figure out what you are comfortable with and works well for you. With good site selection and well pitched tarp a UQP isn't necessary. The only place you will likely need the sleeping pad is in GSMNP. You are required to stay in the shelters unless they are full. Hammocks are prohibited inside the shelters. A tarp with doors (does not need to be CF) does not weigh much more than without and definitely can help shield against weather. You should have more than enough room in the Catalyst. Sleeping bag liner can be nice when it's too hot for your TQ but too cold to go without.

Have you purchased clothing yet? Rain gear? Don't forget about a pack liner.
    both fortunately and unfortunately i don’t have a year+ i leave in march 2016 only a few months away idk whether to be stressed or pumped haha. i haven’t purchased any clothing yet.. as far as rain gear... i have a poncho that is pretty light weight, but i think i’m going to invest in an actual rain jacket and pants.. and for my tarp.. I’m going to collect all the rest of my “base weight” first and weigh my pack. I’ll decide after if it is worth investing into the CF tarp but it makes me feel good that you say it isn’t necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Sounds like you have the insulation all covered & there should be plenty of room in that catalyst. I would read up all you can & check out peoples videos of recent trips for added info. On you tube I enjoyed "will wood" & "gator miller" they had a lot of info on there trips even though the tent camp. Can't hold that against them though.☺
    Thanks i’ll look into those tubers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    DIY Costco
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Also on you tube SAM DUCHARME. and loner2012. They both thru hiked using hammocks.
    Sam just posted this week on his AT rig. He responds to posted questions as well as loner so you can definitely ask them for advice.
    Good luck and post up on the forum or you tube. I love following thru. hikers.
    I just like to make stuff.

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    but i think i’m going to invest in an actual rain jacket and pants...
    Maybe look into "thePacka" raincoat if you plan on spending new money on AT rain gear. Shug made me curious enough to take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alHF4yLDStY ...I ended up getting one. I always hated the rain pants/coat thing....too much trouble to get in and out of...plus coat is always between backpack and body making everything wet.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    both fortunately and unfortunately i don’t have a year+ i leave in march 2016 only a few months away idk whether to be stressed or pumped haha. i haven’t purchased any clothing yet.. as far as rain gear... i have a poncho that is pretty light weight, but i think i’m going to invest in an actual rain jacket and pants.. and for my tarp.. I’m going to collect all the rest of my “base weight” first and weigh my pack. I’ll decide after if it is worth investing into the CF tarp but it makes me feel good that you say it isn’t necessary.
    Doh! my bad. You should be pumped not stressed! Get out as much as you can on weekends/holidays now. It will give you the opportunity to shake down your gear and figure out what works, what doesn't, what you might want to change. As far as "actual" rain jacket and pants you don't need to the "best" you can get your hands on. Rain gear does not keep you dry. You will get wet. Rain gear can help you manage how wet but much more importantly your temperature.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Check out Sam Ducharme's Youtube channel. He finished the AT in Sept. Used 2 hammock setups: one for cold weather and one for warmer. His videos are a great watch and he just posted on his hammock/tarp setups.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm curious about your hammock and suspension choice.

BongsAway
    Your journey begins very soon! I am very new to forum and also to hammock camping.
    I am starting my AT section hike the first week of June. I have to be back home in IL mid August. My goal from this forum is to learn and purchase my first hammock to use on my hike. I have a weeklong shake down hike the end of March to test out all my gear.
    Good luck to you...

• + New Posts