Thread: Hennessy SS Mod

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ

Hennessy SS Mod

I haven't seen this or have missed it if it has been done. So here it goes.

I got a HH SS off of here for $50.00. It got here Tuesday.

That night I set my Expedition up and put the SS on, I wasn't impressed. I fiddled with it and kept adjusting ( in the dark) and the bottom slit kept staying gapped wide open. I left out the stock HH SS pad and put one of the Blue egg crate style pads from Walmart in. That dang gap was still there and it seamed like cold air just flowed up from the bottom.

Wednesday, I stopped and got some snaps. The Expedition has had the 2Q ZQ zipper mod so bottom entry is not nessessary. After I put the snaps on , closing the SS bottom slit, I put the blue pad back in, TO ME that made a wolrld of difference.

I probably would not have done this if I had paid full boat retail for the SS. But the snaps still leave the option of bottom entry.

So I went snap crazy. I took the $9.00 Dri Duck poncho and added a snap on each bottom end ( I already had the draw cords on it) Laying the poncho on top and snapped on both ends it was looking good. ( the snaps when snapped left an opening @ 4" from the center fold) Right now I just left the ends of the ponch just hang down. The poncho thing aint new just a different attachment.

But it still needed more. I used some tarp clamps , (Temporarily) to hold the ponch in place on the side tie outs. so far so good.

I unclamped the driver side and got it, an clamped the poncho back to the side tie out ring. so far so good. The poncho was taunt but not to tight to tear it. and what a difference that made.

It got late, so that is as far as I got last night. Now I gotta sew some elastic on the poncho get some small biners to attach the sides to the tie out rings.

I have no idea what the final longevity will be with condensation, but for a wind break, and added rain sheild the poncho looks promising.
    Last edited by Randy; 11-12-2009 at 06:30. Reason: spelling

It isn't clear to me where you are placing the snaps.

Images
    I'm not sure what is going on with your SS. Mine is over 2 years old and there has never been a case where the "bottom slit kept staying gapped wide open". It id always closed fairly tight by elastic tension, usually one side overlapping the other a bit, and has to be manually opened for entry, more or less.

So any way, I'm trying to figure out what is up with that? Is it being installed incorrectly, or have some of the elastics been cut some where along the way? Or has it somehow been damaged or was it a factory defect? Impossible to say with out seeing it.

Glad to hear you have come up with a mod that is helping the malfunction.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    The snaps on the SS are used to just keep the bottom slit closed. The draw cord was still there, and I am pretty sure it was installed correctly, I just didn't like the gap on the bottom.....

I"ll get some pics of the snaps on the Poncho.
    Last edited by Randy; 11-12-2009 at 09:55.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Im with BillyBob58.... I too am woder what is going on... I have the SS and there is no gap on my SS slit. It sound like the shock cord in the edges of the slit has gone bad or has some how pulled apart.
    The snaps sound like a decent fix. Just might take a little more time getting in and out. Especially out when you really have to go water a tree in the middle of the night.

If you can take a picture of the SS unsnaped. I'm sure we can figure out what's happening.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have the zipper mod, so it is a top loader now,,, but the snaps leave the option for bottom entry or use on an HH with out the zipper mod.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will second (third?) the gap on the slit. I wonder if you have it upside down?

BTW, are you saying you have attached the poncho to the bottom of the SS? If so, why?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb &amp; DYI UQ
    No, the poncho is for the top ,, I really need to get picks of it....

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    garda hitch/rings
    [QUOTE=BOB1520;170190]Just might take a little more time getting in and out. Especially out when you really have to go water a tree in the middle of the night.QUOTE]

I added a ridgeline mod to prevent those late night excursions. It's a adjustable water bottle carabiner. I use a recycled Gatorade bottle that hangs behind my head, easy reach at 3:00 a.m. Of course the nocturnal animals my wonder why the hammock is swinging side-to-side at that hour, but I'll just leave them guessing.

Hammock
    WBBB &amp; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    unsponsored/Incuba
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    is there a differance in size between the explorer and expedition? (i don't know, i'm guessing they're a different size)
    do you have the correct ss?