Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images

Snake skins in the rain

My hammock setup is WBBB XLC with snake skins and whoopies and a silpoly 11 ft Cave Creek tarp with snake skins. I am a newbie, and due to my work situation I haven't been able to go hanging yet other than to set it up for a quick test. I have been reading about hanging in the rain and that the snake skins have been the cause of wet hammocks. So how can you rig your snake skins so water doesn't run into your hammock or should you opt not to use the snake skins if there is a chance of rain? What is the general feeling of the group?
    Life is short, and sometimes very hard, but, NEVER GIVE UP!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    E it were raining i would set up tarp first then i would have a nice dry area to hang my hammock. Not sure how the snake skins would cause the hammock to get wet, if anything i think they would help keep it dry when setting up. I don't have skins on my hammock, just on my tarp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Pull the skins back away from the tarp beyond the prussigs or whatever you use to attach it with. Water should run down the hammock suspension (whoopies/straps). Somewhere along that line, you need a drip line (piece of string/ring/carabiner) before it reaches the hammock.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB, DH Hybird, TL
    Tarp
    Superfly, WD, TH
    Insulation
    HG Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    web / buckles
    As mentioned above, a drip line on your hammock suspension helps keep water from flowing down toward your hammock. If your tarp ridgeline runs under your tarp you should consider drip lines here as well. The snakeskins on your tarp lines should not affect this one way or the other.

Perhaps you were reading about gear that is packed vs. gear that is set up. In that case, snakeskins over a wet tarp can cause your hammock to become wet depending on how you pack it. Tarps will not dry out while in the snakeskins. If you jam it all in your backpack (and your hammock stuff sack is not waterproof) the hammock could get wet. You should keep wet items separate or outside your pack to avoid this.

Also remember to hang the wet tarp to dry once you can. I forgot this once. Two weeks after a rainy hang I went out again and was surprised my tarp was super wet. Still in the snakeskins it seemed dry to the touch, but the trapped moisture inside hadn't evaporated at all.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The feedback you saw may have been based on systems like Hennessy Hammocks use, where the hammock and tarp all go in the same snake skin.

I don't know of any concern using separate skins.

Hammock
    CCH Robic 11ft, XLC
    Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images
    I should have been a little more descriptive of the situation, what I am concerned about is water running down the whoopies and then getting the hammock wet. My snake skins on the hammock are very tight fitting around the end of the hammock, so I have just left them on the end of the hammock. They run up the whoopies about a foot or so past the end of the hammock where they are out from under the tarp. So I am concerned that rain water would soak the snake skins and then the hammock.Should I pull them completely away from the end of the hammock or secure the extra length close to the hammock and use a drip line.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What are you snake skins made of? I've personally never heard of snakeskins causing a hammock to get wet. If they're waterproof, snakeskins should have the opposite effect and insure that water doesn't run down the suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    CCH Robic 11ft, XLC
    Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images
    Silnylon is what they appear to be made of. I had read where the water running down the whoopies would collect in the snake skins and into the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCAMPER View Post
    Silnylon is what they appear to be made of. I had read where the water running down the whoopies would collect in the snake skins and into the hammock.
    I've personally never experienced that phenomenon. The snake skins usually keep water from getting on the whoopies.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCAMPER View Post
    It seems that if you follow the suggestions of using a drip line between the snake skins and your hammock, gravity will take over and you'll be dry, but I might not have got into my brain what yours was sending.

I came into a pair of snake skins and found them a little awkward to use but see a huge benefit if setting up in wet weather. My quandary is how to break camp with a wet tarp, how to get and/or keep the tarp dry and how to keep the wet tarp from getting the hammock wet upon set up. I've watched videos of the breakdown process, rolling from the outward part but I didn't see any that were done in the rain.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast