Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Thanks everyone. I am ordering a WB Winter Yeti tomorrow. With that and the rest I feel pretty good. If it looks like it may get below 0 I will stay in Asheville and drink some beers.

Think I am ok to 0 degrees? Of course keeping in mind the wind cant be too strong. I think I will double up the quilts, too, and bring my S2S Hot liner.

Mark - hows the weather up on Sugar lately? I went to ASU a long time ago.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sadorno View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am ordering a WB Winter Yeti tomorrow. With that and the rest I feel pretty good. If it looks like it may get below 0 I will stay in Asheville and drink some beers.

Think I am ok to 0 degrees? Of course keeping in mind the wind cant be too strong. I think I will double up the quilts, too, and bring my S2S Hot liner.

Mark - hows the weather up on Sugar lately? I went to ASU a long time ago.
    You'll know the weather (or at least an idea of what to expect) before you get there. So, I think you're plan may work. Bring extra layers just in case :-)

Weather on Sugar: slopes aren't even open yet. It's crazy warm right now. Tomorrow's high is 54 -- and Friday's low is supposed to be right around 20. And then (as of right now), it'll be a high of 60 on Christmas day! I think next month is going to be brutal, though.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    I agree. I think once winter kicks in it's going to be ugly. I am going up to Banner Elk in March cant wait.

I just ordered the 0 degree Yeti. Frankly, I am more afraid of my wife than the weather. This trip is going to cost more than a week in Hawaii after all the gear I have had to buy. lol. The research part is half the fun.

Thanks again everyone. I will keep y'all posted.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    How was your trip? Reason for my question is that I also think about buying the Warbonnet Travel Sock XL for my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC (I love being out, also when it is cold). Did you encounter some cold weather? What was your experience using the Warbonnet Travel Sock XL. Did it bring the effect you were hoping to get.
    Thanks&cheers, Frank

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Sorry for the slow reply. We made it and it went incredibly well. Thanks to everyone on this forum I was able to sleep warmly and with no issues.

It was 20 degrees with 15-25 knot winds and I was so warm I didnt need to wear a hat to sleep. The sock was incredible and I highly recommend it. I would not do a mountain trip under 30 without it now. Its like having a tent in the air.

Here is a link to a video I made of the trip. It may help show what it was like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5UW00KEX4

Thanks all!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thank you for your reply and video. I like the expression 'tent in the air'. Next week we are going skiing in the Swiss Alps. Back at 1500m and at ca. -5 Degree C (ca 5000ft, 23F) I will try to sleep in my WB. Lowest so far was 40F. I think 20F will be the lowest for without sock (I will get it around April).

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    30 will be fine if you have a good underquilt. DEFINITELY use the hot water bottle technique it makes ALL the difference and I cant stress it enough. Its a game changer. I went with a Navy Seal and he even agreed that its awesome LOL!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Funny, the last thing I packed yesterday was my Nalgene bottle

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sadorno View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply. We made it and it went incredibly well. Thanks to everyone on this forum I was able to sleep warmly and with no issues.

It was 20 degrees with 15-25 knot winds and I was so warm I didnt need to wear a hat to sleep. The sock was incredible and I highly recommend it. I would not do a mountain trip under 30 without it now. Its like having a tent in the air.

Here is a link to a video I made of the trip. It may help show what it was like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5UW00KEX4

Thanks all!
    You should put that video in the trip report section.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Cool. I will thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast