Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I would think you could gain a good bit by stringing a trusty blue-poly higher up over your setup, and with a very steep pitch... like an A-frame cabin...steep enough to shed all the snow. Then your rig-tarp would only have to serve to keep you snug and the winds at bay.
    The shed-off snows might even get high enough to form a wind-break/berm around your site.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I worry more about theft. My Walmart blue backpackers tarp is still going strong, having been up more or less constantly 3-season for 3 years. The grommets did finally pull out, though, but the rest is fine, though a bit stretched. You don't want it in the open though, synthetics and UV light don't play well.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have a set of straps and toggles that stay out indefinitely but, everything else is taken down every AM. The only exception is if the tarp is wet and I expect it will dry before I leave home.

I can deploy my hammock, tarp and quilts fairly quickly and I rather enjoy the exercise/ practice. In addition, I might choose a different hammock from the...(quiver?, armada?, arsenal?, harem?...did we ever agree what to call a collection of hammocks?)...on nights 2,3,4...

My investment is too large to leave exposed to the elements when not in use.
    Last edited by OCDave; 12-13-2015 at 19:43.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I do this a lot and recommend bringing it in every day to dry out, then washing the hammock every other week or so.
    How I (easily) do this: my hang location Turtledog Stand has "S" hooks and my hammock(s) have continuous loops sized for the correct comfort hang (83%). I just grab the two ends of the hammock and walk the whole 'package' into the house to be hung on an indoor Turtledog Stand with "S" hooks there too. Anything damp hangs over the ridgeline to dry (indoors).
    Befor I has 2 TD stands I would just lay the hammock/insulation out on the bed each day to dry out. A Simple quick disconnect method is the key.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

I leave mine out in my back yard mostly year round. I have it rigged with a heavy duty grey vinyl hardware store tarp which I have to replace occasionally and a homemade bug screen made from curtain sheers. The bugscreen being made of heavier fabric actually helps retain heat. I have a DL with a pad between layers and an old heavy fiber filled sleeping bag that I use unzipped just for cover. I bring the sleeping bag in every day to wash occasionally. I get a little sun on one end but the convenience of having it ready to use negates whatever UV damage it may get. Sometimes I wonder when the whoopie slings are going to let me down but every time I check them they seem indestructible. I have a black lab mix who loves to sleep with me most nights running the total weight close to 300 lbs. It's a Simply Light Designs hammock 11' and I have to say I'm greatly satisfied with the workmanship as this is my first hammock.
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If I had a place to hang in my backyard, I wouldn't use my hiking gear. That was simply too expensive. I would get a cheap but heavy duty canvas tarp. Alternatively a cheap blue tarp, or I would think about building a primitive shelter for the hammock. I would definitely not leave my down gear out - you can read up here why. I might leave the hammock out, but probably only in a sock, or in a snake skin. I probably wouldn't use my hiking hammock but a DIY hammock that I can replace with less money, should something happen to it. I guess it depends on how expensive your gear was, and how much it would hurt you to replace it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I second using a dedicated "home" hammock system. Weight won't be a big factor, so why not use seat belt straps for tree huggers, heavy duty cheap tarp, etc? Then you just have to worry about your quilts. Of course, you could cheap out on those, too, and use a sleeping bag TQ, etc.

I guess it depends on why you want to hang out for the rest of the winter. Do you want to test your gear, or yourself, or both?

Every now and then we get really windy days here during the winter. I could imagine coming home and finding my TQ many yards away, hung up in raspberry brambles if I left it out some days.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

The "home hammock system" sounds like a good idea for a full season outside, especially the cheap tarp. I'll leave mine setup in the backyard for a week at a time about once a month just to spend a few nights outdoors and test different setups. I bring my quilts in since that takes seconds, but leave my tarp and hammock set up. I went with ripstop poly which they say is more UV resistant.

I figure if my gear can't cut it outside for a week a month, then I bought/made the wrong gear.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey guys...really great responses and info. Thanks!

I must say, Im pleasantly surprised and also slightly disappointed. Surprised cuz I was thinking that I was "babying" my gear...and it turns out you guys are just as concerned about messing up your quality gear as I am. If not more so.
    For some reason, I was under the impression that most of you leave your gear out for extended periods of time and I would get the "that's what quality gear is made for" response.
    Slightly disappointed cuz it means Ill have to alter my plans somewhat....no biggie.

Back to the gear. What really concerned me the most was critters getting into the quilts. For being such an awesome and specialized piece of gear, they are delicate and I could see any number of little guys just tearing into them and making a home. If I had the tarp up indefinitely, that would also concern me. But Ive always been pretty good about only deploying the tarp when I actually need it. I like to see the sky so it would go into the snake skins most of the time anyways. Im going to go with your guys advice and just take it down every day. I might leave the tarp strung up for a few days in the skins but the hammock/quilts will come in with me every day in a bundle. Ill just use some climbing biners as a quick disconnect.

As far as going the cheap tarp/pad route, I don't want to do that. I saved the money and took the time to carefully choose my gear so I plan to use it. If I need to take it down every day to preserve it, so be it. It will just give me that much more practice.

Also, I don't need to sleep outside EVERY nite. Its just an idea...or goal. Its not really about testing the gear (although I would like to see how cold I can get down to). Just something to do for fun. It wont bother me if I don't do every nite, 3-4 nites a week will be fine by me.

Thanks for the help. You guys might have just saved me from possibly destroying my gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    Being new to hammocks I think using my gear is important. While I may not be looking to sleep outside all the time, I do think its a good idea to get used to sleeping in a hammock. Practicing setting up and tearing down. My thought is the more I use it, the more I learn, and the more I learn the more comfortable I am with what I am doing. Beyond that, testing gear in different weather situations, while having a clear escape is a must for me. As I do a lot of solo hiking, knowing what I and my gear can handle is valuable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast